GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PMS Day. Time to plan my summer trips.

Option 1. Has anyone taken tis loop and is a good route. Enter in to Canada at Windsor, up to Sarnia and take 21 up the shore and cross the ferry over to South Baymouth. And then hwy 17 over to Sault STE, Marie. Possible make loop up around Thunder Bay.

Option 2. Enter again At Windsor and run Hwy 3 over to Niagara Falls. Through Upstate NY and through the White Mountains of NH and on into Maine.

Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in Sarnia. Option 1 is a great ride, except for driving through Detroit. Why don't you skirt around Detroit on I 69 and come across the border at Sarnia. The border crossing is the end of I 94, and I 69 ends at I 94 in Port Huron.

The ride up around the lakes is absolutely beautiful. You'll enjoy the ferry ride too.

I rode 272 miles two days ago (Wednesday) on my bike (it got all the way up to 43 degrees), much of it on and around Highway 3. It's a nice ride too, but not the same as riding north around the lake.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bro that is up to you guys I got the whole month. Sent an email out and see who the taker are. Probably be more up to you, Dan, Mike, and Chris.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Option 1 is the best. All we have not done was ride the ferry. Other then that we have traveled that route. You need to make reservations for the ferry along with motel if your planning on doing this in July or August.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What Rick said. Right on.
I did that route three times.

Took the ferry. Never did make reservations. I used the waiting time to rest and walk about and go for a feed of fish and chips at the take out close to the terminal.

I enjoy that ride.
Mac

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two Good Options

Hi Donnie

I've done both routes several times. Both are excellent !

BUT, my favourite by a small margin would be Option 1. The reasons are that the sky is bluer, water is bluer, fields are greener, and less traffic. Highway 17 around Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful roads in North America.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Enjoy the beaches while riding from Windsor along the East coast of Lake HUron
2) After you get off the ferry at Baymouth, tour around the island ! Manitoulin Island.
3) Once you are on Highway 17 going West, turn north at Thessalon onto Highway 129, and go to the Highway 101 at Chapleau. Go west on 101 to Wawa, then West of 17.
4) Be sure to stop at the lookouts along the way. The views of Lake Superior are amazing
5) Be sure to stop at the Terry Fox monument just before Thunder Bay and read the story about him. He is a Canadian hero. He did 183 consecutive days of marathon runs (26 miles) and he had one artificial leg

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Re: Two Good Options

jstephensca said:
Hi Donnie

3) Once you are on Highway 17 going West, turn north at Thessalon onto Highway 129, and go to the Highway 101 at Chapleau. Go west on 101 to Wawa, then West of 17.
4) Be sure to stop at the lookouts along the way. The views of Lake Superior are amazing

Hope this helps.
If you take option 3 then head south from Wawa and visit Lake Superior Provincial Park. The most spectacular views and scenery of the lake are here. Also make sure the tank is full before turning off 17 and again at Chapleau. Lots of wilderness up there.

If you decide on the other route there are lots of ways through New York that avoid all cities (other than Niagara Falls) to Vermont.

Pete

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you are planning on going around Lake Superior, all I can say is DO IT!!! I thought you were just thinking of going to the Sault Ste Marie then heading back south. We have went around Lake Superior twice now on the bikes and would do it again in a second. Highway 17 has little traffic, great pavement, great sites, you will be right on Lake Superior a lot of the ride. Remember that it can and will get down into the low 40's in July if the wind is blowing off the lake. If it is raining it even feels colder. You will see a lot of water falls and mouth dropping views of Superior. Remember to fill up your bike before you leave the Sault Ste Marie and then again when you get to WaWa. It is a long ways between gas stations. Lots of mom and pop motels along the route, you will not need to make reservations. When you get around to the west side of Lake Superior in MN make sure you stop into "Betty's Pies" no matter what time you go through. They sell something like 2000 pies around the world per day. They have great food and fast service.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep it coming guys, this is sounding better all the time. I have made the option b trip before, but none of the ones I will be with have. Blue wing you mentioned rain. is there a lot of rain in June there?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Lake Superior run is an excellent ride, as mentioned above the scenery is incredible. We did a ride in the summer of 05 from Vermont to the Soo (we were trying to outrun the rain from Katrina), and when we got up to the north, we could almost think we were back in Vermont again. I'm at work right now, but if you like I will email you some pics we took up there.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Don't bring your your handgun. The Canadian Customs frown on them a bit. JMHO

Shadow1

Hal

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Dive Master said:
Option 2. Enter again At Windsor and run Hwy 3 over to Niagara Falls
Before you get to St Thomas, jump off Hwy 3 down to Port Stanley, then follow CR24 and CR 42 closer to the shore of Lake Erie, through Port Burwell and Port Rowan till you get to Port Dover. If you're going in April or July (2007) try and time it to be in Port Dover for Friday the 13th. One of the biggest (if not THE biggest) bike fests in Ontario happens there EVERY Friday the 13th..., rain or shine or snow. Sleepy little seaside town of about 12,000 blossoms out to over 100,000, especially for those summer month Friday the 13th events.

After you leave Port Dover, take Lakeshore Rd aournd Nanticoke generating station to "old" Hwy 3 (not the main one) and follow it to Dunneville, where you'll meet up with the main Hwy 3. Take 3 all the way into Ft Erie and then follow the Niagara River Pkwy all the way to Niagara Falls.

From there, if you're planning on going to the east coast, amble down through New York state and the Finger Lakes area. Just south of Buffalo (before you get to the Finger Lakes) take a morning or afternoon and go through Letchworth State Park, one of the best kept secrets in the east and often referred to as the Grand Canyon of the east. Drive the park from south to north, and stop at EVERY lookout.

Once you get out of the park you're almost into the Finger Lakes.

Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Northern Blue, thanks for the pics. Question about the one on the ferry, the tiedowns were just rope? I take it you need to bring your own?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yea Donnie, they are just ropes. They are looped on one end to put through the eyes in the floor, and they provide them for you. You usually get waved to the front of the line because they want us on first and off first, which is a real time saving bonus, as the Chichimaun Ferry hold alot of vehicles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dive Master,

The ferry provides tie downs - no worries there. The ride up the coast of Huron is nice. Port Elgin is worth the stop - nice boardwalk along the beach. So is the beach at Sauble Beach. The ride from South Bay up to Hwy 17 is really great. I rode the route July 06 and the road were perfect. There was only about 5 klm of construction. Watch your speed. 15-18 klm over the limit is ok. Past that the OPP will stop you. Dusk / dawn riding risks moose and deer hits. Other then that is pretty good. Fun passing semi's and trialers on this route.

As mentioned fill up in Sault Ste Marie and Wawa. B & B's are nice up that way. Thunder Bay is worth a stop and visit.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don, thanks for the invite, but there may be 5 or 6 couples. Will however let you know when for sure we will be through. Nothing like the Canadian hospitality and I mean that sincerely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts