GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the hitch in/out of the receiver a dozen times without any problem.

I'm taking the bike to the dealer in the AM for the ECM replacement/frame weld and when I tried to take the hitch out of the receiver...the key will not open the lock.

I'm 100% certain it's the right key...(the round type). It acts as if it's the wrong key though. Anyone encountered this before...? I will call bushtec in the AM...but wanted to get this done tonight... any idea's...???? already soaked it with WD-40.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Traveler said:
when I tried to take the hitch out of the receiver...the key will not open the lock.

I'm 100% certain it's the right key...(the round type). It acts as if it's the wrong key though.
are you using a locking pin though the receiver? on mine, the receiver pin is a black key and the bushtec hitch pin is a yellow key. they are both the round type. any chance you have them mixed up?
just a thought. . .

geek

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geek....yep, positive it's the right key. I am using a receiver pin thru the receiver...it's chrome and came with the hitch I bought from bushtec. It came with 2 key's...I have always kept them together on the same ring they came on...in the trunk. I don't have the bushtec "hitch-pin" so I don't have that other key...I have a regular ball hitch. Thanks for your idea though...it could have been that...

·
Registered
249 Posts
dang, wish it would have been that simple.

how about a small pebble down in where the key goes that would keep the key from being seated all the way? i know they have a little snap on plastic cover, but you never know.

geek

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly something like that...it's got me "whupped"...ha! I don't usually give up on anything...but I tried for two hours to get this thing unlocked. I put the little red tube on the WD-40 can right up against the key slot and filled/squirted it full force with all the pressure I could get...no luck...it does seem hung up or something...not sure how I can get this thing off...it's a hardened pin...and as you know...absolutely no room to saw...too much "stuff" around the tire/wiring/fender for a torch...looks like I have a right good problem on my hands... :?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The last time I took mine off I had a difficult time getting it to unlock. It did not want to turn. After I got it off I sprayed some Super Lube Dri-Film Lubricant in it. Now it works very easy. Try spraying some WD-40 in it for now and see if it will unlock.

:yw1:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I do not know about the frame weld, but when I had the ECM done I left my hitch on. I do not think you have to have it removed unless you just want too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i just went out and looked at mine. there seems to be either a spring or a piece of rubber in the bottom of the lock that has to be depressed while turning. the ridge on the key goes right up to the barrel before it will turn.
is the inside of the key clean?
i'm out of ideas, sorry.
geek

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LeRoy...if I ever get the :cus: thing off...I certainly will lube it good...right now...it doesn't look like I'm gonna get it off any time soon. I don't imagine I need it off for the work that is to be done...just wanted it off and out of the way...

·
Registered
36 Posts
BUSHTEC Hitch lock

I had the same problem also. I let the lock soak for over a week with WD 40 and also kept working the key as well. It never would unlock. The pin itself is hardened but the lock part that goes on the pin is quite soft. So I drilled one hole where there is a small rollpin in the side of the lock only as deep as I knew that it went in the lock. I soaked the lock more and rotated the lock with the key. Still would not unlock, so I drilled two more hole close together and soaked it again, still no luck. Then I took a hacksaw and cut the lock at the drilled holes (it cut very easily) then I pryed the lock apart. It did come off but is no longer useable as a lock. I will drill out the pin to accept a small padlock for the future. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orangecrush...sounds like I have the same problem...I haven't had it a year...seems to be a pretty low quality piece of junk doesn't it. Bushtec usually has high quality product's...I know they don't make this...just buy it from somebody and include it in their kit...but it's causing me a WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE...as it did for you...

Thanks for the info...look's like I will have to do the same thing...I knew someone here would shed some light on the situation...even if it wasn't good news... :?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know you have tried everything but here are some other thoughts.

1. Wack the lock end a couple of times with a hammer. Not real hard just enough to vibrate it a little to free up any stuck lock tumbler pins

2. Make sure that the lock end of the pin is not pressed up tightly against the receiver. You should be able to rotate the entire pin assembly. If it's to tight loosen the locking nut and bolt and wiggle the hitch.

3. While holding on to the non-lock end of the pin push the lock end out away from the receiver and hold there while inserting the key. Align the key and apply pressure to the key and turn to unlock while holding on to the other end of the pin.

4. If you are sure you have the correct key then the internal lock tumbler pins must be rusted or stuck in place and your only solution may be to cut it off.

:yw1:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had trouble with mine when it was installed. I couldn't get the key to turn. John Preston couldn't either. Eric finally got it to work. Turned out the key wasn't going in fully though it felt like it was. It took pretty good inward pressure before it would turn.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
11:15pm here ..................I am headed to the garage. Can't wait till tomorrow. I need to know if mine will unlock tonight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well it unlocked. Now I am depressed. My rear rim is dirty as $..T.
Something I noticed. When I inserted the key. The key only went in a little bit. I turned the key a litlle and it was like the key lined up with something inside and the key was able to go in further. Then it was able to unlock. Mine still had the black rubber cover over the end of the lock. So no trash was able to get inside the lock.
Good luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I haven't ever tried to get mine off. Will do that tomorrow after work. It has only been on since Sept 03, so I hope it is okay. How about posting any tips you get from Bushtec. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spray graphite powder in locks I have that are exposed to the elements. Also on the deadbolts to the house(wife had problems with one lock) It seems to help for a smoother operation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well...no luck this AM. I've tried all of your suggestions and it's still locked. As I mentioned earlier...I've had it unlocked/off at least a dozen times.

Usually when I drop the camper in the garage, I drop the hitch from the receiver but I didn't last time for some reason...might have been that it's been to cold to ride.

I don't expect much help from bushtec...mainly because, after hearing from you guy's who have had the same problem...there doesn't seem to be any "tricks" to get it off...just plain old straight forward common sense (and a hack saw) :(

I will take it on to the shop this AM with the hitch on...so the next chapter will be a while. We are leaving for about 5-6 week's saturday and I won't get the bike back until we return...

Thanks again for all of your response. Maybe I can answer a question for you some time...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Traveler, from the looks of it you are only a couple of hours from the Bushtec factory. Why not take it up and let John or one of his guys take a look at the problem? At the very least, they'll be able to do some quality control checks on the thing and take that information to their supplier for improvement. They might also be able to quickly get the thing off without the need for hacksaw blades or cutting torches.

Ben
Houston, TX

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Askew...bushtec is about 3.5 hours away from me...but I don't have time right now to take it up there. I am getting ready for a winter trip (leaving saturday)...just have too much to do right now. I may take it up there when I get back, but that will be about 6 weeks...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts