GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent post on here about entering Canada and Canada's gun control laws. As always it turned into what seemed to be country bashing with many saying we have better laws than you do because we can carry guns or vice versa. Please, I do not want to make this thread to be about gun control, it is not. First let me say that I am a Canadian and as a Canadian I believe and feel that Canada is the best country in the world to live. I also believe that Americans believe and feel that the US is the best country in the world to live as well they should. I do however, get very annoyed when people of either country get a holier than thou attitude and diss the other country when many times they have no idea what they are talking about. I grew up in a city of just under 50,000 called Cornwall, Ontario and from our school yard we could see the US across the St. Lawrence River. As a result of that I have been exposed to Americans and the USA since I was a child and you know what? I like Americans! For the last 8 years I have worked almost exclusively in the USA and I have made some very good friends that I have till this day. I don't give a damn if you are a Canadian or an American when it comes to whether I like you or not. The person you are is what counts to me. I could go on for hours about how well I have been treated here in the US both by co-workers and people I have met on this board. I have never even once been remotely made to feel unwelcome in the US whether I am here on business or on my bike for pleasure and I would like to think that the reverse is true. We have the longest unprotected border in the world and why is that? Because we are kindred spirits and our morals and our standards and our values are very much the same. I am treated extremely well here in the US and Americans say “thank you” when I hold the door open for them. They say "you are welcome" when I say "thank you". I do not feel and have never felt my life was ever in jeopardy while I am in the US primarily because I take no chances and stay in areas where I feel safe as I do when I am in Toronto or Montreal.

I would just like to extend my hand in friendship to any American that ever comes to Ottawa because you have sure extended yours to me. I consider many on this board as my close personal friends and always will. You know who you are, there are just too many to mention. We have two wonderful countries, let's enjoy our similarities and rejoice in our differences.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Rick, When I think or talk to you your nationality does not even come into play. You are a human, and thats all that matters to me. Whether you are white, black, hispanic etc, I dont care. You are fine gentleman, and proud to be considered your friend. BTW, Krista misses you!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
RRIXX<

I shake your Hand!

However, whenever you are in Woodbourne, you are at risk for many things...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice post RRIXX.

Hope to get to meet you and shake your hand some day.

Dep

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
RRIXX

RRIXX,

That goes for me too.... If you ever find yourself in or around Boston, I will not only shake your hand I will buy you a nice big lobster (laab-staa) as we say it here. And as a bonus to my Northern friend I will no longer rib you about how you spell certian words!!<<<<<

Matt(Ashland,MA) :yes: :chef2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very well said RIXX. I completely share your sentiments. I can understand some old fashioned ribbing about our two great countries but could not understand when the conversation took on a tone of nastiness. I think we should have you working as out ambassador.

My only regrets from my work term in Ottawa last year was that we never did get to have that coffee we talked about. Next time you swing through the Maritimes look me up. I am in Moncton.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very well said RIXX. I completely share your sentiments. I can understand some old fashioned ribbing about our two great countries but could not understand when the conversation took on a tone of nastiness. I think we should have you working as out ambassador.

My only regrets from my work term in Ottawa last year was that we never did get to have that coffee we talked about. Next time you swing through the Maritimes look me up. I am in Moncton.

W

·
0 Posts
RRIXX

I for one always like our communications here on this board, and recognized
some years back you are a true Canadian and love for your country.
Even though we never met, you always were of interest to me because I never communicated,
or personally knew a real live true Canadian.
Your postings about your life living to the north land my friend and neighbor will always be of interest to us and your always welcome to cross
the border and say Hi, either for pleasure or business.
Another thing about you that stands out with me is your sense-of-humor. That alone shows
your love of man and country, and don't ever lose that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm with RIXX on this one. It seems the ones that travel and have experienced the company of both peoples are the ones that can call each other friends.
The ones that haven't travelled and been to other counties are the ignorant ones.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Great Post.

Similar thoughts to Goldwing vs Harley. We can joke about what each other rides, but the important bond is that we ride.

Canada, eh.........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hehehehe, we feel the same darn way down here in Texas.....LOL.

Toward Canada, that is.

Mac

L

·
0 Posts
Great post and I couldn't agree more. Now if we could only do something about Toronto! :)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
It's Aboot Time A :lol:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well said RRIXX, thank you from the West Coast.

Now show them 'mericans how proficient you are in our other language. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
poleman said:
Now show them 'mericans how proficient you are in our other language. :twisted:
Which one was that? Neufie?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Well said, my friend. After meeting you at Wingstock, when someone mentions Canada, I think about you.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
You been reading Woman's Day again? Dry your eyes, take a man pill and start thinking about getting a few days off next summer for a ride out west.

·
Registered
210 Posts
RRIX........ We fish in canada every year in may and june. Never seen any nicer folks than the canadians. Its a pleasure to come to your country and feel welcome. The only spot we dread in crossing the border, as where the guards look ya over pretty good. We just answer there questions and smile really big....say thank you then go fishing....Great post. :flg:

·
Registered
762 Posts
RRIXX, well put, we spend lots of time in Canada have family and loads of friends there. Each Country has their own laws enjoy the country your visiting and abide by the laws, I don't see the problem. I must have missed the article. They are laws not the people, we have laws in this country which are not to my liking as well.
So have a greta day and don't let it bother you.
Top :wink:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts