GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a new thread on the tire size for the wing. I rode with a guy that had installed a 215 z rated car tire on his Valkyrie the other day. He told me that I could do the same with the wing. Have any of you guys heard of this being done. I rode his bike. It was rock solid straight away. When I came to a stop the bike just about stood up by itself. Cornering was a strange feeling. This is where the most change occurs. I leaned into turns and felt the tire finally break over the edge of the tire. Once over, it cornered ok. I did not do any corners at speed so I cant speak for that.
It was a bit odd feeling all around. I was told that this set up would get hugh mileage out of the tire. I could see mabe doing this if I was going to be on Interstate travel for hundreds of miles with no twisties. It also took much of the road hunting out. I have a spare rim to try it with . Any body have experience in this area?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Why would you want to ruin the handling on one of the best bikes out there? I ride a bike because it does lean in the turns.

Boss Hoss runs a car tire on the rear.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm thinking there are only a few tires for the 1800 on the market for a reason... they need to be right. Especially with ABS bikes.

Sounds pretty risky to me... and not to bring up the insurance angle again, but I'm thinking if you had an accident with a car tire on a bike, and an insurace company found out, you could kiss any kind of claim goodbye. I'd think the same would apply to any warrenty work. I know the warrenty l laws are pretty sensitive to adding aftermarket stuff and put the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove the aftermartket item would void warrenty covereage, but I'd say it wouldn't be a difficult thing in this case.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I run a 195/50R16 on ours with the Hack on it and some run 205/50R16's. A 205/55R16 may fit too but you need to look at the actual inflated diameter and width of the tire on the 5" rim to see if any specific tire will work.

One word of caution is Fender Clearance under the seat. If you don't have adequate Pre-Load and run too large a tire the side's may dig into your fender on bumps and right above that is a bunch of wireing. Then too there is the Frame breaking thing. If yours is one that the cross member seperates on and there is a Auto tire on it it will do major damage to all the goodies under the seat for sure. That isn't a likely thing to happen but if it did I'm sure Honda wouldn't pay for the damage that they could cite the tire for.

I don't think using the Auto tire at speed in the corners is a good idea due to the odd contact patch that changes too rapidly on the edge of the tire. However we have ridden ours without the Hack on the bike and the Auto tire makes for a comfortable ride.

Look at the BossHoss bikes in your area to see what they run. Most I have seen came from the factory with Auto tires on the rear but none are pushed hard in the corners for good reason, too much power & too unpredictable.

All that said we still run a Auto tire on our bike along with many others who have Sidecars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Try New Things

I am the kind of person that likes to try out different and new things. Years ago I was the first in the southern US to daisy chain several hard drives together. I had talked to several companies in Houston and no one could tell me how to do it. That was when 200 meg hard drives were $700.00 each. I had to get someone to go all the way to Taiwan to get the information to be able to do it.
I like to try new restaurants and new automobiles. I guess I just want to see if it can be done and what the results would be. I probably wont drive with the auto tire on for long. But I can say I did it.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I forgot to mention that some of the newer tire machines at the Auto Tire Stores can mount the tire for you while the older ones can't get the wheel over the center spindle type. The whole in the Honda wheel is just too small for those old "standard" machines.

If you can balance your own and find a Tire Dealer with the rim gripper type mounting machine some will mount it free when you buy the tire from them.

Jerry

·
Registered
891 Posts
Car Tire with 42000 miles of use.

I had Two Valkyries,and ran Car Tires on them 205 55 16 Z,that 215 will rub with two up,I can't for the life of me see why people who ran car tires,Lamont being one of them used a 205,without any problems,then people started using bigger.Then had to shave the shaft to stop the rubbing. Well I thought it was the best thing since zipper wallets.Straight it was awesome,I got so use to it I could turn it just as good as a bike tire.Stopping was better,wet or dry.The only thing I found a draw back was the High speed wobble above 120,I know you don't run 120 for long ,ane some think you are nuts to even try. Just reporting.It sucked in the grass or uneven roads,it would through you left or right depinding on the rut.Finally the tire was rated for 60K,I could spin it in 3rd gear wet surface at 40,and then 105 mph was a severe wobble. So I think it was shot at 40K,because it was not intended to be used on a bike.Then I had the most trouble when I went to trade it in,no dealer would take it with a car tire,for Lliabity.The car tire is not Cheaper than a MC tire,It must be Z rated .Take it from a been their done that ,stick with a MC tire.

·
Registered
227 Posts
First I thought this thread was a joke.

Then, when I realized these guys were serious, I thought "Great, this'll help cull the herd."

Then I remembered we share the public roads with these guys. When they take themselves out of the gene pool they just might take one of us with them. Now I'm scared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts