GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some of my brothers from the north can set me straight on insurance requirements when crossing into Canada from the US. I have been told that we must have in our possession some document from our insurance company that affirms the motorcycle is insured while in Canada. Others tell me they cross the border regularly and have never been asked for such proof. Can someone enlighten me?
Several hundred of us Blue Knights will be attending a convention in Calgary this summer and need to be properly documented.

Thanks

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
your local agent can give you a paper to show proof of canadian insurance--no charge

at the crossing they can ask for it, and can hold you up over it

its painless to get what they require, so dont pass it off

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am hoping some of my brothers from the north can set me straight on insurance requirements when crossing into Canada from the US. I have been told that we must have in our possession some document from our insurance company that affirms the motorcycle is insured while in Canada. Others tell me they cross the border regularly and have never been asked for such proof. Can someone enlighten me?
Several hundred of us Blue Knights will be attending a convention in Calgary this summer and need to be properly documented.

Thanks
Whenever I go up there, I just call my agent ahead of time and he sends me a little yellow card that basically says I have enough insurance to meet Canadian minimums. They've checked it once at the border crossing.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Most companies cover you for North America, excluding Mexico, that you pick up before you enter. Ask your insurance company to give you a copy of your policy...it should state right in it, where you are covered. You should still have some kind of documentation from your insurance company to prove your insurance, but probably only need it if you are pulled over by a LEO. I have never heard of the Custom's people ever asking for it at the border though!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Border Agents (both US and Canadian) have little or no interest in your insurance coverage, as it's not their responsibility. If you look/act suspicious, or you just happen to be the unlucky one to win a secondary check at the border, they may ask you for all sorts of documentation. The only place you'll really need to produce insurance documentation is if stopped by a LEO, or if you're involved in an accident.

It's like an international driver licence..., it doesn't mean much, but it helps to explain to local authorities what your out-of-country paperwork means. Without it, it could mean long and unnecessary delays getting things sorted out. Dont leave home without it! ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Border Agents (both US and Canadian) have little or no interest in your insurance coverage, as it's not their responsibility. ;)
Last year was the first time they ever checked it in all the trips up there. Surprised me too.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Last year was the first time they ever checked it in all the trips up there. Surprised me too.
If they have increased security, they make check various documentation, but the situation is, vehicle insurance is a provincial law, but Border Agents are federal. In other words, insurance requirements vary from province to province. The responsibility for checking insurance falls to the various Provincial and/or municipal police. In provinces without provincial police, the responsibility is usually covered by the RCMP.

Having said all that, since 9-11, anything's possible... ;)

-

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess I'll find out - LOL. We're going up to the Gaspe in August so we'll be crossing into Quebec instead of into Nova Scotia. Maybe it was just that one agent, who knows.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't forget your Passport. US drivers license doesn't hack it anymore:coffee1:

Lance

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. It's been years since I crossed into Canada but a friend said he was asked for insurance proof last summer when crossing. I will get something from my ins. company just to avoid any problems.

Harper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts