GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us Canucks it appears we have an auto stop feature on the DCT that shuts off the engine when you stop for more than 3 seconds. Engine starts up again when you twist the throttle. Do most of you disable this feature or is it a feature that you like and use?

Beagle

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I leave it enabled in the settings menu.

I leave it off (start button setting)-- usually.

Some traffic situations are 'stop-and-wait', like at a road construction zone that has alternating traffic. In those locations I'd likely have switched the a non-idle stop bike to ACC so engine would stop and audio would continue to run. With iCdn 1833, a press of the start button will activate the idle stop, which achieves the same result.

When again able to travel, without idle stop you'd turn ignition key back to run and engage starter, with idle stop you twist and go.

Farmgal has it shut off in the settings menu on hers.

It's easy to switch it on and off with the start button 'til you figure out what you prefer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was disconcerting at first, but now I use it all the time. If I want to keep the engine running, I just blip the throttle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I remember correctly, activating hill start should also start the engine.

For some reason, mine does not work at the moment, probably low temperature plus activated grip/seat heating keeps the battery save by not restart all the time.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Used it in the beginning (1 week) then turned the thing off! If I want the bike turned off in traffic, I can turn it off myself! But, why would I?? To save fuel? LOL! On a car, maybe. On a motorcycle, a bit gimmicky! :shrug:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Used it in the beginning (1 week) then turned the thing off! If I want the bike turned off in traffic, I can turn it off myself! But, why would I?? To save fuel? LOL! On a car, maybe. On a motorcycle, a bit gimmicky! :shrug:
my ford f150 has it and I hate it. Im guessing in about 5 years ford will be replacing alot of starters.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies peeps.

My Cadillac SUV has it and it can't be disabled so I have to live with it. I don't find it an issue, but on a motorcycle, I don't know what to think.

I guess I will try it and see how it goes.

Beagle

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If I remember correctly, activating hill start should also start the engine.

For some reason, mine does not work at the moment, probably low temperature plus activated grip/seat heating keeps the battery save by not restart all the time.
uIn the following conditions, the engine
will not stop by the Idling Stop system.
- Rider is not sitting astride the
motorcycle.
- Transmission is in Neutral (N).
- Battery is weak or temperature of
battery is low.
- Hill Start Assist (HSA) is operated.

OR, you may have hit the start button with the engine running and switched it off.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the replies peeps.

My Cadillac SUV has it and it can't be disabled so I have to live with it. I don't find it an issue, but on a motorcycle, I don't know what to think.
I guess I will try it and see how it goes.Beagle
We can discuss it at the Chapter meeting April 8 @ 6pm! See you there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I leave it enabled. The engine shutting off is a good reminder to check my mirrors for approaching cars not paying attention. The restart of the engine is so fast, I don't worry about being able to get out of the way in a hurry.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 14 of 14 Posts