GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO AND HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL YOU DADS.I HAVE A 2006 GOLDWING THAT IS TRIKED AS OF 2008.I TRIED TO INSTALL A PINGEL SHIFTER AND HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH IT ,TRYING TO SET IT I TOOK IT OFF AND WILL PLAY WITH IT OVER THE WINTER.I WENT TO RIDE TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME AS THE RAIN HAS BEEN TERRIBLE HERE.I CAN'T SHIFT THE SHIFTER UP OVER NETURAL.I DON'T KNOW WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED AS THE BIKE WAS PERFECT WHEN I PUT IT AWAY ,BUT TRIED TO PUT THE SHIFTER.CAN THAT SHIFT LEVER GET BENT.? HELP :shrug: THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
Look to see if the shifter is hitting the bottom of the head (I think?). I have the same electronic shifter and I can't think of any reason that would cause the shifter to change. I have broken a shifter before. I don't think they will bend very much before they snap.

Give a shout this winter if you still have problems getting your electronic shifter mounted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ,but i still have to get this to shift to use it this short summer.any other ideas out there?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
Put it into reverse and then cycle it back out. Make sure the shifter is returning to center. If that doesn't do it, you may have lost or broke a spring in the shifter mechanism inside the front cover.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
If the shift lever that your toe goes under isn't bent and hitting the head, then you have a problem with the levers or springs in that picture I posted earlier. The clutch slave cylinder has to be removed to pull the cover off. You can leave the hydraulic line attached to the slave cylinder and just hang it out of the way. The cover has the gear position switch mounted on the inside and it has to engage the notch in the end of the shift drum that is visible in that picture as well. Do you have the service manual avail? You will probably need it. To give you a little perspective, the oil filter is just to the right in that picture. The edge of it is right at the edge of the picture.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Before you tear it apart to check the springs try one last thing. I assume the bike will shift into first gear??

Get some help and push the bike a bit, drop it into gear and slide the rear wheel, rock it back and forth in gear, could be the shift drum is stuck and has not made a full turn and is stuck. Worth a quick try.

I guess you could put it on the center stand and work the rear wheel while in gear also.

Just an idea, but for whatever reason the shift drum is not turning be it stuck or a bent stop on the linkage.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
That's a good idea. Just don't try to put it on the centerstand, if it's still there you will throw your back out putting a trike on the centerstand.:thumbup::joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That's a good idea. Just don't try to put it on the centerstand, if it's still there you will throw your back out putting a trike on the centerstand.:thumbup::joke:
Hey. lol!! I bet you are right. I have a good excuse, I never learned to read. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Hey. lol!! I bet you are right. I have a good excuse, I never learned to read. :lol:
well... actually, I think those extra "speaking/writing exceptionally well gifts" you received were offset by a "listening/comprehending deficit"

:joke:

Dennis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WELL I PUT IT IN GEAR TODAY AND SLAMMEDIT INTO FIRST AND REVERSE AND ROCKED THE TRIKE AND BEHOLD MY GEARS ARE BACK.SOMETHING MUST HAVE GOT STUCK AND FREED WHEN SHAKEN.THANKS TO ALL WHO AIDED YOUR HELP.THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE FOURM.I HAVE BEEN READING IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTS AND DECIDED TO JOIN AND AM REALLY GLAD I DID.AGAIN THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED. KARL. :excited::thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
well... actually, I think those extra "speaking/writing exceptionally well gifts" you received were offset by a "listening/comprehending deficit"

:joke:

Dennis
Hi Dennis. Hope all is well with you and yours. :thumbup: I do not have half a brain sometimes.

Appears it worked, I hoped it would. Shift drum stuck in a half turn, needed to just pop loose and then all will work as normal.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I hope that you check in at least one more time to read this.

I fear that you were trying to set up your Pingle while the bike was stationary. Motorcycles do not like to be shifted while stationary as you have discovered. If you try to force the bike into a gear with your foot or a Pingle solenoid, you will eventually damage the shifter forks and that is a major repair which costs in the neighborhood of .... thousands.

Jack up your trike's rear end so that the rear wheels are off the ground and make sure it is secure by putting jack stands under the axle. Then you can simulate riding by shifting through the gears while the bike is "in motion" at least by having the drive train moving while stationary. You may be able to get your Pingle working by doing so.

Just a shot in the dark... I have no idea what you were actually doing with the Pingle, but this is my suspicion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES I WAS TRING TO SET UP THE PINGEL AND DID NOT HAVE THE TRIKE SET UP.I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE TELLING AND I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE,AS I AM NEW TO THE TRIKE.I HAVE NO PROBLEM WRENCHING BUT AM NEW TO THE TRIKE.THAT'S WHY I JOINED THIS FOURM AS I SAID BEFORE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEST ONE ON THE NET.I WILL VALUE YOUR ADVISE AND THANK YOU FOR WRITING.I AM NOW GOING TO WAIT UNTIL WINTER UNTIL I PUT THE ELECTRIC SHIFTER BACK ON BECAUSE THE SUMMERS ARE SHORT HERE AND I NEED SOMETHING TO DO OVER THE LONG WINTERS HERE.THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE AND WAS TAKEN WELL. KARL:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Karl

Please make sure that when you are "running" down the imaginary road there is no danger that your rear wheel will ever contact the floor. Putting the front wheel in one of (these<-- click) will ensure you have no mishaps.

I understand about the short summer. I sometimes will put my bike on the center stand and have a fan from Walmart mounted in front of the bike set on high..... :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the help.i do have a tire stop.i once saw a friend of mine rocket his bike thru a garage wall.it wasn't to pretty of a sight. Karl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts