GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 635 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 DCT/Airbag, bougnt new, not much farkling, what farkling there is was installed by the dealer before purchased, has about 4000 miles.

I searched here and googled there and can't find any reference to this particular problem: Sunday I was riding along some country roads, doing a steady 50, when the PGM-FI light came on. Having no idea what that meant, I pulled over and, engine idling, I watched it for a couple of minutes while looking through the owner's manual, which was not much help. The light stayed on steadily for about a count of 30, then went off for a count of five, then came back on for a count of 30. It did this for a few moments. I had no cell phone reception, and the engine seemed to be running okay, so I slowly road on about a mile to a major intersection. I stopped at the light and checked my cell phone and had a few bars and was going to pull into a gas station to assess my situation, but when the light changed and I tried to move the bike, it wouldn't move. I looked at the dash, and the dash said the bike was in 6th gear. I turned it off, then tried to restart it, but the dash still said 6th gear, and it wouldn't start. I pulled to the shoulder, and called AAA. They came out and trucked me home. After sitting overnight, the bike still says it's in 6th, and it still won't start. The PGM-FI light is now solid orange, and the oil light is now solid red. (I checked the oil before riding Sunday, and it was fine.)

I'm getting ready to call the dealer, but if anyone has any insight on how to reset the CPU or ECU or whatever other acronym is unhappy, I'd be grateful.

I've checked the battery cables, and they're both tight. I don't have a shop manual, but I've googled the PGM-FI blinking codes, and none describes what I was getting.

·
15 year Member
6,819 Posts
Damm Gary that sucks...
if it were me and after reading a TON of every problem everybody has had I would definitely take it to the dealer.... let them figure it out....

mattbcnv

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Matt. I am resigned to having to take it to the dealer, but I fear that's going to leave me without a bike for weeks. I'm in denial and fantasizing that one of the GWGs (GoldWingGurus) will have some simple miracle fix: "Oh yeah--that's nothing. Plug your iPhone into the USB port, and the error codes will clear right up."

·
15 year Member
6,819 Posts
Thank you Matt. I am resigned to having to take it to the dealer, but I fear that's going to leave me without a bike for weeks. I'm in denial and fantasizing that one of the GWGs (GoldWingGurus) will have some simple miracle fix: "Oh yeah--that's nothing. Plug your iPhone into the USB port, and the error codes will clear right up."
yea just like the person that breaks down on the side of the road, and opens the hood to have a look..... what do you think is in there? , a ON OFF switch ???

LOL

some things are best left to the “professionals“..

good luck my thumb drive making friend.....

mattbcnv

·
Love The DCT
11,556 Posts
2018 DCT/Airbag, bougnt new, not much farkling, what farkling there is was installed by the dealer before purchased, has about 4000 miles.

I searched here and googled there and can't find any reference to this particular problem: Sunday I was riding along some country roads, doing a steady 50, when the PGM-FI light came on. Having no idea what that meant, I pulled over and, engine idling, I watched it for a couple of minutes while looking through the owner's manual, which was not much help. The light stayed on steadily for about a count of 30, then went off for a count of five, then came back on for a count of 30. It did this for a few moments. I had no cell phone reception, and the engine seemed to be running okay, so I slowly road on about a mile to a major intersection. I stopped at the light and checked my cell phone and had a few bars and was going to pull into a gas station to assess my situation, but when the light changed and I tried to move the bike, it wouldn't move. I looked at the dash, and the dash said the bike was in 6th gear. I turned it off, then tried to restart it, but the dash still said 6th gear, and it wouldn't start. I pulled to the shoulder, and called AAA. They came out and trucked me home. After sitting overnight, the bike still says it's in 6th, and it still won't start. The PGM-FI light is now solid orange, and the oil light is now solid red. (I checked the oil before riding Sunday, and it was fine.)

I'm getting ready to call the dealer, but if anyone has any insight on how to reset the CPU or ECU or whatever other acronym is unhappy, I'd be grateful.

I've checked the battery cables, and they're both tight. I don't have a shop manual, but I've googled the PGM-FI blinking codes, and none describes what I was getting.
Curious if you followed the guidance on page 113 in the owner’s manual to restart the bike when neutral is not selected when you turn the ignition switch on. Also see page 181.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious if you followed the guidance on page 113 in the owner’s manual to restart the bike when neutral is not selected when you turn the ignition switch on. Also see page 181.
Heading for the OM right....now!

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I had tried that, although not from the manual, just from trial and error. Ignition comes on, but nothing good happens after that. Thanks for the suggestion..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yes, I had tried that, although not from the manual, just from trial and error. Ignition comes on, but nothing good happens after that. Thanks for the suggestion..
Gary, I;m sorry to hear about your trouble. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Murf is one of the resident experts so if he doesn’t have any suggestions then I cannot imagine anyone will, maybe Fred.

Could a bad battery cause this?

Good luck on a simple solution, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bike 'says' it's in 6th gear but is it really? Can you push it or spin the rear tire while on the centerstand?
Have you disconnected the battery for 2 or 3 mins to see if that cleared the problem? Only 2 things you don't seemed to have tried that I can think of. Good luck with it (y)

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the suggestions. It's not acutlly in gear--I can push it. I have disconnected the battery. No joy.

·
Love The DCT
11,556 Posts
Bike 'says' it's in 6th gear but is it really? Can you push it or spin the rear tire while on the centerstand?
Have you disconnected the battery for 2 or 3 mins to see if that cleared the problem? Only 2 things you don't seemed to have tried that I can think of. Good luck with it (y)
Thank you for the suggestions. It's not acutlly in gear--I can push it. I have disconnected the battery. No joy.
With the ignition on, engine not running, and the display indicating it is in gear, you can still push the bike around or put it up on the centerstand and rotate the rear tire because the clutches are disengaged.

Even with the engine running at idle with the bike in gear and sitting at a stop light, you can still move the bike forward or backward because the clutches are disengaged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How about a hard reset on your bike electrical system, disconnect both battery cables form the battery and connect the terminals together for 30 minuets, sometimes this will reset a module that is stuck on stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. Going outside to try that now. Is there residual power in the system that makes the leads electrically or electronically active with no battery power present?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Not having a 2018 owner's manual..... on the NC700X DCT if the battery is faulty or the shift control motor is faulty one can get the bike back into neutral the same way you would a manual transmission bike that rolls to a stop in 6th gear. You turn on the ignition and rock the bike back and forth a few inches to help the shift control motor line up the gear dogs and hopefully it downshifts sequentially gear by gear down to neutral.

A few times with my DCT I turned off the bike with the engine stop switch when the bike was in 6th gear and let it come to a stop in order to practice doing this if it was ever necessary to manually find neutral. I know it does work on that bike. However you had a display of the FI light indicating some other issue but it could be related to a bad battery. That's about the only thing that will keep the transmission from downshifting to N when stopping.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. The battery is reading 11v at rest, so I'm charging it overnight. I'm also going to give Valk's idea a try. Many electronic systems have capacitors that retain a charge, and that charge might reset the CPU or ECU or LSMFT or whatever the heck acronym is scrambled. Or it could be a damaged part or circuit. I've got a few ideas to try before I consign Goldey to the hospital. But I'm also pretty sure that's where she's heading. She's got DCT-19.

1 - 20 of 635 Posts