GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have about 175,000 miles on RFs on my 07. I was riding with a friend whose 06 GW had a RF tire. He mentioned that the bike had been handling funny for a few days, but he wasn't too concerned. The bike developed a bad wobble and he was able to get off the road safely.

The KUMHO RF sidewall was shredded badly. He estimated that he had run it flat at high speeds for 250 miles or so.

The moral of this story is that a RF won't hold together indefinitely and check tire pressure or install TPMS.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Over 13 million trouble free miles

POST ON HERE AND LAST I CHECKED WERE UP TO 13 MILLION :surprise: MILES OF TROUBLE FREE ! :serious:
UNCLEJOHN, I see you suggested "post on here" but didn't see a link. Here we go:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/233382-how-many-miles-car-tires-18.html (Please, everyone that hasn't, post your miles here)

I too had a stock rubber valve stem failure years ago running a Conti Vanco II, not a run flat but incredibly hard sidewall. Same experience, a funny wiggle but able to make it back 15 miles at 25 MPH to get another valve stem installed.

The only other "failure" I've ever heard about was the guy that ran a long distance with a flat and didn't know it until the tire failed from overheating. TPM's are a must with run flats

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
The current thread "Dark side and back. Did you see the light" got me wondering :???:.
Are there any first hand accounts from riders who experienced a sudden loss of air pressure from their car tire and what consequently happened? Post the stories here.
Yes i had a blow out and air went down to zero. Pulled over to a service station and saw a huge object had tore into the middle of the tire tread. I went about 20 miles to my house running totally flat on my runflat and made it home safely. Very nice turn of events.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
The current thread "Dark side and back. Did you see the light" got me wondering :???:.

Are there any first hand accounts from riders who experienced a sudden loss of air pressure from their car tire and what consequently happened? Post the stories here.
No personal stories here, I keep my tires up and have been very fortunate not to have ever had a tire related problem CT or MT. However I have been on a couple of rides were riders have had rapid air lost due to road hazards. These were not blowouts, and were on MTs. But they were able to keep their motorcycles under control and come to a stop, both were on the rear of the bike.

Out of many years of riding and much of it in groups, these has been the only occasions I've witnessed and neither was the failure of the tire. Tire failure truly is a rare event and mostly preventable. This gives me great comfort since the RF solution only addresses one half of the motorcycle, and from what I hear ..the front tire failure is worse than the rear when it comes to control of the motorcycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
No personal stories here, I keep my tires up and have been very fortunate not to have ever had a tire related problem CT or MT. However I have been on a couple of rides were riders have had rapid air lost due to road hazards. These were not blowouts, and were on MTs. But they were able to keep their motorcycles under control and come to a stop, both were on the rear of the bike.

Out of many years of riding and much of it in groups, these has been the only occasions I've witnessed and neither was the failure of the tire. Tire failure truly is a rare event and mostly preventable. This gives me great comfort since the RF solution only addresses one half of the motorcycle, and from what I hear ..the front tire failure is worse than the rear when it comes to control of the motorcycle.

as I understand it front tire flats are much more rare because it flips, the whatever, up into the rear tire. So in my opinion the runflat solution addresses way more than one half of the risk, but I think you already know that.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
as I understand it front tire flats are much more rare because it flips, the whatever, up into the rear tire. So in my opinion the runflat solution addresses way more than one half of the risk, but I think you already know that.
Honestly I did not know that, interesting and plausible theory though. What effect would traffic you're following or other riders riding in a group have on possibly flipping hazards up into position to be a danger to your front tire? I've seen some interesting things in tires, my son had the tire on his car ripped open by a chrome lug nut cover, a knife could not have done a better job.

My point was that motorcycle tire failures is pretty rare, it falls in that 3% of all equipment failures that include everything from a broken side stand spring that allows your bike to be flipped in a curve to a locked engine that causes your bike to go into a skid. I really dont know the percentage of the 3% is tire failures or how many of those is front or rear, I'm just saying which ever one it is extremely rare, so just how much are we increasing our safety when the risk is so low, and 50% of the bike still has a MT.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts