GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the loweringproducts.com 1 inch lowering bracket and switched out the center stand with the power park one. Put the bike on the power park center stand like you would with the oem center stand. Now I can't get the bike off the power park. Tried sitting on the bke and bumping it but won't come off. Tried starting the bike and driving off...the wheel just spins.:22yikes:

Any ideas?:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hire a fat lady to sit on it and then push. :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
How many miles on your rear tire? I have a ride off center stand, and when my rear tire wears down, it has a hard tome getting off the stand.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Just a thought, since I don't have any experience with the product you're dealing with.

"The following is for entertainment purposes only. Do no attempt at home."
(It might work, and I'd try it if I were in a similar situation. But I'm not very bright.)

Get someone to help you, to steady the bike, keep an eye on it in case it seems unstable, or call the paramedics.

When the bike is on the center stand I can usually lift the front wheel a couple inches. I'd slide a 2x6 (about 6' long) under the front wheel, approaching it from the front of the bike. This should tip the weight of the bike back onto the rear tire.
Now I'd slide something under the front end of the 2x6. This will raise the front wheel a little more (leverage), putting more weight on the rear tire.

This should put enough of the bike's weight on the rear wheel that when I sit on the bike I might be able to drive it off the center stand.
I have long legs so, when the bike drives off the stand and the front tire is on the 2x6, I can steady the bike and roll it backwards off the 2x6. Others might not be as fortunate and might try something silly like tipping it over onto the side stand -- which wouldn't work!

As I said above, this is what I'd do. I don't recommend that you try it.
"Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. For professional use only." Blah, blah.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ok behave...

The serious answer is put the rear suspension at 25, get on the bike and rock it back and fourth and gently use the clutch. It should jump down . If you have long legs you can just rock it forward and back and it will come off .

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a fish ride-off stand and it works terrific.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Ok behave...

The serious answer is put the rear suspension at 25, get on the bike and rock it back and fourth and gently use the clutch. It should jump down . If you have long legs you can just rock it forward and back and it will come off .
In my world, god is cruel and passes out far too many short legs.
Of course, the makers of powered center-stands worship this god with enthusiasm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Lowering braket

Problem is he has a 1" lowerwing bracket. So, at 25 it is close to a setting of 0 with the stock bracket (stoch height). If you want a ride off stand with a 1.0" lowering kit the ride off stand should be 1.0 shorter than it is now.

By the way, I emailed baker products to see if they can proved a 1.0" lower rideoff stand (which is about 2" lower than the stock goldwing center stand - I think)

By the way, I have 1.25" lowering bracket and I just took off my center stand - I had it modified (shortened by 1") and I had the same issues as you are having (I even set the suspension at 25)

Side note: I've only bottomed out once (big bump) with the lowering bracker and can take corners at least 15 mph above the posted speed limit and I don't even come close to scraping my pegs. By the way, I usually ride the speed limit - corner or otherwise. I ride two up (I weigh 160 lbs and my wife ~ 130 lbs (total weight 290). Oh yea - I have short legs and my guess quietrider has the same issue!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 150 lbs @ 5'7" with inseam of 28". I thought the power park was very easy to disengage.:shrug: Tried with the suspension @ 0 and 25. I'll try again in the morning.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Stand doesn't work on a 1'' lower kit from them or so i was told after i bought mine and installed it.Put a car tire on wing now it seem to work alittle.I think they should have informed me of that before i bought the kit
for $589.00.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't know anything about the Powerpark, but when put
on the stock center stand, the rear wheel is completely
off the ground, so a 1" lowering kit wouldn't make it any
harder to get off than a 6" lowering kit would....
Are you sure something on the stand is not binding?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know anything about the Powerpark, but when put
on the stock center stand, the rear wheel is completely
off the ground, so a 1" lowering kit wouldn't make it any
harder to get off than a 6" lowering kit would....
Are you sure something on the stand is not binding?
That's a thought. I'll check that out today.

Thanks all for the feedback.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
In my world, god is cruel and passes out far too many short legs.
Of course, the makers of powered center-stands worship this god with enthusiasm.
And tall people complain that Honda made the Wing for short people. They can't win. They build an in between stance the fits the majority of riders.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.I got it off the stand:thumbup:. Placed a piece of 3/16" paneling on the floor in front of the rear tire, started it up, put in in gear and the tire got traction on the paneling and pulled right off the stand.

Thanks again to all for their feedback.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One size does not fit all!!

And tall people complain that Honda made the Wing for short people. They can't win. They build an in between stance the fits the majority of riders.
It A simple secondary frame modification and a choice of seats (short, average, tall) and the wing would fit a lot more people.

By the way, I sent this recommendation, and a few others, to an engineering design manager for Honda Mororsports (Japan - I found his email address on the web - long search). He replied and thanked me for the recommendations and the effort / ability to make contact with him since their email addresses are not suppose to be public). He did say they would take a look. Hmmm... I don't think they will.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Confused

So the bike has a lowering kit which makes the rear wheel sit a little higher off the ground when on the power center stand.

So get a piece of 2" x 6", about 10" long and wedge it just in front of the rear tire. If necessary, put some anti slip strips on it, for traction, then just ride off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts