GL1800Riders Forums banner

381 - 400 of 471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
The OP did what he could troubleshooting so that he possibly could get the bike back running and not be in the situation the bike is in now with the bike stalled out at the dealer with red tape and runaround
Thanks. There has been some red tape (not excessive), but I as yet have no sense of getting the runaround.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The parts fiche for the generator only has some bolts and a brush set that is replaceable. I see now why Honda can’t troubleshoot it because there are no parts that can be ordered separately to repair the issue. I’m sure a good alternator shop can disassemble and figure out what’s going on. lol and Fred

·
Vendor
21,658 Posts
I noticed a comment about a loose connection early in this thread. If either of the battery cables were loose, that might lead to burning up the regulator circuit in the ISG. Since the ISG acts as both motor and generator, I suspect the control circuitry in it is a bit more complicated than the standard alternator. You'd probably need to get ahold of the schematic for it to be able to do any serious troubleshooting. I wonder if it is even made by Honda, or if they outsourced it.

·
Love The DCT
11,511 Posts
I noticed a comment about a loose connection early in this thread. If either of the battery cables were loose, that might lead to burning up the regulator circuit in the ISG. Since the ISG acts as both motor and generator, I suspect the control circuitry in it is a bit more complicated than the standard alternator. You'd probably need to get ahold of the schematic for it to be able to do any serious troubleshooting. I wonder if it is even made by Honda, or if they outsourced it.
If you look at the back of the ventilated plastic cover on the rear of the ISG, you will see "Valeo." Valeo is a French company that makes components for hybrid vehicles. Based on that, I'm guessing Honda outsourced it and Valeo probably supplied the ISG for the new wings.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Fred, if it is determined to be the case that a loose connection or unstable voltage caused this is there anything that can be added to prevent this from frying the ISG? Im electronically stupid so just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It most likely has a circuit board with multiple surface mount IC's ect. Not hard to damage. Will be interesting to see the outcome. One month nearly gone. Pretty bad to make things this difficult and time consuming to repair.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #396 (Edited)
My theory, totally ignorance-based, and assuming the ISG solves the problem--which I have decided it will--is that if the generator was trying heroically to keep the voltage up, it could have overheated, causing a circuit-board component to burn out. We likely will never know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it has a circuit board with IC components then that board has a voltage regulator on it to get the 12 volts down to 3 volts. That regulator should stop any damage due to an unstable 12 volt input and should be designed to work off what we call dirty power (12 volt battery with not preregulation) unless it is running off some other source from the bike. Now this is all "should", but from earlier post this part is not designed by Honda but sourced from a 3rd party, so who knows what they in the ISG for filtering that 12 volt input coming into the circuit board. All speculation at this point.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Failure of charge system is often instant loss of charging from a wear item or a solid state component part failure, then the loss of alternator output preceding low system voltage.

381 - 400 of 471 Posts