GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this morning by finding my battery dead. Left the heat on my seat for 2 days. :oops: If I keep this seat I will wire it though an accesory terminial instead of direct to the battery like it is now so it shuts off with the key. :roll:

Anyway, I just put my car charger on the battery, is that ok? The car and bike are both 12 volt and I have the charge on 10 amps. Once there is enough juice to start the bike am I done? Is there a period of time I should leave it on? I have always removed my charger from my cage right after it started and I could drive it, same with the bike or not?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
812 Posts
You might want to try charging at 2 amps instead.

I think its better to charge the smaller (compared to a car) bike battery at 2 amp to reduce the chances of overheating and warping a plate. Also, a good idea to leave the battery on charge until it is in the green or light comes on the charger. Let the alternator replace the "juice" that the bike uses, but don't ask it to perofrm as a battery charger (when the energy is as close as a wall outlet). You will definately want to connect that seat through a switched terminal. I just installed a CB radio on my wife's FJR1300 and I used the taillight.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
What is the amp draw of the seat? I think the acc. outlet is only 5 amps.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Russell page says "Each unit draws approximately 1.5 amps. This is not a constant draw as when the heater reaches it's temperature, the thermoswitch turns on and off."

Bill

·
Registered
939 Posts
A car charger is fine. However I would use a lower amperage setting. 2 amps would be fine. I would then leave it on the charger until it is fully charged.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think that 10 amps is too much as you run the risk of warping the plates within the battery. Most trickle chargers are in the 1.5 amp range for motorcycle batteries.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would not use a car charger for the same reason I would not want to jump start my bike from a car...too many amps. Get a battery maintainer and plug it in every time the bike is parked. No more dead batteries in the morning...unless the battery is toast.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
No more than 2 amps is preferred for fully charging the smaller amp rated battery. 10 amps can be used as you did for a short time (15-30 minutes, max) to get you going.

You can jump your battery from a car battery. 12 volts is 12 volts.
Battery chargers operate at a higher voltage.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is everyone sold on the Battery Tender brand or would others do? I just called around and found the Battery Tender Jr. but not the larger one (Plus, I think?). Walmart had a Black and Decker and another brand, Schomaker (?) I think. Are they all about the same or is there a reason for a particular brand and the Goldwing?

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BillsGW said:
Is everyone sold on the Battery Tender brand or would others do? I just called around and found the Battery Tender Jr. but not the larger one (Plus, I think?). Walmart had a Black and Decker and another brand, Schomaker (?) I think. Are they all about the same or is there a reason for a particular brand and the Goldwing?

Thanks for all the help.

Bill
I believe the B&D unit at WalMart is a true battery maintainer. I recall that it is rated at 2 amps. I would use it. It is also $18 v. over $50 for the BT+.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Richard h,

Thanks for your advice, I am leaving for Walmart now. We should hit 70 degrees here today and it is my "day off" (ie; I am blowing off my "to do" list to do some riding). :lol: :lol: Thank you to the rest for your replys too.

Take care,

Bill

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Just to put things in perspective, remember the alternator output in your bike is over 85 amps. So 10 amps for a short period of time is not going to hurt a bike battery. If it is dead, as yours was, you have a 20 amp-hour battery in the bike, so putting a 10 amp charger on for 2 hours will charge your battery. So will 2 amps for 10 hours. But as the battery charges, the resistance increases and the rate of charge slows.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the bike puts out 85 amps, why would it hurt to ride with a drained battery? Wouldn't it charge up? I have had the 2 amp Black & Decker on there for a few hours, still a yellow light (not charged full yet) and the day is fading! I want to ride! :cry: It is getting into the 30's and 40's at night here now, so the earlier I can get out the better! One morning last week, 28 degrees in the early morning. Burrrrr. At least most of the bugs are dead :wink:

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
BillsGW said:

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

They have the Jr. Yuasa here for about $25.
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.asp?P ... odID=23373

I rode almost everyday last winter, often at night on backroads with the Wing's four beams on. This tender always had the bike starting the next day with no problem. I'm sold on it. Tenders are great!

·
Registered
292 Posts
ChuckR said:
I think that 10 amps is too much as you run the risk of warping the plates within the battery. Most trickle chargers are in the 1.5 amp range for motorcycle batteries.
I agree.
Too much heat for small battery with close plate placement.
Also, note this type of battery can be compromised if voltage goes below ( am I remembering this right?? ) 11 volts.

Thats why the trickle charge used in storage.

Hope this helps.
dw

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that most of the battery maintainers are useless if the battery is near completely dead, the battery has to have something like 4 volts befor the maintainer will start working, so if its really low u will have to use a normal battery charger for a short while to get the volts up to where a battery maintainer can takeover

the battery maintainers at walmart are a very good choice

just remember to get the seat hooked up so that it has to shut off when the key is off, lucky the problem happened at home, everytime something like that happens the battery life is shortened

i wouldn't waste the day waiting for the maintainer to fully charge the battery, if the bike starts go riding and the bike should charge the battery just fine, when u get home hook up the maintainer and see what happens

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black and Decker shorted out the first day I had it. Strange how it happened. My son and I were talking and we heard a kind of "pop" and when I went to investigate the only thing nearby was the B & D charger. It wasn't even plugged in. Plugged it in and it wouldn't work. Retruned to Wally and will order a Battery Tender brand.

Bill

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Gee's Bill ? If you've already got a charger why buy another ? I pull my battery every winter and put it in the basement. I refresh the batteries charge once every 30 days per the instructions on the battery. 2 amps for 5hrs. Install it in the spring and I'm good to go. Hey it's your call for sure, I just thought why ?.......... :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you jump started it, why are you sitting around waiting for it to charge on a charger???? I've drained mine completely three times. Volt meter showed about 1 1/2 volt the one time I checked it. Turn off anything unessential. Need to keep the rpm up to keep it going but after a few hours of riding, it is good to go.

I've got a Battery Doc that I carry with me. Used it several times on my daughters bike and on a couple of others. Seems to work fine. Here's one on EBay although I did not get mine here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Battery- ... enameZWD1V

1 - 20 of 39 Posts