GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just bought a Goldwing tour 2018 with a manual transmission.

I am already wondering if I can have it upgraded to the DCT automatic transmission.

Does anyone know if such an upgrade is available from Honda?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
No. Well, with enough money, anything is possible. New engine, new wiring harness, new instrument cluster, new left side controls....

I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" either...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Take your manual to a dealer and trade it in. No chance of doing it any other way. Unless you find a DCT owner who wants to go backward to a manual.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Sure you can.

It's called 'trade-in' on the DCT model.

Hint: You'll probably lose less money doing it this way than you would if you tried to make a DCT bike out of a manual.

luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You mean "downgrade" to the DCT? No automatic transmission ever made since 1950 is an "upgrade" in any way vs a manual transmission.
So is that why all my manual transmission cars were cheaper than automatics?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi All

Just bought a Goldwing tour 2018 with a manual transmission.

I am already wondering if I can have it upgraded to the DCT automatic transmission.

Does anyone know if such an upgrade is available from Honda?
Honda would love to help you upgrade to a DCT. It's called a trade in. They have the complete upgrade kit available on a showroom floor near you. All it takes is money.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
You mean "downgrade" to the DCT? No automatic transmission ever made since 1950 is an "upgrade" in any way vs a manual transmission.
The DCT is a manual transmission with a programmed electronic shifter.

That said, the automatic transmissions I have had in my vehicles are vast improvements over the manuals I have had. My hydrostatic tractor is way easier to operate than my manual, although the geared tractor uses less fuel oil.

prs

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fully redesigned 2020 Chevrolet Corvette comes standard with a dual clutch transmission to handle the 495 horsepower. Must be more better than a manual tranny?:drive1:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. I am pleased that some of you prefer the manual.
That being the case I should try out the DCT before considering a trade in.

I do not want to end up asking if I can upgrade a DCT to a manual. ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ride both bikes and decide what you like. What anyone else prefers or their opinions on transmissions DCT vs. 6 speed manual does NOT matter, your opinion does. Only way to change trannies sensibly is to trade in/ sell etc, then acquire what YOU want. Some comments herein are truly helpful, others are merely trolls trying to alibi why their decision should fit everyone else. Its simple really.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
by all means test drive before but you have to test drive it properly. ask for tips on riding a DCT. dont come back saying, for instance, I didnt like how it upshifted in the middle of a turn.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Make the dealer due the CIP for you, or, you due the CIP after riding about 10 mile to warm up the transmission. IMO it is the only way to make sure your getting the REAL Honda DCT experiences.
Read Fred Harmons proceedure At the top of the 1833 first page.

Reactions: Drgsin
1 - 19 of 19 Posts