GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about car tires on the rear of the bikes....has anyone tried a car tire on the front of their trike? I know the EURO trike uses a car tire on front of their trikes....if it would work, should last forever :D

I'm not sure what size EURO uses, I know they also change the front end to a leading link front end.....

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
KY,
I have also looked into the car tire for the front but have had 0 luck so far. I wished that I had an Idea of what size they are!!! I have seen photos of them on the Euro Trikes also and there is SOME SERIOUS TREAD on them, and Flat surfaced. If you find something before our Michelin's ware out let me know.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do, I've seen a EURO in person and that's one big tire....I'm not sure if the change the wheel or not.

I'll do some checking..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes they do change the front wheel, it is, I think, a145/70 14 or something similar and you can't put any car tyre on the standard front wheel of a gold wing, they just don't make that size. For confirmation just have a look at the ETRTO book which lists all the tyres, for all applications, for all vehicles in Europe. Don't think you'll find it any different in the USA.

I had a 165/70 x 14 on the front of my EZS/ST1100 outfit and only had to change it, after 45,000 miles, because it had gone hard. They also stick like whatsit to a blanket.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they might have a different wheel, bummer.

Oh well, I just ordered a MICH Activ for mine away....

·
Registered
73 Posts
On MY CLASSIC CAR last night Coker tire rep said they had new tires for old bikes. I wonder if some old style tires might have sort of a flat tread design that would work on the front.

G

·
Car tires are NOT designed for motorcycles (or trike front wheels) and motorcycle tires are NOT designed for cars.

Nuff said.

Ride safe.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kyblue,

Have you already worn that tire out, you just got that Wing a few months ago?
Naw, not yet, but I am changing to a Michellin Pilot Activ rear tire, mounted in reverse.

Reportly runs better, handles better and last for around 20,000 miles.

We'll see..... :D

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
KYBLUE said:
I thought they might have a different wheel, bummer.

Oh well, I just ordered a MICH Activ for mine away....
Had one on my 1500 Trike and did not like it for the simple reason that I could feel the tread pattern vibrating in my hands. Rode another persons trike that had the Activ and did not get the same feeling. Although I did get 22K out of the tire.

Hopefully you won't get one that you can feel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
tire

Could you post a pic of the new mounted tire as soon as you get this done. I don't recall seeing this in the past.

Thanks, Stan

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my Michellin Pilot in today, now if I break down and buy my chrome wheel I'll have it mounted..... :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
tire

Would anyone be interested in posting a pic of there Michellin Pilot Activ mounted on there trike. A close up would be nice if possible.

Thanks, Stan

·
Registered
113 Posts
tire pic

Thanks for the pic. I now realize that this is a motorcycle tire and not a car tire. I ordered one today. Thanks so much.

Stan

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does anyone have a web site for the EURO front end? Google has nothing listed as such.

G

·
IBTrike said:
Car tires are NOT designed for motorcycles (or trike front wheels) and motorcycle tires are NOT designed for cars.
Nuff said.
Ride safe.
EuroTrike would disagree.....
Nuthin said...
Ride safe

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a dealer for Eurowing trike conversions. First of all I am not an engineer but this leading link design EML uses on their Trikes and sidecar conversions has been around for a long time and has proven itself to work very well. The front end was designed to use a car tire from the very beginning. They use their own rim designed for a car tire to be used in this application. *They do not use a motorcycle rim with a car tire monted on it.* This rim from EML will only work with their front fork assemblies. You cannot use this rim on the OEM motorcycle front fork assemblies. The front fork and tire combination works very well on a trike conversion. We use a Michelin tire and estimate approximately 60,000 miles of use from the front tire before needing to change tires. We will be at Wing Ding again this year for anyone that would like to see or test ride a bike in person.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
slug said:
I am a dealer for Eurowing trike conversions. First of all I am not an engineer but this leading link design EML uses on their Trikes and sidecar conversions has been around for a long time and has proven itself to work very well. The front end was designed to use a car tire from the very beginning. They use their own rim designed for a car tire to be used in this application. *They do not use a motorcycle rim with a car tire monted on it.* This rim from EML will only work with their front fork assemblies. You cannot use this rim on the OEM motorcycle front fork assemblies. The front fork and tire combination works very well on a trike conversion. We use a Michelin tire and estimate approximately 60,000 miles of use from the front tire before needing to change tires. We will be at Wing Ding again this year for anyone that would like to see or test ride a bike in person.
Thank you Slug, a non BS, short and to the point reply. If their quality matches your straight forward response, then it is a trike I would like to try.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts