GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just came up from Fla. with a new (to him) 1200 GWing. I showed him my new rear tire - ContiPro - and he wondered if he could run a CT on his 1200? Does anyone know and if so, what brand and size would fit? Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had researched this about a month ago, as well as what I had heard in the past:

The 15" rim on the 1200 is not the same size as the auto 15" rim. It is possible to mount a car tire on that rim, but without modification, it can take insane pressures to seat. The 1200 rim has a safety ridge that needs to be machined off, as well as changing the profile of the rest of the bead. I heard there was some guy who had a portable device that he could use to machine the rim on the bike using the motor to turn the wheel.

There is another company out there ( found it somewhere on the COG forum ) that can take your wheel and mount a new rim on it, any width you desire. $400+

Having put 250k miles on the 1200, I don't see the need for a C/T on that bike. The tires last 14 to 16k, aren't horibly expensive, and work well. I have the C/T on the 1800, but wouldn't consider it for the 1200.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had researched this about a month ago, as well as what I had heard in the past:

The 15" rim on the 1200 is not the same size as the auto 15" rim. It is possible to mount a car tire on that rim, but without modification, it can take insane pressures to seat. The 1200 rim has a safety ridge that needs to be machined off, as well as changing the profile of the rest of the bead. I heard there was some guy who had a portable device that he could use to machine the rim on the bike using the motor to turn the wheel.

There is another company out there ( found it somewhere on the COG forum ) that can take your wheel and mount a new rim on it, any width you desire. $400+

Having put 250k miles on the 1200, I don't see the need for a C/T on that bike. The tires last 14 to 16k, aren't horibly expensive, and work well. I have the C/T on the 1800, but wouldn't consider it for the 1200.

THANKS !! I'll pass this info on to my southern friend. :yes1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts