GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the owners manual for the air filter location, it says to take it to the dealer. I thought that was strange. Checked online for air filter location and found a you tube video of how to change the air filter. I could not believe what I was seeing. Honda must have found an old automotive filter and built a motorcycle around it. Please tell me that the oringinal filter will last about 200,000 miles. Bike will probably have rattles everywhere after taking all that plastic off. :22yikes:

:wrong:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yea..........bad thing about it...........it hasn't changed!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It isn't a fast job, but it ain't that bad and no it doesn't rattle when you put it back together!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Checked the owners manual for the air filter location, it says to take it to the dealer. I thought that was strange. Checked online for air filter location and found a you tube video of how to change the air filter. I could not believe what I was seeing. Honda must have found an old automotive filter and built a motorcycle around it. Please tell me that the oringinal filter will last about 200,000 miles. Bike will probably have rattles everywhere after taking all that plastic off. :22yikes:

:wrong:
The engine is about the same size as some cars!!!

I do agree the Honda Engineers could have used good judgement and properly relocated the air filter or relocated the electronics so that an access panel could be removed to easy replacement. There are a few other design flaws that have been discussed on this forum and its about time they resolve them.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It doesn't look like it, but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. It takes a couple of hours taking your time and doing a little cleaning and looking along the way, but it isn't the wooly beast that it looks like on film. Spend a little bit on Fred Harmons video set and an owners manual. You will recoup the cost on them very quickly. One air filter change ought to do it. LOL
It is like a lot of things on the wing, get past your fear and the plastic and things are not bad.
My Venture took a good hour and 15-30 minutes to change the filters properly and you could put your hands on them. If you were carefull and a little lucky they could be changed without removing the cowling and save some time, but the chance of breaking plastic was there. So, the wing really isn't all that bad, just a little time consuming.

Oh yea, the filters will last 20-30 thousand mils. I am sure plenty have gone longer, but that seems to be the sensus for normal riding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My last air filter change I was pulling it out 30 minutes in and tightening the last seat bolt an hour after that. No big deal. JUST DO IT:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I love the guys above who think it's no big deal to spend an hour and a half to two hours just to change the filter. In the old days of real service stations, the gas station attendants would check air filters while they were filling up the car with gas.

The issue isn't even just how long it takes. The issue is that nobody is going to pull it just to take a peek and see how it looks after 5 or 10 thousand miles. BTW, I had an FJR recently that was very easy to get to it. At 43,000 miles it looked practically brand new - and I'm not exaggerating.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Momma Honda wanted you to go waaa! waaa! waaa! so you would take to the dealer for replacement. They know the wimps will pay. It's called easy money.
I wouldn't call it easy money...."okay sir, the filter is $20 and the labor is $180".

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It doesn't look like it, but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. It takes a couple of hours taking your time and doing a little cleaning and looking along the way, but it isn't the wooly beast that it looks like on film. Spend a little bit on Fred Harmons video set and an owners manual. You will recoup the cost on them very quickly. One air filter change ought to do it. LOL
It is like a lot of things on the wing, get past your fear and the plastic and things are not bad.
My Venture took a good hour and 15-30 minutes to change the filters properly and you could put your hands on them. If you were carefull and a little lucky they could be changed without removing the cowling and save some time, but the chance of breaking plastic was there. So, the wing really isn't all that bad, just a little time consuming.

Oh yea, the filters will last 20-30 thousand mils. I am sure plenty have gone longer, but that seems to be the sensus for normal riding.

I'm calling BS on this!! If I can change front and rear brakes in less time to change a freakin filter...that's POOR engineering that keeps repeating itself!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I more or less change mine per Honda's recommended service interval, within a few thousand miles or "when I'm under the top shelter."

Maybe because I live in heavily wooded dunes, the filter usually needs to be changed, or reasonably close to it. I cannot imagine going 25,000+ miles or more, even though a fair number of folks seem to do so with no problems.

It does get easier and quicker with every change.

Additionally, gives me a chance to clean things up a bit under the shelter. Too, it helps me to become one with the Wing in a Zen sort of way...

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
I am slow-I use FREDS DVD and take my time. It takes me an 1 1/2 hours to disasemble and about 30 minutes to assemble. I do take my time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always done my own maintanence on my vehicles and I was just dumb founded by how much work this guy had to do just to get to it. I like to keep an eye on filters and stuff, but I want be keeping an eye on this one. I'll take on the job one day. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It's not poor engineering, it planned engineering. They do not want you to change the filter, they want to do it and it's not going to be cheap. They do this crap on purpose to make money.

ok.......it's poorly planned engineering. see, i can compromise! :thumbup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Honda dealer inc..

It's not poor engineering, it planned engineering. They do not want you to change the filter, they want to do it and it's not going to be cheap. They do this crap on purpose to make money.
Honda doesnt own too many dealers so I dont see where they are making much money off a filter change? Maybe I am wrong, but wouldnt it be the actual dealership that is pocketing the dough? I promise you the dealer nearest me didnt engineer any part of this bike!

·
Registered
135 Posts
filter

I just replaced my BMW lt with a Goldwing hoping to get away from that. It was a 3 hour job on the beemer. So I guess I did improve:shrug:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts