GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to my local Honda dealer and asked them to mount tires (Avon Cobras I purchased from Wingstuff) on my Wing. They asked where I got the tires, and I told them. I was then told that they will not mount "internet" tires because the dealer has problems getting them balanced correctly.

This sounds like the biggest BS reason I've heard for refusing to mount tires not puchased at the dealer.

Anyone hear this excuse before? Have you heard any other good excuses?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Go somewhere else, your dealer's an idiot.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had a local Honda dealership (which is now out of business :shrug:) tell me the same thing. I now take my wheel off and take it to a local Yamaha dealership for tire mounting and they are doing a booming business.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just one of the reasons I mount and balance my own tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 77k on my 05 Wing, every set put on the bike was purchased on-line. Never any problems. Jerking you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Had a local dealer tell me they did not have the tools to balance the rear wheel. Then the parts department wanted $17.95 for an oil filter. I walked away and never looked back. Many others must have done that also, as they are now out of business.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I just went to my local Honda dealer and asked them to mount tires (Avon Cobras I purchased from Wingstuff) on my Wing. They asked where I got the tires, and I told them. I was then told that they will not mount "internet" tires because the dealer has problems getting them balanced correctly.

This sounds like the biggest BS reason I've heard for refusing to mount tires not puchased at the dealer.

I would of said "Thank you" in advance for letting me know you got no clue about what you are talking about.
You more than likely saved me from getting pissed off at you in the future because you more than likely would of screwed up something on my bike after I brought it here thinking you people actually knew how to work on my Goldwing.

Have a nice day.:eek:4:

Way to many shops out there that will take your cash for a simple tire change without all the BS to get you to only buy your tires from them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ask him if the parts dept. makes uses the "internet" to order when then need to restock? Or it might be internet discrimination - maybe they got a thing against Al Gore.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
They told you that BECAUSE they didn't get to make money from selling you the tires. In our shop IF you do not give us a chance to PRICE MATCH which we have always been able to do and at least you gave us a chance we will balance them as usual. If you do NOT give us a chance to price match we charge $5 EXTRA for mount/balance. All we want is the CHANCE. Just the nature of the beast....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

At the very least I would talk to the owner, the dealer may not know what his back shop is doing to his business, if he does, there are plenty of shops that will mount your tires, and they don’t mind making money off of you...

·
Registered
989 Posts
PLENTY of independent shops around that do BETTER work. Most of them
worked at a dealer of some sort in their beginning years and got fed up
making no money and putting up with stupid owners. AND usually their prices are better. My guy charges $15 to change and balance my tires. He doesn't
give a s*%^ where the tire came from.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just like one of my local dealers here. They want you to buy the tires from them. This one wanted to charge me $550 (not including tax) for tires. But, of course, they were having a promotion and installation was free (new valve stems not included). I left a trail of smoke running out of there and have been doing my own tires ever since.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't mind paying extra to mount tires if I didn't buy them at the shop, but I thought refusing to mount them at all was a bit much, and the excuse was just stupid.

We have two Honda shops locally, and the 2nd one readily agreed to mount my tires.

Thanks for all the input !!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
:shrug: My local Honda dealer does not even have the capability to balance tires on goldwings. They said their machine needs a "special" adapter to work with goldwing rims. I have since called back(twice over the last 6 months) and they have still yet to order this "special adapter", and I have yet to spend one dime in their dealership.

I use a local hd shop to have my tires mounted. They always line up the little yellow dot on my tire with the valve stem and I must say, that I have never had an out of balance problem yet??

just my 2cents

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HVACGUY - off topic, but I recently spent a week in Myrtle Beach - had a great time.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My local shops will but want $20/wheel. I mount and balance my own too.

$40 is a lot of gas for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
there are some very nice tire deals at some dealers where u just ride in and they do everything but unfortunately none near me so i do my own and a few others :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts