GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current thread "Dark side and back. Did you see the light" got me wondering :???:.
Are there any first hand accounts from riders who experienced a sudden loss of air pressure from their car tire and what consequently happened? Post the stories here.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I doubt you'll find to many stories about this. I posted the same question on two forums and cruised and read countless others with not a single incident where the CT was the direct cause of an accident. This is almost like laying a loaded gun on the table and waiting for it to pull its own trigger. Good luck.

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
POST ON HERE AND LAST I CHECKED WERE UP TO 13 MILLION :surprise: MILES OF TROUBLE FREE ! :serious:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt you'll find to many stories about this. I posted the same question on two forums and cruised and read countless others with not a single incident where the CT was the direct cause of an accident. This is almost like laying a loaded gun on the table and waiting for it to pull its own trigger. Good luck.
I didn't ask for stories of incidents where a CT was the cause of an accident. I would like to know if anyone with a CT experienced a sudden loss of tire pressure and what happened next. I'd hope that there would be at least one or two stories where a run flat CT saved the day. My only reason for installing a CT on my bike was the alleged increased safety of a run flat, but without any evidence I really cannot justify that reasoning. Whereas I've only had time to ride between 10 to 15K miles each year, the tire tread life and cost are relatively insignificant.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
@jlbc212 I have had more than one rider tell me about getting a nail in a run flat car tire and they didn't know it was flat till they went into a turn and it didn't feel right. That is why I would not run one without a TPMS system. I think most people that run them will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
tire

@jlbc212 I have had more than one rider tell me about getting a nail in a run flat car tire and they didn't know it was flat till they went into a turn and it didn't feel right. That is why I would not run one without a TPMS system. I think most people that run them will tell you the same thing.
This has been my experience

·
Registered
8,760 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Friday afternoon, 4:30pm, Labor Day weekend 2012... I40 just west of Little Rock AR. 2up heavy loaded trailer, 80(+)mph passing an 18 wheeler, when I heard whoosh whoosh whoosh...

When my Driveguard RF had been installed on a new (to me) spare rim they had failed to change out the valve stem I had brought them, but I hadn’t noticed that i was still on the OEM rubber mounted valve stem. It failed. Completely. 0 air.

With the heavy air coming off the truck, I felt a bit of a wiggle. Kept the throttle steady and continued my pass. Pulled off on the next exit, about 2 miles later (did I mention 0 pressure?). Realized what had happened, got back on the bike and rode the bike at 65mph on up the interstate another 15 miles to a Loves Truck stop tire shop. Holiday weekend, 4:50pm, they informed me they were waiting til 5 so they could close the doors. They wouldn’t work on a motorcycle. I asked what would happen if I walked the tire into their shop before 5? Would they break the bead and replace the valve stem with a shorty rubber stem? They laughed and bet me that that was a hypothetical that wouldn’t happen, but if it did they’d do it if it was in their shop before 5pm when they closed. I unloaded my tools, threw the bike over on her side in the grass in front of their shop and popped the tire off, rolling it into their shop at 4:58.

At 5:15 the bike was back on its feet and the guys in the shop were standing and watching with their mouths open. No charge, weekend riding in the Ozark saved (it would have been Tuesday before anything would have happened if the tire had been a MT)

Rode that tire another 17k after that with no issues...

And that’s my story. Nothing but RF for me....

YMMV

:thumbup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Last month on the last day for a 4 day ride and around mid day coming across RT6 in PA which is a 2 lane back road thru small towns and farms I had the TPMS light up. I pulled over and found a 5/16 bolt in the rear (Yokohama Avid Envigor 195/55-16 non run flat) Pressure when I stopped was 20psi (I keep it at 40psi) At 20psi the tire was still solid enough that there was no wiggle or handling issues bringing it to a stop. I had probably ridden a mile from when the TPMS lit up to where I stopped so I feel it was a pretty fast drop in psi.
I have used both run flats and non run flat and this was the first flat in the 50,000miles of me using Car Tires.
I feel the TPMS did it's job warning me and I had many options to pull over safely. Had I been on a busy 6 or 8 lane highway with no place to stop I would probably rather had a run flat to get me to safety. I will probably go back to a run flat again when this one needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I didn't ask for stories of incidents where a CT was the cause of an accident. I would like to know if anyone with a CT experienced a sudden loss of tire pressure and what happened next. I'd hope that there would be at least one or two stories where a run flat CT saved the day. My only reason for installing a CT on my bike was the alleged increased safety of a run flat, but without any evidence I really cannot justify that reasoning. Whereas I've only had time to ride between 10 to 15K miles each year, the tire tread life and cost are relatively insignificant.
Sorry, I replied based on your title, "Car tire failure stories". At least for the Run Flats, you won't find an instance of the tire "failing". The tire picking up a nail and loosing air, sure, but that's not a failure of the tire. Stories of those tires saving the day and getting folks to safety, I'm sure there are plenty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had a instant loss of pressure while on a trip in June. We were on a two-lane when I felt a little "shimmy" and heard something clunk against the rear fender liner. I went a little further, and felt the shimmy again. The shimmy was nothing terribly noticeable, just a little wiggle, but I could tell it was not normal. Total distance was probably three or four miles from the first shimmy until we stopped at a gas station.

By that time I stopped, the tire, a Bridgestone Driveguard, was completely down to the rim. The tire would not air up, and when I rotated the tire, I noticed a hole nearly big enough to put the tip of my pinky in to. I had to use three sticky ropes to get it to hold air, but it still leaked a bit. I went to a tire shop for a better repair (a couple of miles down the road) and replaced the tire later on in the trip.

When the first shimmy happened, we were at about 70MPH, and I slowed down to about 50MPH until I could figure out what was happening. With a hole that big at 70MPH, and the instant air loss on a regular MC tire, I am sure we would have gone down or it would have been tough to keep it from going down. Instead, it was a couple sticky ropes, and back on the road.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
These kind of stories are the reason for me making a post in another thread that claimed the RF CT is KING when it comes to safety!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

My story while not as dramatic as those above ... Out riding on New Years day trying to get home before dark. To make that happen I decided to run down highway 65 through Greenbrier, Arkansas to I-40 and take that home. It had begun to get hard to see the road real well so I have no idea what I hit, but going through one of those intersections just before Conway at about 45mph I hit something pretty hard. I stopped just before I-40 to look things over, but did not see anything, but like I said it was getting dark, and my TPMS had not gone off. So I hit the entrance ramp for home. Got up to 75mph and the TPMS light lit up. I had 26 pounds in the tire at that time and it was dropping at a steady rate. The next exit was only a mile, so I got off and went back into Conway to find a service station. By the time I got stopped the pressure was down to the mid teens. I found the hole, plugged it and rode home.

This happened while I was trying my first Pirelli SnowControl. I finished wearing it out that Spring and put on a new one!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sorry, I replied based on your title, "Car tire failure stories". At least for the Run Flats, you won't find an instance of the tire "failing". The tire picking up a nail and loosing air, sure, but that's not a failure of the tire. Stories of those tires saving the day and getting folks to safety, I'm sure there are plenty.
You are right - I could have titled this thread better :frown2:, but thanks to all those who contributed with car tire success stories!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
There was somebody that commented on a post about he had a car tire and was coming around a corner and the tire came off the rim if I remember the story correctly? Said he would never again endanger his wife or himself again with a car tire. Was in a dark side question/thread.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Most of us have heard that story... no one that I know of has a name, a copy of the post, a location or a picture... until then, it’s only a fairy tale.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a valve stem failure on my way to wing ding this year. I was on I-65N at the TN AL state line when my TPMS let me know I was loosing pressure fast. I figure this will be a good test of the new Bridgestone RF. Not much around this area, so I head back to the nearest bike shop, about 30 miles away, as it's about 8:30 am and I know by the time I get there they will be open. I was riding solo and could hardly tell it was flat, only a little in the corners. Bike shop said they wouldn't patch a car tire but since it was just a valve stem they would replace it. 30 minutes later I was back on the road. Love the RF :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put this on in it's own thread but it seems to apply here as well. Riding in Sept. in strong side winds with gusts in Montana. My friend wanted to try my 2018 goldwing while I rode his BMW k1600GTL.
On a curve he had a flat at 75mph after running over something. He was able to maintain control and in fact carried on for a couple miles because he thought it was just the wind gusts. What ever it was it put a large hole in the tire and broke the back fender.

Had that been a bike tire it would have been catastrophic. I had to get it repaired as I could not get another tire and drove home 360 miles without incident.
Bridgestone Drivegaurd, does what it's meant to do. Saved him from serious injury or death.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts