GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In theory, car tires should go on car rims because of the different size lips (I don't know the proper name for that locking edge). Right? A better lock or grip between the tire and rim is a good thing--a SAFETY upgrade, just like using a BMT is--right?

So, what CAR RIMS will fit on a Gold Wing?

Or, what company could MAKE a GL1800 sized rim with a car size locking lip?

PS
Anyone who wants to attack me for looking for a way to make using BMT safer, have at it. I can think of a lot of useles farkles that cost a freaking fortune that have no chance of making riding one bit safer under ANY circumstances. If I seek to spend my own money on car rims for a motorcycle and you don't like it, tough spit!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
CC, If I'm not mistaken, the Goldwing rear rim has the same bead design as a car wheel and that is one reason why a car tire works so well on the Wing. Someone with more knowledge may show up and either conform or dispell this.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
In theory, car tires should go on car rims because of the different size lips (I don't know the proper name for that locking edge). Right? A better lock or grip between the tire and rim is a good thing--a SAFETY upgrade, just like using a BMT is--right?

PS
Anyone who wants to attack me for looking for a way to make using BMT safer, have at it. I can think of a lot of useles farkles that cost a freaking fortune that have no chance of making riding one bit safer under ANY circumstances. If I seek to spend my own money on car rims for a motorcycle and you don't like it, tough spit!

Your over thinking this.
Car tire works fine on the 1800 wheel.

·
Registered
973 Posts
To date, there has not been a single report of any type of car tire/rim failure with an 1800 rear wheel. No leaking, no failures, no blow outs, nothing. How could one improve on that?

MM

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
CC, If I'm not mistaken, the Goldwing rear rim has the same bead design as a car wheel and that is one reason why a car tire works so well on the Wing. Someone with more knowledge may show up and either conform or dispell this.

I believe the same thing. :shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
To date, there has not been a single report of any type of car tire/rim failure with an 1800 rear wheel. No leaking, no failures, no blow outs, nothing. How could one improve on that?

MM
Yes sir, that's my understanding too! Mount'em up boy and ride!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

PS
Not to worry you'll be ok with the wing wheel!

Give that man a Darksider cookie. You are correct!

I believe the same thing. :shrug:
One more cookies or after seeing him last year maybe a Darksider Brownie!
You are also correct.

Gentlemen the proof is in the pudding or maybe I should say on the inside of your wheels. Both front and rear have the same safety bead inside of them.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
wheel rims

+1 for all the above. The people who get in trouble are those that try to use a ct on a bike that has a narrow rim without a safety bead. The tire will mount, but not really be seated against the rim properly because the rim is too narrow. It can come off the rim or pull away suddenly with very bad results. The proof of how well the ct's fit on our rims is evident when you try to dismount one. They really seal against the rim! ! !

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

PS
I have looked into this somewhat and have not been able to find a car that has the extremely small bolt patteren, (I think it is 5x3.00) that would be required. I have found a company that custom fabricates wheel adapters from one pattern to the next. Would need to get a rim offset to the exact additional amount required to fit the spacer in. Minimum thickness for spacer is 1". Would also need to shorten the wheel studs to fit behind the rim.

All this effort would not be practical since as many have pointed out that the wing rim handles the tire fine.......though it may be neat to have a Porsche rim on the back.

Before anyone gets up in arms, I realize that this is not the ideal situation , and depending on your point of view the offset may cause extreme handling issues, and the weight, and the clearance etc etc etc.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I think I will stay with my Goldwing rim. Picked up a nail on the way to work and ran a non run flat @ less than 10psi hot, and no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
if you get a custom wheel made with the car tire lip & gl1800 lug pattern, it still will not be D.O.T. approved without lots of testing which costs money & takes time. & if its a non DOT approved tire or wheel & you get in an accident you will get in even more trouble than having a DOT approved wheel made for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
if you get a custom wheel made with the car tire lip & gl1800 lug pattern, it still will not be D.O.T. approved without lots of testing which costs money & takes time. & if its a non DOT approved tire or wheel & you get in an accident you will get in even more trouble than having a DOT approved wheel made for a motorcycle.
I never thought about that aspect. I always thought if someone was manufacturing a custom wheel they would be legal. Some of the hot rod shows have Chip Foose manufacture one offs, so I thought there would be no problems. I guess best to just ask if going that route.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

PS
Honest question, based upon a 'theory' that seems sound. No harm in asking!

We darksiders hear lots of criticism based upon "scientific" theories, backed up by "expert opinions" and "common sense observations".

And yet we have thousands of darksiders with tens of millions of miles of actual experience, without any supporting evidence for the dire predictions of the naysayers.

No properly mounted tires coming off of the stock rim. No need to "reinvent the wheel".
Unless you want to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never thought about that aspect. I always thought if someone was manufacturing a custom wheel they would be legal. Some of the hot rod shows have Chip Foose manufacture one offs, so I thought there would be no problems. I guess best to just ask if going that route.
there are alot of aftermarket replacement parts (lights, wheel, hydrolic suspensions, & etc.) that if you read the little disclamer in the package they will say "for show use only" &/ "check local laws before using". most of the aftermarket fog/ driving or accent lights people put on their bike/ car are also illegal for street use because they aren't DOT approved even though they aren't as bright as newer oem lighting on other cars.

i'm not saying you can't get custom wheels, but don't think they will help in the legal aspect because they may actually harm your legal stance. i run 10w LED fog lights on my gl1800 (i doubt they are DOT approved) & HIDs in both my head lights & driving lights on my gl1500 (& have been advised that the gl1500 headlight housing is DOT approved for the H4 bulb, but the HID replacement isn't)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts