GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks into new 2019 DCT and I’ve finally got over 1000 miles showing.

I haven’t had time to devote to a long ride, but I have gotten out for several hours at a time on several days.

IMO, the bike is light years ahead of my F6B DeLuxe.

It is much more “like a motorcycle” than recent earlier generation Wings.

It is not a sport bike. It is only sporty in comparison to typical V-Twins, and earlier Wings . It is not an ST1800, although that’s nothing to regret.

I like it. In fact, I really like it.

It is so much better than my 2018 65 mile test ride that I am flabbergasted... and I liked the test ride very well.

Great bike!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It just keeps getting better.....

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This new generation really was a true GL = Great Leap forward.

They may have abandoned some fraction of their loyal customer base with the changes, but maybe they’ll pick up more new guys, even old new guys like me.

When I picked my bike up at the dealer, there was a young guy (maybe 35) waiting on a tire change. He’d traded his Street Glide for the new Wing in February.

The one down side (he said) was that his girlfriend thought it wasn’t as cool as a Harley. I’d say he needs to trade the girlfriend in next.

·
Registered
460 Posts
"It is much more “like a motorcycle” than recent earlier generation Wings."

Seriously, you must be joking.

From my Kawasaki triple to my Triumph Rockets to my 15 wing. All were & are kick butt motorcycles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"It is much more “like a motorcycle” than recent earlier generation Wings."

Seriously, you must be joking.

From my Kawasaki triple to my Triumph Rockets to my 15 wing. All were & are kick butt motorcycles.
Nope. All of those, except your 15 Wing, were also real motorcycles.

The last 30 years of Wings were in their own category somewhere between the PC800 and the Honda Civic. The new one brings the Wing squarely back to the realm of real motorcycles.

Tomato ... Tomahto ...

Can you really ride an R3 (of which I’ve owned four) and then an old Goldwing, and not see that the R3 is a visceral bike while the 15 Wing is a car with only two wheels?

Incidentally, this is NOT a criticism of the 15 Wing. There are no motorcycles remotely like it. It is great at what it is. The 2018+ Wing is more motorcyclish.

In fact, the new Wing is the Rocket III Touring that I always wished that Triumph would build.

Reactions: Stlouis1 and laen
1 - 5 of 5 Posts