GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the grief we gave the winger about mounting a car seat on a bike. I'm on U tube skimming through pictures from the tail of the dragon. Woe back up a couple of frames. There it was. A mom on her Harley with Her son behind Her in a car seat with a helmet, sucking on a lollipop. Guess he wasn't the first to think about it or try it. On the dragon no less.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Just imagine the vision of laying down the bike, having it high side, and watching as your helpless, strapped in child is crushed to death by the tumbling motorcycle.

I'm not even going to follow this thread like the last one. It was dumb enough the first time around.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just imagine the vision of laying down the bike, having it high side, and watching as your helpless, strapped in child is crushed to death by the tumbling motorcycle.

I'm not even going to follow this thread like the last one. It was dumb enough the first time around.

Same thing I was saying on the last thread

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm not going to address the sanity of taking a kid that young on a bike.

However, after watching my dumbassed brother pile his kid on he tank and his Sasquatch Other on the back of a AMF sportster, I gotta say, people are going to do it.

Now, in a panic stop, my niece would at best be an airbag. At worst road Pizza. She had nothing to hold onto, and my brother wasn't going to be able to help her on that overloaded POS.

So, since idiots are breeding faster than anybody else, I suppose it is debatable as to whether or not we should try to keep the kids on the bike, but in he end, I feel a kid deserves a chance to prove they might turn out better than their parents.

A seat designed to hold them offers at least some hope that they will survive stop and go traffic. An actual wreck poses problems that cannot be addressed or avoided.

S

·
0 Posts
I remember the days way back when.

It was Sunday and like most families we would go for a Sunday country ride. We didn't much like it as the windows were high and hard to see out of. Dad was happily puffing on a cigarette and we were forced to gag on used smoke. And just when we began to enjoy ourselves a backhand would come out of the front drivers seat and the party was over.

Things are different now, car seats, no smoking, high fuel costs. The good old days, were are they now?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
What I want to know is "Why do you guys think a child will be harmed more than your spouse if in an accident?."

What if your spouse freaks out and hangs on for dear life to the grab handles?.

Yeah I get the strapped in child vs a person sitting on the seat who can let go thing.

But both will get banged up in the event of a get off.

Are you saying the parent is making the choice for the child,and tuff luck if your spouse gets torn up because she made the choice to get on with you??.:shrug:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Are you saying the parent is making the choice for the child,and tuff luck if your spouse gets torn up because she made the choice to get on with you??.:shrug:
No... I think they're saying "tuff luck" if the spouse gets torn up because they made the CHOICE to HANG ON. In other words... they have a choice. A child buckled & strapped into a seat doesn't.

As to the core issue itself, I personally have no opinion... as the same thing could be said about an accident in a car or truck. A child buckled & strapped into a car seat inside a wrecked & burning car or truck would face the same issue... yet we adults in society don't seem to have a problem with that.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the same thing could be said about an accident in a car or truck. A child buckled & strapped into a car seat inside a wrecked & burning car or truck would face the same issue... yet we adults in society don't seem to have a problem with that.
You have a point...

How many times have people told you how dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle and they sound like liberals bashing Bush?

They either don't know why they might be dangerous, or they think that a Semi will run you over. When you ask them if they have ever seen a car that was run over by a semi, they get even more vague.

How about this people, if you don't want to, you do not have to.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I would not let anyone on my bike until they are old enough for their feet to reach the foot rest.
Having said that, if everyone would take another look at the seat pictured in this thread, there does not seem to be any straps to trap the child in that seat:shrug:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Best I can tell the kid is not strapped into the seat but the seat is strapped to the bike.

Amazed nobody is bitch'in about the kid's helmet is too big or the shoes are not over the ankle. Sheesh man, yous guys are getting lazy man.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yep,bad idea.
That kid is gonna scratch the paint back there.
They should come up with some chrome scratch guards:eek:4:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
In case anyone's interested... here's the translation of the description from the Givi website:

(from Google Translator)
Child seat

Adaptable to most scooters in use, the S650 is the result of a study aimed at finding solutions to increase the safety of children "on board". The S650 provides for children from 5 to 8 years about the proper structure in the saddle prevents the small passenger from sliding sideways and comes with two "footstool" adjustable. The S650 is secured to the seat using adjustable brackets universal. There are no belts to keep the child tied to the seat as it was deemed dangerous if dropped. The presence of an adult on the front seat is not enough to prevent any forward movement.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Best I can tell the kid is not strapped into the seat but the seat is strapped to the bike.

Amazed nobody is bitch'in about the kid's helmet is too big or the shoes are not over the ankle. Sheesh man, yous guys are getting lazy man.

Us lazy? Dude! You forgot to mention no gloves or eye protection. Slacker.. :lol:

What amazes me is all the grief generated by the fellow bikers on this board about riding kids on bikes. When I used to ride with my grandson sitting in front of me on the tank the general public would all wave and smile, we would get comments like "How cute". Never once did we get slammed for it. Got stopped by a LEO just once. He was just curious. Go figger. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It might be valuable in forming an opinion on this if we knew some facts.

For example: What is the death rate per mile for adults on m/c and car?
What is the death rate per mile for child passengers on m/c and car?

If we knew these answers we could then decide if it is worth the risk to give children rides on bikes.

Anecdotal information is fun, but not very useful for making decisions.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts