GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Has anyone ever used a car tire on rear of an 1800 for better mileage?
illegal in 50 states
you can't even talk about on this forum

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yes! All the cool and SMART guys are doing it, only way to ride!

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,924 Posts
25% of the active membership of this fourm uses them:thumbup:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Troll alert.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I do not use a car tire for better GAS mileage; and I seriously doubt that anyone on here that uses a car tire does so for better gas mileage. Now a lot of us do see increased MILES PER REAR TIRE, but that is NOT the main reason to use a car tire; that is just an added benefit that many of us see.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Generally speaking all motorcycle manufactures, tire manufactures, motorcycle shops, motorcycle magazines, all states & most motorcycle riders are 100% against the use of care tires for motorcycle use.

However, there is a small group of riders that are passionate regarding the use and benefits.

I would never use a CT. Seems to be a dangerous choice that needs not to be made. There are many reports from tire engineers that show that the use is dangerous.
Produce one. You are in the DS forum now. So if you want to talk chit, back it up.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Guess that I will not be changing the minds of all you Darksiders!

I guess that Honda and all of the other manufactures including HD are going to offer 2012 models the option of a car tire because they are so much better. Also the car tire vs motorcycle tire display at this years wing ding has been burned. As it should be. More of the same misleading information you are pushing

All state laws banning the use of Ct's on a motorcycle have been reversed
, you can Have a car tire installed at any Honda dealer. Since you are once again promulgating falsehoods, why don't you produce a state code specifying the legality of using CTs on a motorcycle?

By the way all of what was said above is a lie. It appears everything you write is a lie. The bigger the lie the easier people will believe. Quote PT Barum
You and PT have a nice evening.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Generally speaking all motorcycle manufactures, tire manufactures, motorcycle shops, motorcycle magazines, all states & most motorcycle riders are 100% against the use of care tires for motorcycle use.

Wow. "All" seems like a lot, like... all.
I'm not sure how "all" can be spoken of "generally".

I think what is meant by this statement is "The Establishment", or those who think that their opinion is the only one that matters.
They are sure that "science" is behind their opinions. But it's their science -- and their opinions are not based upon "the scientific method". Some of us remember this from grade school: observation -> hypothesis -> experiment/testing -> observation -> revised hypothesis -> further experiments/testing -> etc.

The same could be said of "The Establishment" when Galileo suggested that the earth wasn't the center of the Universe. They didn't want to be bothered with his observations and testing. He was wrong.

However, there is a small group of riders that are passionate regarding the use and benefits.

Ah, sounds like a couple of freaks who don't care about danger.
Or, maybe, some people who have made observations, developed an hypothesis, tested, and... got results that didn't match the predictions of "the Establishment"? And they shared their results with others who also tested and got "unexpected" results.

I would never use a CT.

That's okay. If you are pleased with your tire choice, there's no need for you to move out of your comfort zone.

Seems to be a dangerous choice that needs not to be made.

Again, it's okay if you think that way. It's your opinion, an opinion that you think is based on sound tradition.

There are many reports from tire engineers that show that the use is dangerous.
Okay, now I'm going to ask to see the evidence of their tests/experiments.
I can respect the credentials of scientists, but I don't have to accept their opinions when those those opinions are not based in science. Show me the results of their tests!

Just because the Pope, the Church, and everyone "everyone else" said that Galileo was wrong, he wasn't.

The earth isn't flat, no matter how many magazines report that it is.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have never heard of a state making a law against using a CT on a motorcycle. Just not enough people do it to hit the radar. All of them probably say on road use vehicles have to have a DOT approved tire. I'll play along with that, and most others will too. The DOT mandates build quality and many other things. I have never seen where they mandate what goes on what.

I'll keep my BMT until someone builds a tire that can hold up to a Wing. Too many wrecked tires by others and myself to make me think otherwise.

Oh yea, foks here were helpful, encouraging, and supplied a lot of info for me to take or leave, but I got the idea from a group around a local shop that used them first. There are plenty out there that don't play here that use them.

JMHO

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
ducbob: what you are using is the DANGEROUS TYPE OF TIRE!
Please read through the darksider forum for information. Too many people have used car tires for so many miles that IF they were dangerous, SOMETHING would have shown up by now! But there is nothing. However, motorcycle tires on the rear of wings have problems arise on an almost daily basis.
READ AND GATHER INFO FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN DOING IT! Not from people who theorize and talk about it. If I did not think(know) my tire was safe, it would not be on MY BIKE! I plan to die of OLD age--not by some POS tire killing me!

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I would never use a CT. Seems to be a dangerous choice that needs not to be made. There are many reports from tire engineers that show that the use is dangerous.
Never is a long time .a few here have said that same statement and now have a Darkside number . As far as your statement of many reports ,,,,,,, your mistaken .....point blank buddy !! Now if you are talking motorcycle magazine writers yes there are many that will loose advertisement dollars if they even think that a car tire is the way to go .We here know the truth and there is a rider from every state that will offer to follow them and see for yourself. a few will also give you a tire to use on your bike to see first hand . I need ice cream now and I need both hands to type see ya :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
:wrong::popcorn::eek:4::popcorn:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Has anyone ever used a car tire on rear of an 1800 for better mileage?
If you are thinkiing about it, you better hurry. I hear they are going to only allow 1500 people to do it! There are already 1063 documented.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
RUN!!! Forest, RUN!!!:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts