GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a ride up the north shore drive into Canada and over to the falls. I will be pulling my escapade trailer. I live in Oklahoma which does not require a plate on a utility trailer. Is this going to be a problem crossing the border into Canada? From what I have found so far I don't think its a problem but would like to hear from those that have made the trip.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I have no experience at all with motorcycle trailers but considerable experience with RV trailers in 49 states and Canada. I think its probable you'll be pulled over by law enforcement officers. They may not ticket you but the stops may become a hassle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Planning a ride up the north shore drive into Canada and over to the falls. I will be pulling my escapade trailer. I live in Oklahoma which does not require a plate on a utility trailer. Is this going to be a problem crossing the border into Canada? From what I have found so far I don't think its a problem but would like to hear from those that have made the trip.
What no comment from Rider Steve?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I found an e-mail addrress for them and have sent the question to them to get a definitive answer. I will post their reply for all to see.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I was in Canada last June and they never even ask about plates or registration for bike or trailer. (going or returning) Crossed in North Dakota

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the Ministry of transportation today and ask about the tag on my escapade trailer. The gentleman said he has never heard of a small trailer behind a motorcycle needing a tag and it should be no problem entering into Canada. He was also surprised that I could travel all over the U.S. without a tag on my trailer. With that said, I called our local tag office here and they can issue me a tag for my trailer for $7.00, good for one year. A small price to pay to help ensure entry into Canada.

I will call the Ministry of transportation the day before and verify I don't need a tag. If they tell me again I don't need one I will not worry about it but will have the utility tag with me just in case.

So I guess the answer to my question is "no you don't need a tag on a motorcycle trailer, Maybe" I will post here again on the outcome.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did the circle tour of Lake Superior last summer, no one questioned lack of plate on out trailer or anyone else's in our group of 24 bikes. In Wi we dont need to licsense a mc trailer.

Have a good trip, enjoy.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts