GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Are you in favor of a forum for car tire posts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic is getting a lot of play... too much? This isn't about "for" or "against". Just a place to separate these discussions. I doubt if the moderators want another forum to supervise but maybe we'll see from this poll. Frankly, I'm getting tired of all the argument from both sides. And, yes, I don't read them anymore but it would be nice not to see them either.

·
Registered
598 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
:yes1: Sounds good to me. Ridiculous how many car tire / dark side arguments are on here all the time with nothing resolved :banghead:
Actually, among those who have made the effort to experiment with the car tire, much has been resolved, and a great deal of information - both pro and con - has been exchanged. Again - among those who have tried it - there is none of the bickering over which brand is best or how often you should change your tire, as there generally is in the never-ending oil threads.
The only dissonance comes from people with no factual knowledge posting to the threads, repeating the same baseless opinions that have already been posted ad nauseum.
If those who don't want to mount car tires on their bikes just ignored the threads and left them alone, these threads would probably be discovered to be some of the most amicable threads in forumdom.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
From a liability standpoint it's not in Hal's best interest to endorse darkside endeavors in the slightest; establishing a separate forum tab would be seen as an endorsement by a major opinion-leader of a practice that is universally panned by the entire family of m/c professionals.
Don't delude yourselves; there will eventually be litigation regarding cross-over tire fitment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
forum about car tires

I hope I answered the correct question. I don't think we need a separate forum about car tires, so I cast a vote of NO. But I do enjoy looking at technical posts about them periodically. I just skim over opinions often found there...

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
If you visit the VTX forum, they're also taking about car tires on the VTX! must be contagious! I like the variety of posts! If you don't like a topic, don't read it! And oh how I miss our old Hijack post...alas...it is nevermore...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would like to see a seperate forum if I could also customize the "View posts since last visit" link. That way I could select only the General and Tech forums and then when I wanted to see posts in other forums I could look specifically in that forum.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
KA7W said:
Arn Butt,
I don't know how many m/c tires you have had blow out on you, but to me is is very scary stuff !!
Three times, Tommy; all were the correct tire. Got squirrelly but I never crashed from a blow-out.
All 3 were Dunnies too. Two on the Concours and one on the GL1500.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
KA7W said:
Arn Butt,
I don't know how many m/c tires you have had blow out on you, but to me is is very scary stuff !!
Three times, Tommy; all were the correct tire. Got squirrelly but I never crashed from a blow-out.
All 3 were Dunnies too. Two on the Concours and one on the GL1500.
Lost all the air rapidly due to a valve stem failure. Rode at 75 for a mile thinking the road had some waves in it. Slowed down to 65 for several miles until I came to an offramp. The bike was actually harder to handle at 15 than at 65. It really needed a strong counter steer.

I use run-flats.

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
Bumping this old thread to the top with the discussion of hostility towards darkside (ers) in mind. 9 years ago, same discussion's. Very few changed the way they feel, only that if they feel strongly about their point of view, then their true character shows. Like the other poster said, it is just a tire. Bring what you run, run what you bring. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Bumping this old thread to the top with the discussion of hostility towards darkside (ers) in mind. 9 years ago, same discussion's. Very few changed the way they feel, only that if they feel strongly about their point of view, then their true character shows. Like the other poster said, it is just a tire. Bring what you run, run what you bring. :thumbup:
WOW, This is a blast from the past. :lol::lol:

I think a lot of the nay sayers from back then are riding on a CT today

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
WOW, This is a blast from the past. :lol::lol:

I think a lot of the nay sayers from back then are riding on a CT today
That was my thought as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts