GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 Dct this morning and I have a question about Car Play. If I plug my iPhone into the USB in the cubby
What will show up on the bike display and what will I be able to do, ie. play music such as Spotify. Will it play on the bike speakers? I am a little confused because I was watching utube and it said car play doesn’t work unless you have helmet speakers such as Sena, etc. I haven’t got the bike yet so I can’t test out for myself

·
Registered
257 Posts
Danaman,
You need a Bluetooth headset so that you can give commands to Siri. That is a requirement for Apple CarPlay on the bike. You can stream Spotify, XM radio iTunes, Apple Music navigation info, etc. the sound will come out of the speakers or headset speakers depending on the headset/speaker button on the top shelter.

Reactions: bigrobtemp

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are saying I can plug in just my phone and listen to Spotify songs in my library on the bike speakers

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
J&M said they were going to be marketing a wired headset solution for the new Goldwings. I don't know if that ever happened or not.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So you are saying I can plug in just my phone and listen to Spotify songs in my library on the bike speakers
If you want lo listen music which is storaged in your phone even you dont need to plug in your phone.
You can stream audio via bluetooth by pairing your phone to the bike.
But if you want to search music on spotify and listen online music then you need car play.
As said car play needs bluetooth headset to start. But if you dont need to speak on phone while riding and only want car play for online music and online navigation apps there is a cheaper solution.
You can buy cheap bluettoth to aux adaptor. pair it to your bike. and put the little device in the cubby.Then you plug you phone to bike and car play will start. Even you dont have a mic and headset you can not voice command siri or talk to the phone but you can use other features of car play by this.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Simple answer is CarPlay must see a microphone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
But also, you CAN just put your headset controller in the compartment, turned on, and CarPlay will work over the bike speakers. I do this when wearing a helmet without speakers or a half helmet but still want CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 06winger and Drgsin

·
Registered
930 Posts
J&M said they were going to be marketing a wired headset solution for the new Goldwings. I don't know if that ever happened or not.

I have the J&M Blu-Hub it is a wired headset that uses Bluetooth to pair to the bike.

I wonder if they would be able to come up with something that is wired directly to the bike for wired helmets bypassing the Bluetooth?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I have the J&M Blu-Hub it is a wired headset that uses Bluetooth to pair to the bike.

I wonder if they would be able to come up with something that is wired directly to the bike for wired helmets bypassing the Bluetooth?
I think that would be great but I believe the audio unit is sealed with no I/O options that could be used for two way coms in a head set.

Ideally, Honda would have provided means for either Bluetooth or wired, but the general public has this misguided fascination with Bluetooth and market forces took it from there.
I personally have never gotten along well with Bluetooth and prefer wired connections that just work without having to perform pairing rituals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
to Order66
Good solution!
Only switch on and off every ride!

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
49 Posts
To correct a couple of previous posts, Car Play doesn’t require a microphone, and doesn’t require that you communicate with Siri.

I plug my IPhone into the bike, and pair Bluetooth earbuds to the bike. Car play pops up and I can control everything from the left side switches.

Incidentally, if you really want a quiet ride and outstanding audio (compared to my Sena), consider the Phiaton BT220 NC Bluetooth earbuds on Amazon. Active noise cancelling = less wind noise, and you get much better music fidelity while still being able to hear cars, horns, etc.

Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
To correct a couple of previous posts, Car Play doesn’t require a microphone, and doesn’t require that you communicate with Siri.

I plug my IPhone into the bike, and pair Bluetooth earbuds to the bike. Car play pops up and I can control everything from the left side switches.

Incidentally, if you really want a quiet ride and outstanding audio (compared to my Sena), consider the Phiaton BT220 NC Bluetooth earbuds on Amazon. Active noise cancelling = less wind noise, and you get much better music fidelity while still being able to hear cars, horns, etc.

Steve
Those earbuds seem to be sold out everywhere? Does anyone have other suggestions? It's hard to hear the sena's sometimes.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Steve
Steve,
Not to ruffle your feathers, but your earbuds do have a mic. While I agree you don’t have to talk to Siri, Apple has designed the “safety feature” of Apple CarPlay to look for a Bluetooth device that can take voice commands from the pilot. That’s why you can’t just plug in and use it in the phone alone, the intent is to keep car drivers from fiddling with their radio head units instead of keeping their eyes on the road. Hence the voice “requirement”. I really do like those earbuds! How comfortable are they? Can you wear them for hours without discomfort?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No ruffled feathers here...

The Phiaton are very comfortable, and the battery lasts all day. I’m on my 2nd pair, I damaged the first pair and they sent me a new set for the cost of the repair. I’ve had these total for about 6-7 years, and think they’re great.

They do regularly go out of stock, but patience will be rewarded.

As for the comment about the mic, you may be right, to be honest I can’t imagine where it is.
I’ll continue to use my Sena when we’re 2-up, but noise = fatigue, so the Phiaton will remain my go-to choice when I’m alone.

Ride safe,
Steve

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Don't even need to plug it in.

Don't need to use Carplay

Pair phone to bike and phone can stay in trunk or pocket or wherever.

Kinda like having a non-apple.

OTOH, you just want to play saved audio from your library, you could copy the audio files to as usb and use it instead of the phone.

All depends what you want to be able to do.
But if you want google maps or any of the other phone based apps -- you need carplay, and carplay needs to find a mic before it will start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts