GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I asked for some help planning our '06 trip to Glacier NP from Michigan. We got some awesome advice on roads, scenery, side trips, campgrounds and more.

We had such a great time that I would once again like to ask for help planning our big trip for '07. Again we will be looking at the first week of July. I will ride the Wing out there towing the Bunkhouse and My wife will fly into Calgary.

We will have about 10 days to camp and sight see in the area, plus my travel time on each end. Any experience, pictures or advice you may be willing to share will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look at the postings pn this same site asbout Glacier, Banff, Jaspeer, Idaho etc. BC in the east is awesome, especially around Revelstoke , Kaslo etc. Are you going to Wingding in Billings? It'd be on the way, but get reservations early - like NOW. I lived over in Belding for about 18 years, now in Idaho. Drop by. Don

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far. Does anybody have any information about campgrounds in the area? Last year when we were at Glacier we parked the BunkHouse at the KOA in West Glacier and took day trips from there except for an overnight trip up the east side of the Park into Waterton for the night. The next day we rode on west and south, back to our BunkHouse home at the KOA. It worked out very well and we are wondering if that kind of plan will work in the Canadian Rockies area in '07, or if we should plan to keep moving camp every day or 2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lots of cgrounds asround Banff and Lake Louise, a few north towards Jasper, and at least one in Tete' Jaune Cache. All the way from KOA-like to primitive like Forest Service here in the states. Some around Jasper too, but they fill up early, as Jasper is kinda spendy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks imacbxdr

I would like to find a campground or 2 that have decent restrooms and showers where we can make reservations ahead of time. Do you have any specific recomendations??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't help with campgrounds but can tell you that we went to Banff and Jasper. Then to Kamloops. From there took a highway, number unknown, that friends from Nanimo recommended. Took us from Kamloops to Liloheet, Premerton and Whistler and west. The 4 us decided it was probably the most beautiful ride we had ever taken.

Thniking of going back in07 and staying a couple days in Liloheet and riding all around the area.

If interested let me know and I will find our travel info and give you more info.

·
Registered
872 Posts
dougrice said:
I can't help with campgrounds but can tell you that we went to Banff and Jasper. Then to Kamloops. From there took a highway, number unknown, that friends from Nanimo recommended. Took us from Kamloops to Liloheet, Premerton and Whistler and west. The 4 us decided it was probably the most beautiful ride we had ever taken.

Thniking of going back in07 and staying a couple days in Liloheet and riding all around the area.

If interested let me know and I will find our travel info and give you more info.
That's Hwy 99, runs through Lillooet to Pemberton, then Whistler and Vancouver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I normally lurk on here but since I live in Vancouver I thought these few links and suggestions might help

buy the BC version of this book ( I hear stocks are running low btw and a reprint is a few years off)

http://www.destinationhighways.com/

Contact Alberta & BC Tourism

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm

http://www1.travelalberta.com/en-ca/

They will send you amazing amount of free stuff, ask for extra maps because you are on a motorcycle :)

Consider doing a loop from the top of Vancouver Island to Price Rupert using the BC Ferry system

The new car ferry will be in service and you will be able to follow the cruise ships up the inside passage

Here is a sample route from their site

http://www.bcferries.com/travel_plannin ... route.html

Be wary of riding in and out of Bella Coola the road may be more road than you are comfortable on

Access: Bella Coola, British Columbia, can be accessed by land or by water. This scenic 440 km (272 mi.) trip across BC's Chilcotin Country from Williams Lake (1,000 km from Vancouver) becomes quite spectacular when you drive the steep hill into the Bella Coola Valley.

"The Freedom Road" as it once appeared.
The Hill: The famous Bella Coola hill is the point on Highway 20 where the Coast Mountain Range begins and the descent into the Bella Coola Valley starts. At Heckman Pass - the highest point - drivers reach an elevation of about 1524 m (5000 ft.). Approximately 30 km (20 miles) of winding, narrow, unpaved road precede the hill. 'The Hill' itself consists of one 10 km (6 mile) stretch of switchbacks, with grades to 18% in that section.

The Hill was once called the "Freedom Road" because it provided a route out of the Bella Coola Valley. In the 1950's, the provincial government refused to build this section of the road, so valley residents built it themselves. Outsiders said it couldn't be done, but on Sept 26, 1953, two bulldozers - one pushing east, the other pushing west - actually met.

The steep incline and hairpin turns afford a panorama view of the changing scenery of mountains and valleys. Commercial air service is available to the airport in Hagensborg, but charter airlines will fly to most areas.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/ex ... /bella.htm

Ride safe and I hope this helped

Bill Watt
IBA # 310

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great links powderhound. We have the maps out now and I have requested the travel info from BC and AB along with ordering DHWBC.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you've got 10 days, that's enought time to ride the Alcan.

Here's some photos taken on the Icefields Parkway in June of this year:

·
Registered
598 Posts
(Guess I need to visit this thread more often - like CBXMan, I'm coming in kinda late. :oops: )
Wingd, if you're going to be in the Banff-Lake Louise area, ride on a little farther west, just across the border into B.C. Before you get to the turn-off to Field there's a campground on the right hand side of the highway, and signs also pointing the way to Takakkaw Falls. Drop your trailer at the campground and ride the bike back into the falls. At one point you'll be glad for the reverse on your bike, as you will need to either back all the way up a switchback, or at least do a little back and forth to get headed the right way. But it is all worth the effort.

A little farther back, there's a good chance you'll have to stop - or at least slow down - to let the elk move out of the way, and then at the end of the trail you'll be treated to the sight of Canada's 2nd highest waterfall.

You can walk right up near the base of the waterfall, and I'm told that just before sunset is the best time for photos (just after sunrise may be just as good). I'd left Grande Prairie a little later than I should have, and stopped too many times for photos coming down the Icefields Pkwy, so got to Takakkaw just a little after sunset. Still, it was beautiful.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AKLDRIDER and CBXMAN
Thanks for the great pics and bumping this thread back up the line. The pictures are really great. We can hardly wait to head ou to that part of the country.

I am going to do the ALCAN on another trip, hopefully in the next year or two. CBXMAN, how do you like your R1200GS? I have an older 1100 that I plan to use on the Alaska trip.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
wingd said:
AKLDRIDER and CBXMAN
Thanks for the great pics and bumping this thread back up the line. The pictures are really great. We can hardly wait to head ou to that part of the country.

I am going to do the ALCAN on another trip, hopefully in the next year or two. CBXMAN, how do you like your R1200GS? I have an older 1100 that I plan to use on the Alaska trip.
Wingd,

I got the GS12 just for the Alaska trip. We traveled on some roads that you wouldn't want to put a Wing or any other street bike on. I put 21k on the GS and I enjoyed riding it more than any other bike I've ever owned. The ride height, engine sound & torque, and suspension all combine to make it a different type of ride.

The only problem I have with BMW's is their dealer network. I never had a very good felling when I went into a BMW dealer. I always felt like they should have had a slot in the door for you to stick your money into and then you could have went away without bothering them. I know there's some good dealers out there, but I didn't get chance to meet them. I sold the GS after returning from AK and I'll have a new Goldwing by the time spring rolls around. I may get another GS one day, but it will be an older model with carbs, regular brakes & a standard wiring harness. I wouldn't want to have a new GS that was out of warranty and have to take it to the dealer for repairs. $2000.00 for a brake rebuild would not be out of line. A brake servo alone can set you back $1500.00. Great bikes, but IMHO, the dealers need to come back down to earth.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts