GL1800Riders Forums banner

Have you ever had a tire blowout on your automobile or truck?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did but I was running motorcycle tires on my car to improve handling when turning sharply on two wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oh yes...two Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my 67 Shelby...one front and one rear on separate occasions. Both tires were shreaded by the time I stopped. :shock: It is a wonder I survived my teenage years with this car :!: Today tires last longer on my wing than on the Shelby back then. I also averaged 11,000 miles per engine.

Once on a Rambler that I was reposessing back in the 60s...no big deal on this one.

Never had a MC tire blow out in 30 years of riding and only one flat tire.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Two tire blowouts and probably 8 flats driving an automobile. I have driven in all 50 states and have been in sales/management for 25 years. I drive alot, 45K a year average.

I have riden a bike averaging 20K a year.No blowouts or flats EVER on the road.

I have not had the same luck on dirt bikes, maybe I should put a CT on them and slide all over the place vs proper knobbies( I use Dunlop D256R)On dirt bikes I have had probably 20 flats from riding over barb wire rocks, logs,or racing. But guess what, not one blow out on the dirt either. I think those who do experience multiple blowouts on bikes have poor tire care(wrong pressure, worn tires, wrong tires, driving over chunks of concrete, cactus,logs, or other items not designed for safe bike operation)

RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Now that I said NO I'll probably have two blowouts tomorrow and it will be your fault. :D :D :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Many years ago while working for Firestone tire, a company rep explained to me why tubeless tires are "almost incapable" of blowing out.When the tire is inflated the inner liner is in a relaxed state. In other words, it isn't stretched. Therefore, when it's punctured, it doesn't rip open, or blow out. If a demo is needed, take a balloon, put a piece of scotch tape on it before its inflated. Blow it up, stick a pin in the tape, the air will just slowly leak out. What happens with a car or bike tire is that the movement causes the tire to come apart. If you run over a nail and stop, the tire will just go flat.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have probably had over a dozen flat tires on all sorts of vehicles but I have never had a tire "blowout" on anything. I have however seen several blowouts on semis and one on a minivan. The semi blowouts are impressive to witness and gauranteed to scare the cr*p out of you.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have never had blow outs,...However, I have had plenty of blow-ups everytime some sleepy inattentive son-of-a-witch pulls in front of me and cuts me off...fortunately, my tires have remained inflated during the blow-ups...maybe I got runflats, I dont know!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the misfortune of having 3 of 4 Pirelli radils come completely apart at 75 mph on the PA Turnpike! The car was a '63 Chevy Impala hardtop. I never did get that stain off the front seat! Good thing the car was Brown on Brown.

I've also had two incidents where a steering tire blew out on my 18-wheeler at illegal speeds and with loads in excess of 80,000 lbs gross! If I'd had a nickel between my butt cheeks when either of these occured, I would have squeezed that buffalo so tight, he would have belched!!

DISCLAIMER: The fact that I willingly choose to put a car tire on my motorcycle shall, in no way, encumber anyone else, at any time, to follow my example. I do hereby save harmless all of the naysayers and finger pointers published on this bulletin board service from any liability, either real or imagined, as regards the matter of my choices, current and future, for what will or will not be installed on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Max... no offense there dude, but you really need to get off this car tire kick. Let the "darksiders" :roll: run what they want, it's their hide. Truth be known those that run car tires on their wings could also run forklift tires and they wouldn't know the difference, so let it go bro. Heck if your a straight line rider like 99.9% of these dudes a car tire may be the answer. :?

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it seems that roughly 60% of people who use car tires on a car have had blowouts.

This clearly means that they are improperly designed, and all auto owners should start putting 18-wheeler tires or 747 tires on their cars.

Funny with all of the uproar over how "bad" and "inadequate" darksiders say motorcycle tires are, even in the skewed poll there was only 13% of GL riders had ever had a blowout... and yet they are cursing the tire makers. In the more accurate poll, it was less than 6%.

6% MC tire failures on MCs compared to 60% CT failures on Cars...

Hmmmmm....

:wink:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have never once ever had a blowout with a water filled tractor tire. I wonder how they would perform on a car .... or a Wing. Should be good in snow and mud. Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It was a dark and stormy night...

No, really, it was - as I was driving my 74 Torino wagon across the San Mateo Bridge (in the San Francisco Bay Area.) I saw a glint of something in the left track, felt the thump of the front tire hitting whatever-it-was, heard a couple of other noises, then the car was all over the road. I got it slowed down just in time to pull into one of the provided turnouts. I found a long deep scratch/gouge in the rocker panel and the rear tire had a tear that started at the edge of the tread and ended with a deep nick in the edge of the rim.

I had to change my clothes when I got home... It was raining, remember?

·
Registered
584 Posts
tires

gpick said:
I have never once ever had a blowout with a water filled tractor tire. I wonder how they would perform on a car .... or a Wing. Should be good in snow and mud. Anyone tried it?

Wouldn't you have to run duallies for the muddy roads? Most of the farmers around here seem to do so on their JD's, etc. Must have something to do with flotation or something.
Besides, you could never get a Bushtec hitch on with those, so what's the point in even dicussing them? :shock:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
quote from the azbirdie
Max... no offense there dude, but you really need to get off this car tire kick. Let the "darksiders" run what they want, it's their hide. Truth be known those that run car tires on their wings could also run forklift tires and they wouldn't know the difference, so let it go bro. Heck if your a straight line rider like 99.9% of these dudes a car tire may be the answer
You remind me of some old, judgmental menopausal controlling old lady...You dont think Max take care of himself now and you are going to save him...just like you know that every darkside could not tell the difference between airplane tire and your phat-a$$

MAX,
I have welcomed everyone of you comments on anything...stay engaged...I think its great to have the polarity of view, particularly when it is from an expertise of you background...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts