GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
7,000 miles and liking it more all the time...

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Why do folks who don't want to put a car tire on a motorcycle try to convince everyone else not to? I wonder if it's because they don't have the confidence in their riding skills that others do?

There are lots of folks who have them on bikes with no ill effects. There are more important things in life to fret over than this issue. lol

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The bike was not going very fast, as you watch the video, you see white (what looks like paper) objects on the road. You can count 1 second before the white moves out of the picture. At ten MPH, the bike would move 14 feet in one second, at 60 MPH, it would travel 88 feet. In one second, do you think you saw the paper for 88 feet? Thje bike was going less then 10 MPH in the video.

Do the math, I may have made an error, but I do not think so.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Wanderer said:
Why do folks who don't want to put a car tire on a motorcycle try to convince everyone else not to?
Riding skills have nothing to do with it. Try a different perspective - Why do some folks who do use a car tire try to convince everyone else to try it. I won't even speculate.

Stu

·
Registered
582 Posts
Danl said:
The bike was not going very fast, as you watch the video, you see white (what looks like paper) objects on the road. You can count 1 second before the white moves out of the picture. At ten MPH, the bike would move 14 feet in one second, at 60 MPH, it would travel 88 feet. In one second, do you think you saw the paper for 88 feet? Thje bike was going less then 10 MPH in the video.

Do the math, I may have made an error, but I do not think so.
You are correct. I was using a Canon Powershot A70, and it was hanging upside down from the center stand, very close to the pavement. I did not want to destroy the camera, so I went to a Church parking lot just to get an idea of how much tread is on the road in a sharp turn, scraping the pegs. Tire pressure - 40 psi, preload - 15.

I did it for my own curiousity and I'm satisfied with what I saw.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Stu_O said:
Wanderer said:
Why do folks who don't want to put a car tire on a motorcycle try to convince everyone else not to?
Riding skills have nothing to do with it. Try a different perspective - Why do some folks who do use a car tire try to convince everyone else to try it. I won't even speculate.

Stu
NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE ANYONE TO TRY A CT... And surely not the ones that have done everthing and know everything. The video was for information only.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Seemed like as much. if not more, rubber on the road than with a MC tire.

My question is, what was the handling like when you go into a corner, do you have to push harder to get off the flat part of the tire and onto the edge? When my E3's get a squared off in the middle I can feel it when going into a corner as it goes onto the side.

·
Registered
582 Posts
twyn said:
Seemed like as much. if not more, rubber on the road than with a MC tire.

My question is, what was the handling like when you go into a corner, do you have to push harder to get off the flat part of the tire and onto the edge? When my E3's get a squared off in the middle I can feel it when going into a corner as it goes onto the side.
Yes, it takes more counter-steer, something I've got use to.

I wish just one of the naysayers would convince me that a MC tire has more rubber on the road in a turn. I challenge anyone to make a video with a MC tire on a Wing and prove to me that it is the best...

·
Registered
973 Posts
twyn - The car tire has much more flexible sidewalls than the motorcycle tire and you really do not feel it "get off the flat". I know you can feel the transiton on and off the flat worn on a motorcvycle tire but the car tire has no such sensation. It is one of the surprising things about it.

To Stu - Perhaps it is just human nature to disagree with something different. As a group we tend to want everyone to be the same. Look what happens when one is the only Honda in a group of Harleys or visa versa. "Oh, you don't want to ride that" they may say. "You should ride what I'm riding." You know, if you introduce a lame chicken into a flock the other chickens will peck it to death because it is different. People are much the same. One person tries something different and finds he likes it so the guy across the street sees him doing something different and says,"Hey, you don't want to do that, its too different!" Next thing you know the neighbors want you out of their neighborhood because your not like them. If you want to ride with a car tire on your bike, I say go ahead. If you want to ride without a helmet or sans riding gear and wear flip flops, you accept the risk. If you don't feel like doing those things then don't. You want to wear stripes with plaid, go for it. I don't think it is your business or mine what someone else does as long as it dosen't affect anyone else. People are free to be as stupid, or as clever, as they want in this country. It amazes me how upset some people can get when they disagree with what someone else is doing or when someone simply disagrees with them. I wouldn't wear stripes with plaid but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
First of all, excellent video!! Straight line there's a fantastic amount of rubber on the road!!! What is the published max tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire in question that you are running 40psi in??

I'm sure that all car tire manufacturers design thier tires to run on the edges of the treads flexing the sidewalls while inflated to high pressures on a rim designed for a motorcycle tire. Continuous stresses like that on the treads belts can and eventually will result in shift and a potential for a catastrophic failure.. Add to this that manufacturing tolorances can adversly affect the performance of ANY tire for it's DESIGNED PURPOSE..

I would be curious to ride a Wing with a car tire, but would not be willing to take the risk for myself or my family by mounting one on my bike.. From my point of view, motorcycle tires aren't so expensive that there would be any real value..

It's all about risk.. If you're willing to gamble, go right ahead, it's your game.. Some carve twisties at high speeds (guilty), some smoke or talk on the phone while riding, some even run on bald tires to get every $$ out of thier investment.. My point is there is a large risk associated with these activities and the darksiders refuse to acknowlege that running a car tire on a motorcycle comes with some additional risks.. This is why the doubters respond as they do.. Why is that hard to understand??? If you honestly believe running a car tire is without any additional risks, then you are delusional.. Either way, enjoy the ride..

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
goldwingnut said:
I wish just one of the naysayers would convince me that a MC tire has more rubber on the road in a turn. I challenge anyone to make a video with a MC tire on a Wing and prove to me that it is the best...
I would say that there is MUCH more rubber on the road with the car tire in ALL conditions!! Good for dry, what about wet??

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Done 4000 miles on my Dun Wintersport CT and can not say enough about it. Zero slippage in sand and gravel. Of course I'd be a fool to try summer riding in winter conditions. However, the winter tread gives a renewed confidence in my sometimes single digit temp everyday riding. I will never (repeat) never go back to a MC tire on the rear.

Check out the other threads on this subject. Keep an open mind and consider all the reviews of actual rider experience, not speculation, theory or predjudice.

·
Registered
973 Posts
PunkinWing - You claim, "If you're willing to gamble, go right ahead, it's your game". Then you make a unilateral stement like, "darksiders refuse to acknowlege that running a car tire on a motorcycle comes with some additional risks". How do you know that? How do you know the so called "Darksiders" refuse to acknowledge the risks? Have you spoken to all of them? Thats a pretty bold statement from a guy that probably hasn't spoken to any of them about it. Listen, you got facts, personal experience or expert knowledge I'll listen all day but don't be making up stuff to say about people. It ain't right and it ain't fair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do not think that a CT is the best for everyone. I think that it maybe for my riding style. I'm did as much research as I could and choose a CT to try. It wasn't a cheep tire it cost as much as the new Metz 880 that I have in my spare room. My reasons for trying it are my own. I will watch the tire close as I use it, as I do with any motorcycle tire I have used. There have been motorcycle tire fail badly in past and will be more I'm sure so it not just CT that may fail. You have to monitor any tire that you use. These are my thoughts only, I don't expect any experts on any side to agree. I wont no one to change what they use because I choose to try something different. Each person should look at the facts as they see them and make their own mind up as to what is best for them. All if you have facts to show me as to why I shouldn't use the CT I have, I will be glad to look at them.
garys

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Mad Meteor said:
PunkinWing - You claim, "If you're willing to gamble, go right ahead, it's your game". Then you make a unilateral stement like, "darksiders refuse to acknowlege that running a car tire on a motorcycle comes with some additional risks". How do you know that? How do you know the so called "Darksiders" refuse to acknowledge the risks? Have you spoken to all of them? Thats a pretty bold statement from a guy that probably hasn't spoken to any of them about it. Listen, you got facts, personal experience or expert knowledge I'll listen all day but don't be making up stuff to say about people. It ain't right and it ain't fair.
Lighten up my offended friend and re-read the post.. I couldn't care less what tire you choose to run.. My statement was that I have never seen a post that acknowleges the increased risks.. Show me a post on this board that acknowleges this risk and I'll retract that statement..
We all have additional risks on our bikes.. Some like carving the twisties in excess of the posted limits, some smoke while riding, some use cell phones while riding, some even eat and drink while riding!!! I firmly believe there is an increased risk running a car tire on a Goldwing.. Not telling anybody not to do it, not waving my finger disapprovingly, just stating my opinion that there's an increased risk on a public forum (just like everybody else)... Problem with that???
For your information, I do know folks who have run car tires on thier bikes.. While thier experiance is that it works pretty well, all but one has gone back to bike tires for handling and safety reasons. The only one still running a car tire is a Harley that has never scraped a floorboard..
Until a car tire engineer comes on this board and presents knowlege that this is a good practice, I'll just use my solid engineering backround and common sense to post my educated opinion on this board (just like everybody else here) Sorry if that offends you so much..
I said:
I'm sure that all car tire manufacturers design thier tires to run on the edges of the treads flexing the sidewalls while inflated to high pressures on a rim designed for a motorcycle tire. Continuous stresses like that on the treads belts can and eventually will result in shift and a potential for a catastrophic failure.. Add to this that manufacturing tolorances can adversly affect the performance of ANY tire for it's DESIGNED PURPOSE..
TO ALL THE "DARKSIDERS"
I'm just curious.. I know that a car tire can be a functional equivilant to one designed for a motorcycle, do you feel there an increased risk for the reasons in the above statement?? Is everybody 100% comfortable with the safety factor??

·
Vendor
22,233 Posts
I have found that you can use plain old saran wrap and a rubber band instead of a condom to prevent pregnancy. Really, it works great, and it is so much cheaper. Plus you can reuse it over and over again and you can get it at any grocery store.

C'mon guys, what are you afraid of? Give it a whirl. You might be surprised how well it works. Just tell your SO it is a new brand, she'll never know the difference. Oh, you do like kids don't you?

Sorry, I don't have a video. You will just have to use your imagination. :a13:

Wanderer said:
Gee, I dunno, lemme think. Maybe because it is NOT SAFE and they don't want someone to get hurt? Could that be it?

1 - 20 of 268 Posts