GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an Orange TPMS/GPS combined unit with four sensors...two for my trailer and two for the Wing. I pulled the wheels off the trailer, pulled the valve stems, broke the bead and wiggled the sensors into the rim, tightened the stems up and re-aired the tires.....46 psi in both trailer tires showing on the back tires on the "CAR" picture on the GPS/TPMS screen.

Question is, can I do the same thing on the Wing...if so, I won't dismount the tires, just break the bead on the tires while they are on the bike and finish things up that way. I'm using 4 oz of dynabeads on both Wing tires so I think perhaps tire balance won't be hurt too much...Think I can get by without dismounting the tires?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Think I can get by without dismounting the tires?:shrug:
Going to be a pain , but I am sure it can be done. I changed a valve stem on side of road 3 years ago. 2 c clamps , 1pint if blood , and 2 cans of mountain dew. Oh RV air compressor from a great OHIO dude. He had the Dews for me :bow:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Breaking the bead..

Going to be a pain , but I am sure it can be done. I changed a valve stem on side of road 3 years ago. 2 c clamps , 1pint if blood , and 2 cans of mountain dew. Oh RV air compressor from a great OHIO dude. He had the Dews for me :bow:
I've got a couple large c-clamps. Once the bead is broken on one side, did you have to break it all the way around to clear the new stem? I'm installing the tpms sensors and they will be about an inch into the rim. Sure hope I have enough room to air the tire up once the are on! They are about 1 3/4 inches from rim to tip...I'd rather do it the hard way, with the rim on the bike, than take the CT off the back again...once to replace it I hope but no more. Its not that I am lazy (well a little,) its that it is going to be a "feels like" 105 here today.

Rail, I appreciate your response. I read a lot of your posts before I decided to be come DS 981. Between you and Kit I found all I needed to make what I consider to be a good decision. :thumbup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
GolDon -

Have you installed the Orange TPMS on the wing yet (without removing the tire). Could you tell us how the installation went?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts