GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
# 2 mechanic here. I have just over 17,000 miles on my'18 DCT. I don't think my problem is a big one. But....the bike is relatively 'new' and I'm wondering. The bike, up until tonight, would downshift when I hit the downshift button/paddle on the left handlebar. I almost never use it but I tried tonight and...................nothing. PLEASE don't tell me the obvious which might be take it to the dealer, it's still under warranty, etc. I know that.

Have any of you experienced this or know of anyone that has ?? Other than this, the bike performed 'normally.' The only thing that has been done to the bike recently was I had two new tires put on. That was about 2,000 miles ago. I don't even remember if I tried to downshift in all that time.................until tonight.

Here's a thought. And remember, I know very little. ( # 2 mechanic ) Is it at all possible that while getting the tires put on, the bike was rolled backwards in gear ?? NOT looking to place blame of them. Just wondering if this is a possibility. One of the mechanics there didn't know how to put it in gear. Of course, I showed him. Wondering if the bike was rolled backwards down his hill from the garage. ( about 50 feet ?? ) Could that damage the tranny ?? It's just the way they do it there. It's the way the property is set up.

Sooo.................. any thoughts/ideas on why I've lost the ability to downshift via that paddle ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I assume that if you're riding it it must be downshifting in automatic mode. I know it won't downshift if you're going too fast for the lower gear. Have you done a reset on the dct. I don't have any more

Richard

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that if you're riding it it must be downshifting in automatic mode. I know it won't downshift if you're going too fast for the lower gear. Have you done a reset on the dct. I don't have any more

Richard
Nah, not going too fast for it not to downshift. Not even close. And yes, it shifts up and down normally in automatic mode. All 4 of them. A reset ?? How ? what is that ? Or is it in the owner's manual somewhere ?

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leave it to a real expert. Fred !!! Who else !!!!! You did it again, Fred !!!!! You solved the problem..................although not in the way you may think. I plead mea culpa. Actually, mea stupida. I was trying to downshift ......using the wrong button !!! Putting it in reverse as you suggested immediately drove my mistake home. Isn't that ridiculous ???? I was trying to downshift with the 'forward' button of the walking mode. I'm an idiot !!!!

Took it for a very short ride and all is well.

Who knows ?? Maybe me posting my "shortcoming" will help someone else in the future.

Thanks again, Fred !!!

·
Vendor
21,578 Posts
I can understand the confusion, because some auto makers (GM) put the downshift paddle on the rear side of the steering wheel, and the upshift button on the front. There is no standard, and every manufacture just does it however they want. So when you go from one vehicle to another, it can make it a challenge.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey, that is the same problem that causes a very loud noise when dealing with the turn signals..... Except the horn and turn signal buttons were a long standing "standard" that has now been ignored...... All bikes I have ever had from early 70's model to 2010 with turn signal switch and horn button being in the exact same spot except form the 2018+ that switched locations of those often or critical controls......

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The Start and Horn buttons on jet skis, ATVs, and motorcycles are all over the place. I probably still honk the horn at least one out of 100 starts,...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts