GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what our Canadian friends are hearing about the border re-opening?

We're planning a trip to Jasper, AB in September...if the border re-opens.

Any good scuttlebutt out there?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Current restrictions set to end June 21st so there is talk about June 22 but talk ie nothing official. Currently there are restriction on travel within my own province of British Columbia. I am allowed to travel within my Health region that is about 100 miles. Since I live in Vancouver, to the West is and ocean, to the South is the closed US border, to the east is restricted so that one highway going North is really well used.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Current restrictions set to end June 21st so there is talk about June 22 but talk ie nothing official. Currently there are restriction on travel within my own province of British Columbia. I am allowed to travel within my Health region that is about 100 miles. Since I live in Vancouver, to the West is and ocean, to the South is the closed US border, to the east is restricted so that one highway going North is really well used.
Are you talking about the Sea to Sky highway ? If there was one road I would never get tired of it would be that road.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The border closure was extended to July 21st :mad:

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The border closure was extended to July 21st :mad:
As it has been every month, "extended" for another month.
There have been some discussions with the Ontario government and MN about allowing vaccinated US/MN owners of Canadian property (of which there are many) to be allowed access to inspect and/or maintain their cabins and properties. There have been numerous reports of storm damage, intrusion (human and animal), vandalism and thefts to remote cabin property locations. So far, I have not heard of a resolution to this proposal.
I just don't expect to see a real border opening until summer season is over. Unfortunately....

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Going to Spain and France in a month. Canada takes its queue from Europe, so they'll follow suit before long, but not soon enough to preserve the riding season to Alaska.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had just bought a brand new bridge pass ((the bridge into Fort Frances from I Falls, MN is privately owned and has a toll, which is much less cost when pre-purchased as a pass card) when the border closed in March of 2020. The card expires time wise whether used or not unfortunately and there are no refunds. The relative cost of the pass card is minimal but not getting our fall fishing trip in 2020, all winter of ice fishing and spring 2021 open water fishing trip(s) has put a real damper on the urge to make any more plans-at least for the current season.
Canada had seen a bit of a hotspot in some areas recently for the Covid virus and seemed to really drop the chances of reopening for a while. I can't imagine how the outfitter resorts are coping financially. A whole lot of boats and float planes still sitting idle.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, stick a fork in me, I'm done for this year:mad:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yep, no sense making plans that have only a limited possibility of being able to follow thru on.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Sorry Jimmy I knew that you really wanted to make the trip this year.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a sorry situation. We are still cautiously optimistic that the border will re-open in time for our early September ride up to Jasper...but understand we may have to re-route our ride through Idaho and Utah, just in case. Certainly not the end of the world. Canadian tourism must really be suffering...

·
Registered
8,078 Posts
After all my years of international travel, and living next to Canada for 18 years, I'm perfectly happy to just ride in the US. Even let my passport expire.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
It's a sorry situation. We are still cautiously optimistic that the border will re-open in time for our early September ride up to Jasper...but understand we may have to re-route our ride through Idaho and Utah, just in case. Certainly not the end of the world. Canadian tourism must really be suffering...
Hit me up when ya get close to Utah, maybe we can ride together for awhile.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts