GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the miles you get from any tire relates to your riding habits. But is there anyone car tire that always seems to be getting more miles/life than the others regardless of riding habits?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Can't answer your question but I have the Michelin and 5K miles on it so far and it looks like it is new.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I think it's the Goodyear triple tread that holds the record!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
just took a 205/60 Triple tread off (not to the wear bars yet)two weeks ago with 41.5k miles. I am NOT easy on tires... my last BS front lasted 6500 miles, my last rear MC tire (also a BS)went 8k. I rode the TT harder than the MC, just because I could!

I didn't put on another, as I just wanted to try another tire. BIG mistake. I am shopping for another TT.

It's downside (for me) is it doesn't like uneven pavement and will follow imperfections worse than some of the other tires I have ridden. Obviously a concern, but I AM looking for another... you decide for you.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Now that you are use to the tire..LOWER the pressure to 30#...
Anytime you wear the center out before the rest of the tire
it's from too much air... (car or MC) :roll:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Whatever CT you choose, plan on 25-75% more miles.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should have said how many miles on a run flat car tire.
I want the safety feature because of a very bad blow out a few year ago.

I currently have 20,000 plus miles on my conti and it is very near the wear bars and time to replace it.

I want another runflat that will get me another 20k miles. I am not a hard rider and do enjoy the twisties but maybe not as hard as some of you.

Kind regards,

Dale

·
Registered
252 Posts
Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55/16 RF

Dale, I have 8K on my run flat with no real signs of wear. Put it on in the spring of 2010 and still has 90% or more.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Personally I am at 20% more these days basing it on, older bike with stock suspension. New to me 08 has never had more than a few hundred miles on those round things for rear tires.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I have the Kumho Run Flat and have about 8 thousand on it. I have been to D.C. and back and a week trip here in Texas and the sides look great. I will try and do a thread on it after i get more miles. My plan is to find out what kind of mileage i get with riding long distances and my every day driving along with some twisties. After that i can determine what I will do next. I might put a mc tire back on my spare rim and put that own for around town and twisties and put the ct back on for long distances and trips to Honda for warranty work. Another thought is i put nitrogen in both tires before my long D.C. trip and up until today i have put about 5 thousand miles since last of April. I checked my front tire and lost about 4 lbs of air. Back ct lost nothing so far haven't had to add. I believe the ct loss of air is far less than mt. I even have it in my truck and its stayed the same over the last 4 months. I don't think i would wast my time putting nitrogen in mc tires.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
For the last three Kumhos that I have run on my 06, I have averaged 25k for each tire. The present tire now is closing in on 25k and is closing in on the wear bars quickly. I kept them at 28 -30psi cold and have a TPMS keep check on the pressures.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I guess I should have said how many miles on a run flat car tire.
I want the safety feature because of a very bad blow out a few year ago.

I currently have 20,000 plus miles on my conti and it is very near the wear bars and time to replace it.

I want another runflat that will get me another 20k miles. I am not a hard rider and do enjoy the twisties but maybe not as hard as some of you.

Kind regards,

Dale
Broke off a junk OEM valve stem on my TT in Arkansas, 2 up pulling a trailer and got a little wobble out of it. Rode it to the side of the road, checked the air and had less than 10# rode it five miles to the nearest truck stop. All NRF are not created equal. Go to a tire store and check the flexability of various sidewalls. You will see the TT has nearly as much strength as a RF. It also has a rim protector "ridge". Best of both worlds.

Just my personal opinion...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Good info Revrunt
Love my TT!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts