GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Honda dealership where I bought my bike here in Edmonton and was told that Honda is changing the way the dealers are set up starting next year. Apparently the dealerships will sell Honda autos as well as everything Honda? My dealer here sells exclusively Honda, bikes, quads, gen-sets and etc and apparently he is Ok due to the small size of his store.
I don't know if this is a good move by Honda? I prefer a small store with people I know and good service. I don't think I would be comfortable talking to someone who might sell cars as well.
What do you think? Will it be the same south of the border?
Good riding, it is starting to snow here again and I think it's gonna stay. :?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This rumor goes around about this time every year.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The dealerships I've been to wouldn't have enough room to put one car on the floor, much less carry any substantial inventory on their lots. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I don't really believe that. I have been in several brand new Honda dealers this year in Tex. that are designed specifically for Cycles. I just don't believe they would have built them that way this close to a rule like that. But I could be wrong, I misguessed the weight of a chicken once by 15 lbs. :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
It could happen. The BMW car dealership in Albuquerque now sells BMW motorcycles. The motorcycles have their own showroom complete with marble tile with separate sales and service reps right next to the car showroom. The selection of BMW motorcycles is much better now than it was when a multi motorcyle dealership had them. Also, the BMW riders club here uses the dealership as their ride headquarters like the Harley dealership does. I've noticed the BMW dealership has lots of BMW riders there with their bikes most Saturday mornings. I stopped by one Saturday morning to look at the bikes and they gave me a cup of froo froo coffee and a bagel with cream cheese.

·
Registered
657 Posts
BMW's

Not sure if that is a good indicator. In 1987 I bought a Mazda B2000 pickup truck at a BMW / Mazda dealership in Jacksonville, FL, (this was around the time I also bought my 1986 Yamaha 1100 Virago) and I noticed they also had BMW cycles on the sales floor behind the car side. It probably depends on the dealer accepting that aspect of sales (or at least at that time).
Dennis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't be too sure it won't happen guys. We already have that scenario in the UK.

Space and size was not a problem because what happened was that the car dealerships suddenly started selling bikes from a corner of their showroom and the small bike shops were discarded.

I can see that it is in Honda's interest to have fewer and larger outlets to administer, but it hasn't done us bikers any favours.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Auto/Cycle sales

In the late 60's that was the way it was in parts of Maryland.
There was a Honda auto & motorcycle dealer on Suitland Rd., in Silver Hill,Md & also a big dealer of Honda autos & motorcycles in Waldorf,Md..
I was riding HD @ the time & didn't pay too much attention to either the Honda cars or bikes.
I personally would hate to see it.
JMO,
the hobo

·
Registered
394 Posts
The chances of this ever happening are slim and none and I just saw slim leaving town. The motorcycle, ATV, automotive, power equiptment franchise etc... franchises are all seperate from each other. You have to apply and qualify for each one. The chasm between the Honda automotive dealers and the Honda motorcycle dealers is great. You would see very few on the automotive side want to take on bikes, and very few bike dealers qualify or have the knowledge to take on the cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I wouldn't have mentioned this if I hadn't heard of it from an employee in the Honda shop. Apparently, a well known multi-brand dealer in town will lose his Honda line and more dealers are to open with the cars as well. It seems to me that the dealers who were exclusively Honda will still be OK. I personally don't like this idea and would rather skip the bagel and froo..froo coffee.

W

·
0 Posts
Every company is looking for ways to cut overhead, and to house all products under one roof makes sense to me as long as my Goldwing doesn't get serviced next to Acord or Civic by the same wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts