GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2020 Goldwing in the next week or so. I'm a solid believer in using a car tire instead of a MT on the rear of the bike. Been running them since 1978.
Problem I'm having with Harley is coverage with my Extended Service Plan. Harley just canceled me because of the CT. 85K miles on a four year old bike. I'm inclined to think they realized I was a long haul rider and the ESP I have now is 7 years unlimited miles. They bailed on me.
Though there is yet to be a single credible incident of how a car tire is really dangerous, is there any proof that a CT is a strain on the drive train as Harley claims?
How does Honda deal with the CT issue and warranty coverage?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Did Harley TELL YOU the canx was due to the CT? Or is that you guessing?

AFAIK, there have been no Honda cancellations due to a CT. Hell, they haven't dropped a bike because of towing, even though it is stated in the owners manual towing a trailer is a prohibited mod...but that is an entirely different thread.

And there are a number of 2018+ GL riders using a run flat CT already.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
If you aren't sure what dealer will say when you take it in for warranty work, get a spare wheel and tire and put it on before you go.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have not yet experienced a warranty issue or denial so I am speculating. It would depend largely on the dealer service manager and the area Honda rep that approves repairs. If you have a fair review maybe you're fine. But if you have a trailer hitch, non-original tire or extra wiring additions (lights or trailer harness) they could certainly find a way to deny a claim and you would have no countermeasure.

Keeping another wheel with a MC tire mounted and changing it before going to the dealer might be considered fraud and is something you should probably not write about on the WWW where it will live in perpetuity.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, commit insurance fraud.
The service manager outright said he would not submit the claim because of the car tire, and that was without even determining what the problem was. Basically, just the presence of the tire is sufficient for them to canc the ESP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts