GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, any help appreciated --

Have an 06, comfort/audio. Had dealer install a powerlet receptacle in the left pocket, on the diagonal flat spot the 06's have at the top right corner. Went to remove the pocket so I can get to the wiring for a project, but can't get it out cuz it seems the power plug hardware is blocking removal and I cannot see how to un-hinder it from this side. In fact, I can't figure out how the tech managed to get the pocket in with that powerlet installed. Must be a trick to it short of shelter removal. Any ideas?

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Don't know what to tell you. You remove the fairing strip then the plastic rivets. It should just lift up from the back side. I have the comfort pkg and the outlet. No problem!

If that doesn't work, dynamite might be your next tool to use. LOL...

Good Luck....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, tried that Red. Trim strip, rivets all out. Just won't pull up. I can feel it's obstructed somehow on the back side of the plug. I'll try it again. For interest's sake though, how high on the diagonal is your power plug mounted? Maybe mine's just a skosh too high to get the clearance I need.

Red said:
Don't know what to tell you. You remove the fairing strip then the plastic rivets. It should just lift up from the back side. I have the comfort pkg and the outlet. No problem!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just installed this power plug on my bike a couple of weeks ago. Try pulling up on the lower left coner first. If it still does not come out. The pulg has a finger on each side of it. Try reaching in from under the front and releasing them. Then pull the plug into the pocket and remove the wiring.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I installed my power plug on my '06 airbag and the previous poster is on the right track. Left bottom corner first should do it. There is a harness and the lower heater vent cable at the rear for the plug to hang up on. I had to "worm" mine back in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Red said:

Good Luck....
I personally was thinking of telling you to get a bigger hammer. :D I hope that you get the pocket out. Let us know what the hold up was.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just installed the accessory plug yesterday. I drilled the hole in the location with the little dot and I had a little trouble getting the pocket back in. Should have drilled the hole a little lower. Hopefully I don't have to get in the again, but I think pulling up on the lower left corner should do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gents, I'll have at it again and report back....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Redd, have to pull mine up on the bottom edge and add a little gentle persuasion to get mine out. And put the top back in first to get it back in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the help of one of the guys at Wingstuff, got this figured out. Seems I was just too weenie about about gettin' jiggy with it. Came right out with a little persuasion lifting up on the bottom edge. Thought I'd tried it all, guess not.

Funny though, the wiring underneath (06) doesn't look anything like the pix I've seen of other folks' bikes. Hope there's no problem hooking stuff up in there, like cell sets, etc.

Thanks guys, responses were a big help!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Reddwing said:
With the help of one of the guys at Wingstuff, got this figured out. Seems I was just too weenie about about gettin' jiggy with it. Came right out with a little persuasion lifting up on the bottom edge. Thought I'd tried it all, guess not.

Funny though, the wiring underneath (06) doesn't look anything like the pix I've seen of other folks' bikes. Hope there's no problem hooking stuff up in there, like cell sets, etc.

Thanks guys, responses were a big help!
Can you let me know how it went hooking up your cellset?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts