GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would really appreciate any comments from personal experience.

My 2010 GL1800 seat is killing me. So much so that I could only stand to ride about 100 miles this last summer, so my bike just sat in the garage collecting dust.

My problem is that I get pushed forward into the tank. Also my legs are bent back when on the pegs, with knees forward. This causes a cramping in my hip, and my legs feel like crap. When I look at how I sit, my legs look like this foward arrow >

I am 6'2 with 34" inseam and weigh 185. I love my first Honda Goldwing but it hurts to ride it ! I rode my friends new Harley Road King and it felt amazing. I sat down in the seat, not into the tank, my legs were ninety degress with my feet flat on the floor boards. I could have ridden that all day long!

I bought Kury floorboards and highway switch pegs and added them, but that did not help either. I believe after riding that Harley, and it feeling so good, my Honda seat is my issue.

With soooo many choices and opinions, I was just wondering if anybody else that has experienced what I am dealing with, ever solved this uncomfortable situation.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Except for the weight, you and I are the same size and I had the same problems. I got them all solved by spending a bunch of money and can ride all day without pain. Take the "Getting Comfortable" link in my signature to explore some options. In my opinion, you'll want to make decisions in this order:

1. Decide what you will do with your seating position.
  2. Get handlebar risers. MBL or Kuryakyn make good sets. REG risers no longer are made although a board member is considering the possibility.
  3. ****-O-Pegs, unless you go with a Corbin Tall seat in which case you may not need them.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd suggest one of the custom seat offerings such as 'Russell Day-Long', 'Diamond', 'Hartco' or 'Ultimate Seats. Handle bar risers as previously suggested. Also, Roadsmith's 'Comfort Controls' which I have along with the Hartco Pro-Tour seat and the risers. (Link below)

http://trikeshop.com/news/4192012/

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Tall guys will often need a "tall" seat that sets them back and up a couple of inches. This solves the "crowding" problem, but often creates a long reach to the bars. Phase two is bar "risers" that pull the bars back, more than they lift them up. It will cost you a bit, but may make all the difference in the world. Way cheaper than buying a new Victory Cross Country.
:22yikes:

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
First congrads on being able to keep your weight perfect :22yikes::22yikes:
You just need to move your seat drivers backrest back 2" and some have even moved seat higher also. You can do this with your stock seat for around 200 bucks or less. The best thing may be to go to a show and see different seat builders like corbin, ultima, ect and see whats best for you. I have a corbin and the people at corbin are really clued in on common issues in this area. with the 6-2 I would think about 2"back+? and rising seat if that suits you. My corbin puts me back and shifts riding position back to a big v twin sitting. Once this has happened to me I changed my forward pegs on my pegs to 4.5" from 6" for even more of a stretch and a big improvement. As DDKING said handle bar risers are a must. And for that HD thing you can get the wind in your face if you are not moving:evil:
good luck you have a great bike there

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I had a local upholstery shop modify my seat.
Raised me 1" moved me back 1 1/2", and cut down the side bolsters which were awkward when I tried to swing my legs down at a stop.
Took a couple of try's to get the foam density right, but it was inexpensive, compared to an aftermarket seat.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

My 2010 GL1800 seat is killing me. So much so that I could only stand to ride about 100 miles this last summer, so my bike just sat in the garage collecting dust.

My problem is that I get pushed forward into the tank. Also my legs are bent back when on the pegs, with knees forward. This causes a cramping in my hip, and my legs feel like crap. When I look at how I sit, my legs look like this foward arrow >

I am 6'2 with 34" inseam and weigh 185. I love my first Honda Goldwing but it hurts to ride it ! I rode my friends new Harley Road King and it felt amazing. I sat down in the seat, not into the tank, my legs were ninety degress with my feet flat on the floor boards. I could have ridden that all day long!

I bought Kury floorboards and highway switch pegs and added them, but that did not help either. I believe after riding that Harley, and it feeling so good, my Honda seat is my issue.

With soooo many choices and opinions, I was just wondering if anybody else that has experienced what I am dealing with, ever solved this uncomfortable situation.
I had similar problems, maybe a little more severe when I first purchased my '05 Wing, I'm 6'5" 34" inseam just a little North 300lbs at the moment. First I read Dan's (DDKING) "Getting Comfortable" write up, (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?109854-Getting-Comfortable). Then did a little trial and error on my own.

My set of fixes consist of a Russel Day Long seat, ****-O-Pegs model K/A-HS and a set of Reg Risers to get my arm/hand position back in alignment. I also went with Kury ISO Mini-Wing footpegs (mounted backwards, providing more foot support and moved my foot a little bit further foreward) along with peg relocators that moved the pegs forward about 1" for a little more relief in the knee bending area. I have a very comfortable setup that has been good for multiple 1,000 mile days...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I bought a nice used Ultimate King seat, I needed my knees unbent some, and some room away from the fairing etc.

Ultimate site shows the king being almost perfect for you. Should move you back almost 2", up an inch and provide a great seat contour. not cheap, but when I got mine, I knew it was what I wanted immediately.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Except for the weight, you and I are the same size and I had the same problems. I got them all solved by spending a bunch of money and can ride all day without pain. Take the "Getting Comfortable" link in my signature to explore some options. In my opinion, you'll want to make decisions in this order:

1. Decide what you will do with your seating position.
  2. Get handlebar risers. MBL or Kuryakyn make good sets. REG risers no longer are made although a board member is considering the possibility.
  3. ****-O-Pegs, unless you go with a Corbin Tall seat in which case you may not need them.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.
:thumbup:

Similar size, and similar problems.
Before I burned through a tank of gas my buns were burning. Halfway through the second tank, my knees were aching and it took 5-10 minutes of careful walking to get the knees to work.

The solution for me was less expensive: just ****-O-Pegs!
Fixed the burning butt and the knees, too.

I can ride all day and night and the only thing that complains are my eyelids!
Seriously, I've done SS1k rides and a BB (1.5k in 36 hours) with NO discomfort.

I Love My MOPs!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Unfortunately, there is not a single answer. All our butz are not the same! I am about the same as you in height, inseam and weight. For me the OEM saddle was pushing my buttt forward and she cushon was far too soft.
I have had great luck with the Hartco Pro-Tour on another bike and for the GL1800 they custom made me the saddle I have now. Expensive??? Yep!! Buttt I can ride all day on weeks long trips and have no discomfort. For me and the long riding I love to do... worth every penney.
It all just depends on what you need and what best fitz our butz. I can only say what really works for me.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
+1 on the Hartco Pro Tour. Lots of good seats out there, so shop around. Have it built to move you back a couple inches and risers, I think REGS is the best flavor for them.

As for the seating on the Harley, it ain't going to happen on the wing. Your feet will be under you in the "Standard" bike seating style. Lose the floorboards too. They may be OK for shorter legs, but can become uncomfortable for longer legged riders.

Good luck, I never really got cozy with my Wing and gave it up after 5 years and a lot of money. We got on a first name basis, but that was about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,896 Posts

I am 6'2 with 34" inseam and weigh 185.
I love my first Honda Goldwing but it hurts to ride it ! I rode my friends new Harley Road King and it felt amazing. I sat down in the seat, not into the tank, my legs were ninety degress with my feet flat on the floor boards. I could have ridden that all day long!

Jerbear, I'm 6'4" 185 lbs, and I could have started the same thread at the beginning of last summer. Things are much better for me now though. I made some incrememtal changes, in the following order.

1) Bought (2) Walmart "waffle" seat pads and double stacked them together in one cover. This was an inexpensive first step, and it helped me quite a bit with comfort. For some this is all they need, but I was still was not completely comfortable.

2) Added ****-O-Pegs (model KD was my prefference. Thanks to DDKing for guidance) to allow me to stretch out my legs and take a little of the pressure off of my butt. These pegs are great, but the comfort relief only comes when you have your feet on them, which is not all of the time.

3) Switched to a nearly new Russel Day Long seat, which I was lucky enough to buy used from a fellow board member, at a very good price. This moved me back approx 2" in the saddle and made all the difference in the world for me. Lots of knee room now. My legs are still slightly bent backward when on the OEM pegs, but way a more comfortable position than before. The butt burn went away completely, and I got rid of the Walmart waffle pads. Riding long distances in comfort is no longer an issue for me, at least not on the bottom end.

4) The last step for me will be to add risers to bring the handle bars back an inch or so and slightly up. Now that I am sitting back further, I'm reaching more than I would like for the bars. I'll install the risers this winter.

Hope this helps you. Don't get discouraged. Tweaking your bike to your personal prefference and body type is a process, but you can/will get there! Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Rode 1174 miles in 3 days from deep valley up to hill country and back. Ave speed was 75+ I have been to chiropractor, bio freeze, and lots of Advil and I still can barely walk a week later.

I will not go more than an hour with out getting off for short leg stretches again. I removed the backrest that was pushing me even further forward Between the twisties and the long flat runs I really hurt.

I will get back on wing this weekend if I can walk without pain.... I have gel pad but the CRAMPED leg position will have to have something done/.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts