931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 GL1800A
24,600 miles
Maintained per book using Honda products
Semi-Synth HP4 10W40 (NO moly) oil/filter changed every 5,000 miles
Clutch fluid was flushed/changed/bled @ about 13,000 miles
Bike has run flawlessly except

For the last several hundred miles I have noticed some occassional slightly stiff shifting but attributed it to my larger winter riding boots hanging up and possible cooler weather

Yesterday, encountered noticably stiff shifting and found I could not shift into 5th. Even down shifting into 3rd took several tries. It was 27F but our garage was probably at least 50F so cooler temps should not have been a problem.

I recall reading sometime ago of someone else having this problem but I couldn't find the post doing a search.

I want to avoid taking to the dealer unless I have to. Any suggestions first?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If your level is ok another possible problem may be air in the system. on my 1500 I used to tie the clutch lever half way back to allow the bubbles to migrate to the top of the system and bleeding the system. Leave it overnight with the lever tied back.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
In my way of thinking if you had air in the system it would be hard shifting in any gear, not just one or two.

Have you got any bent shifter forks? How are the bearings and bushings in the transmission? The reason I asked this is because unless you dissasemble it you could not know. It might just be a good idea to take it to your local dealer and have it looked at. By the year of bike it is still under warranty and that is what the warranty is for.

I have used both dino oil and synthetic oil for long ranges in my 1800 and I would not think that one type of oil over the other one could cause this problem. JMHO.

Good luck in finding out what is wrong.

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
i hope it turns out to b something simple like the shift lever linkage is loose, or maybe something like a stick managed to get caught in the linkage
goodluck and b sure to let us know what happens

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Actually, even without using the clutch it should shift when in motion, and very smoothly at that if your throttle hand is nifty. Sounds like a bend shifter fork and should be a warranty issue.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,473 Posts
There was one post here last year that was a shifting problem. I told the guy where to look at the shift drum linkage and he found and fixed a loose spring on the shifting arm. All these things are inside the front engine cover to the left of the oil filter. If you remove it I suggest getting a service manual first and a new gasket for the cover for reassembly... Or you could take it to the dealer. :D

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Actually, even without using the clutch it should shift when in motion, and very smoothly at that if your throttle hand is nifty. Sounds like a bend shifter fork and should be a warranty issue.

prs
I agree. In a pinch you can shift most any Honda product up and down with no clutch. It's all in the rpm verses forward speed. Sorta like matching up the thru shaft rpm for a given gear like driving a Semi Tractor or any non syncro tranny.

Bradford

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have a heal toe shifter installed? I use to have a hard time shifting my 04 into second gear. Cause was a bent heal/toe shifter. Pry'd it back a little and it worked great ever since.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
24 Carat said:
[quote="Pigeon Roost":2yjlra6x]Actually, even without using the clutch it should shift when in motion, and very smoothly at that if your throttle hand is nifty. Sounds like a bend shifter fork and should be a warranty issue.

prs
I agree. In a pinch you can shift most any Honda product up and down with no clutch. It's all in the rpm verses forward speed. Sorta like matching up the thru shaft rpm for a given gear like driving a Semi Tractor or any non syncro tranny.

Bradford[/quote:2yjlra6x]

What they said. This sounds the most likely. Warranty issue. T.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I was / am having problems with OD shifting. I had to go to a THIRD dealer before I got one who would tear down the engine / trans to find the problem.

I was there on Friday - took the bike there the first part of October - to check on how they were doing. There was some delay waiting for a "special" tool from Honda (Honda should have their own Snap-On trucks LOL). ANYWAY, they found that I have a bent shift fork. They have contacted the DSM.

·
Registered
311 Posts
laen said:
Oh yeah. Yupper. Good time of the year for it too. "Git'er done".

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sounds like warranty to Me probably bent fork yeah for the Honda warranty

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Dan18960 said:
I was / am having problems with OD shifting. I had to go to a THIRD dealer before I got one who would tear down the engine / trans to find the problem.

I was there on Friday - took the bike there the first part of October - to check on how they were doing. There was some delay waiting for a "special" tool from Honda (Honda should have their own Snap-On trucks LOL). ANYWAY, they found that I have a bent shift fork. They have contacted the DSM.
How about a name of the helpfull dealer?!?!?!?!...chuck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Indianabob said:
'05 GL1800A
24,600 miles
Maintained per book using Honda products
Semi-Synth HP4 10W40 (NO moly) oil/filter changed every 5,000 miles
Clutch fluid was flushed/changed/bled @ about 13,000 miles
Bike has run flawlessly except

For the last several hundred miles I have noticed some occassional slightly stiff shifting but attributed it to my larger winter riding boots hanging up and possible cooler weather
... flush and try amsoil 10w40 with an oem filter.

Last time I researched HP4, it was determined to be a very average cycle oil.

Pls let me/us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Whew! A lot of replies. Too many for me to read though, right now.

Although it might be internal to the transmission. Check out the linkage. You might have some crap, I mean gunk, around the linkage. that would cause a stiff shifting.

The usual quick response is a liberal spraying of WD-40 around the shifter shaft. That's usually where the gunk builds up. If that quick fix doesn't work, you have something more serious. Hopefully, not too serious.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I occasionally have this problem also. I thought it might be the occasional lazy shift however my 1500 never did this. I wonder how many bikes are out there with bent forks??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts