GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my rear tail light went out on the trunk. Tried to take the cover off inside the trunk to change the bulb but the nut cap just kept turning, never loosened and never came off. Has anybody else had this same problem --- how did you get the cover off?

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Common problem caused by over zealous torquing of the mounting nuts onto the studs. Most likely the nut has "welded" itself to the stud and the stud then stripped out the mounting boss in the housing.
Remove the nuts that will unscrew.
Then have a helper pull rearward on the lamp as you try to unscrew the nut. Maybe the stud will back out of the housing allowing lamo removal.
There is no cover on the inside. Removal of the nuts allows the lamp to be removed to change bulbs.
Make sure you get all of 'em. There's one in the outboard corner of the trunk that's deep in a pocket and hard to get to!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Noticed my rear tail light went out on the trunk. Tried to take the cover off inside the trunk to change the bulb but the nut cap just kept turning, never loosened and never came off. Has anybody else had this same problem --- how did you get the cover off?
As stated above, there is no cover. The 3 nuts hold in the complete housing. I had the same problem as you with the deep nut. It would turn but not loosen. I found no other way to remove it but break the housing so that I could get to the bolt to hold it and then buy a new housing. What had happened was the rear of the bolt in the red plastic had broken loose and nothing was holding it so the nut could turn. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.:shrug:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Exactly why I suggested having someone pull on the lamp as you turn the nut. It may unthread the stud from the housing. Then you can hold the stud w/vise grips to get the nut off.
Epoxy the stud back into the housing and then you can remount the lamp
If more than one nut spins per lamp-Do each a little at a time as the lamp is pulled on.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Exactly why I suggested having someone pull on the lamp as you turn the nut. It may unthread the stud from the housing. Then you can hold the stud w/vise grips to get the nut off.
Epoxy the stud back into the housing and then you can remount the lamp
If more than one nut spins per lamp-Do each a little at a time as the lamp is pulled on.
Use a cordless driver with pressure out on the lamp assembly. The driver will "melt" the stud free. Remove the nut from the stud and glue the stud back in the lamp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have the extended warranty....I have have some other lighting problems iwth the radio and NAVI etc...I think I will let them fix it....Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I do have the extended warranty....I have have some other lighting problems iwth the radio and NAVI etc...I think I will let them fix it....Thanks for the help.
Make sure you ask them not to be prying on the exterior appearance surfaces of your bike:eek:4:that surround the lamp in question.
Also, ask them to check all the other lamps for this condition. You will need to replace more bulbs and it will be after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Warranty repair is best but absent that option; I've done the melt/heat aspect on a number of frozen studs. It seems the "too-tight" aspect is a combination of length of stud and acorn nut threads. The stud galls up in the top end of the threads making it doubly hard to remove the nut. Also the stud is manufactured with a round pan on the bottom for inset into the mold during manufacturing. If that same pan was rectangular in shape you would have corners to hold in the plastic.

When I repair a stud, I heat the plastic by turning the acorn nut with my electric drill with a 1/4" extension chucked up. When out I use JB (slow dry) for the repair and use some wax paper on the repair area and put back in with the remaining studs. This way the the extra JB will conform to the shape of the space between the lense back and trunk surface and no further smoothing is needed. Plus drying in this position helps to maintain a weather tight seal when snugged up. I also put some notches in the round pan on the stud so it helps to stay in place for future removal.

A miniature flat, aluminum or copper washer on each stud helps to keep the end of the stud from bottoming out in the acorn nut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!! Put a screwstick with a towel over it to pry just a teeeny tiny bit.......not a good combination, broke a little piece off the lense. Now I am P.O.'d. Calling Honda tomorrow for extended warranty authorizaation. This is just a pain in the [email protected]@. Guess I should have read through all the threads first. What do they say...HIND SIGHT IS A BIG BUTT or something like that. :wrong:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
There is no need to remove the light assembly to change a bulb. Remove the snap in cover from the inside of the trunk covering the bulb area and you can reach inside and remove the bulb socket by twisting it. and then change out the bulb. It's tight but I have changed two of them this wasy after I had the same problem you have identified.

Fred

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Fred, can you explain or show us just where this elusive snap cover is located? I failed to find it back when I had one of those too tight acon nuts, thankfully, instead of breaking the stud by aplying brute force I applied PB Blaster and let it soak several days, then removed the nut with ease. I'll go back and look again, but i remember not having seen any snap in access panel.

prs

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Fred, can you explain or show us just where this elusive snap cover is located? I failed to find it back when I had one of those too tight acon nuts, thankfully, instead of breaking the stud by aplying brute force I applied PB Blaster and let it soak several days, then removed the nut with ease. I'll go back and look again, but i remember not having seen any snap in access panel.

prs

They are under the trunk light from the inside of the trunk.

I haven't changed bulbs this way,But I know how these wiring funnels work and can see a PITA to drop them down enough (with wiring going through them mind you) to get at the bulb holders without dropping the trunks lower panel and trim pieces.

Naww I'll get frozen studs off first.:thumbup:

This picture shows where they are in the trunk.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There is no need to remove the light assembly to change a bulb. Remove the snap in cover from the inside of the trunk covering the bulb area and you can reach inside and remove the bulb socket by twisting it. and then change out the bulb. It's tight but I have changed two of them this wasy after I had the same problem you have identified.

Fred

That's how I did mine. Took a little work to get it clicked back in there, but got it done... both sides even!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Thanks Rocky. That could be tricky for a fellow with big mitts.

prs

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The panels come off easily on my 07. It was a pain doing it that way as I have big hands. If your wife or Girlfriend, or daughter is available should be a piece of cake as they hopefully have smaller hands. You just reach in and twist the bulb holder and off it comes. Pull out the bulb, insert a new one. Once you get the nack not to bad a job. Beats the heck out of dealing with spinning nuts on both sides.

The second time on the other side was easier, not anymore difficult than changing a dim headlight bulb. Practice makes perfect. LOL. Only had to remove one panel from the inside of the trunk very easy to do. don't know if 07 is different than previous models.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts