GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

I am getting ready to take another daughter / father ride and Cassie / I will be crossing into Canada for a few days.

I have e-mailed my insurance agent asking if my US coverage is good in Canada.

I am just looking to get a little more information early; is US insurance good in Canada or do I need to get temporary motorcycle insurance? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
618 Posts
Your insurance company will give you a temp card at no charge.

·
Registered
21,057 Posts
Your insurance company will give you a temp card at no charge.
yup thats the way it worked for me, Geico sent a card that verified i was covered in Canada, but u have to ask for it, for some unknown reason they don't just send the card out with your policy, make sure u get the card before the trip because without proof of insurance Canadian customs could refuse to let u in, i have been across the border about 4 times and they have never asked to see proof of insurance

enjoy your trip ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup thats the way it worked for me, Geico sent a card that verified i was covered in Canada, but u have to ask for it, for some unknown reason they don't just send the card out with your policy, make sure u get the card before the trip because without proof of insurance Canadian customs could refuse to let u in, i have been across the border about 4 times and they have never asked to see proof of insurance

THANKS! I always enjoy visiting our GREAT NEIGHBOR to the North!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Shane, two years ago I made a trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and obtained the insurance cards previously mentioned before leaving. (State Farm).

BTW, remember that you will most likely need passports to return to the U. S. And, I used my credit card and U. S. dollars for purchases w/o any problems.

Have a wonderful and safe trip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also am planning a trip into Canada. In my past visits I have been by car but insurance coverage has never come up when crossing the border. Does being on a bike make a difference? Has anyone that has a card showing that they have coverage in Canada ever been asked to show the card?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've never heard of anyone being asked to prove insurance crossing the border. I suppose it is possible. Have you been asked to prove it?

Assuming you have insurance, why would your US insurance not cover you in Canada on a trip?

Likewise I have not heard of Canadian car insurance not covering a trip to the US.

Who is aware of specific cases where it has been an issue? Just curious about particular circumstances to watch out for.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I've been to Canada several times. I've never been asked at the border crossings if I had insurance. What I've been told by non-Canadians is that if you get in an accident in Canada you will need your temporary insurance card, with the dates of your visit clearly showing.

Remember the insurance companies send you your cards before the premiums are fully paid. It's very easy to get your cards with your first payment, then skip the remainder of your obligation. The temporary ins. card is definite proof that you have coverage during that particular time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would expect if you are stopped by the police you WILL need proof of insurance. Without that proof you could be in for a hard time and/or a fine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've never heard of anyone being asked to prove insurance crossing the border. I suppose it is possible. Have you been asked to prove it?

Assuming you have insurance, why would your US insurance not cover you in Canada on a trip?

Likewise I have not heard of Canadian car insurance not covering a trip to the US.

Who is aware of specific cases where it has been an issue? Just curious about particular circumstances to watch out for.

Thanks
:agree: I'm a Canadian, and our insurance covers us in the USA...we don't need to call our insurance company to see if we're covered...I would assume you're insurance is the same...but I've read alot of you Americans asking the same question so maybe you should call and ask...have a safe trip...we're travelling to Ohio this week, but on 4 wheels not 2....ride safe...

Scott

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
I also am planning a trip into Canada. In my past visits I have been by car but insurance coverage has never come up when crossing the border. Does being on a bike make a difference? Has anyone that has a card showing that they have coverage in Canada ever been asked to show the card?

No difference at all
The only time you will be asked for proof is by a peace officer if you were pulled over for something ( you MUST have proof on you!!

Be aware of BC's new driving ?speeding laws as well
.05 or over 40 KM over posted ...
your bike WILL be seized for 72 hrs
NO APPEAL!!!!!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The only insurance I worry about when travelling south is health insurance! I'm covered for $5 million + medi-vac back to Calgary! We wouldn't step one foot in your country without it! Any Canadian travelling south without insurance is a fool! Geesh, I heard your hospitals charge $50 just for a band-aid! :wrong:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only insurance I worry about when travelling south is health insurance! I'm covered for $5 million + medi-vac back to Calgary! We wouldn't step one foot in your country without it! Any Canadian travelling south without insurance is a fool! Geesh, I heard your hospitals charge $50 just for a band-aid! :wrong:
We go to Walmart for band-aids... Pretty cheap there. Don't require insurance or anything! :>)

Going to Quebec City in two weeks. Looking forward to cooler temps! I hope...

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
This thread caught my attention several days ago when it was posted.

I'm planning a trip to ride into Canada and around Lake Superior in a clockwise direction in a few weeks. I had never thought about any special insurance or insurance card for driving in Canada.

I've driven my truck in Canada many times as a private individual pulling my own fifthwheel trailer and as an RV transporter delivering new travel trailers in BC, AB, SK, and ON. I've never been asked for any proof of insurance that I recall and never had anything but my own standard US proof of insurance card if I was asked.

I called Progressive who insures my Goldwing and asked. I was told I am supposed to have an insurance card issued by my insurance company as proof that I am insured in Canada.

Progressive said they are mailing me the card. The card is apparently something different from the glove compartment card they mail out with policy renewals.

·
Registered
546 Posts

:agree:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts