GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent thread about weight limits, the issue of tires came up, ineveitably, as did the suggestion that a car tire on the rear added some margin of safety for high weight loads. I'm a fairly conservative rider, and although I've never scraped a footpeg, I can't help but wonder how a car tire, with a relatively sharp corner between the contact portion and the sidewall, corners. Is there an abrupt shift of the bike as it reaches or goes beyond the edge? Does cornering eventually round out the edge? Etc.???

·
Registered
661 Posts
I haven't seen a car tire that would fit the 16" x 5" rim. Most 16" car tires have a 6" and up range for width.

·
Registered
973 Posts
JMATANDEM - There is no feeling of coming up on an edge when riding on a car tire. Most people using a car tire will tell you that it corners just fine.

RedStreak - There are a lot of tires out there that fit the Goldwing wheel just fine. The two most popular sizes are 195/50R16 and 195/55R16. Perhaps they are recommended for a wider rim than the Goldwing but they are also recommended for cars, not motorcycles. I have heard of, but have no direct knowledge of, someone putting a 205/50R16 on the back of a Goldwing using the stock 5" wheel.

Check out this thread. I think it will answer most of your questions.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65510

(Shuckaduck, I couldn't get the link you posted to work, so I re-posted it)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran a car tire on my valkyrie for over 50,000 miles. It did take about 200 miles to get used to the different cornering, it wasn't bad, just different. Never felt like I was up on an edge cornering, and I ride it hard. Deals Gap, Sierra Nevada's, all over the Rockies, and never a problem. Improved braking and acceleration, 40,000 miles to a tire instead of 8,000 on a bike tire. Not for everyone, but I liked it. I also often pulled a trailer loaded heavy cross country, no difference.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
tyres

What kind of car tire can i run on the front?

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
RedStreak,

I know what you mean. I was skeptical as well. I did a lot of reasearch on the internet before I decided to give it a try. I don't know why it works as well as it does. It sure seems counter-intuitive that a square looking tire made for a 6" or wider car wheel would work, and I mean go around corners, on a motorcycle with a 5" rim. I'm here to tell you that it sure seems to work just fine for a lot of people. More than I suspected when I first started looking into this last spring.

Be as skeptical as you want. In this world that isn't always a bad thing. On the other hand, you shouldn't ignore the evidence either. A lot of people have run many miles on many motorcycles, Vallkyries, Boss Hoss's, Harleys, Intruders, Goldwings, etc. with car tires on the back of their bikes and had positive things to say about the experience.

RedStreak wrote:
That means I don't know if I would want to put a tire on there that is listed for a 6" rim.
You don't want to put one on your motorcycle? Then don't, no one is asking you to. We are just sharing information here.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mad Meteor said:
RedStreak,

I know what you mean. I was skeptical as well. I did a lot of reasearch on the internet before I decided to give it a try. I don't know why it works as well as it does. It sure seems counter-intuitive that a square looking tire made for a 6" or wider car wheel would work, and I mean go around corners, on a motorcycle with a 5" rim. I'm here to tell you that it sure seems to work just fine for a lot of people. More than I suspected when I first started looking into this last spring.

Be as skeptical as you want. In this world that isn't always a bad thing. On the other hand, you shouldn't ignore the evidence either. A lot of people have run many miles on many motorcycles, Vallkyries, Boss Hoss's, Harleys, Intruders, Goldwings, etc. with car tires on the back of their bikes and had positive things to say about the experience.

RedStreak wrote:
That means I don't know if I would want to put a tire on there that is listed for a 6" rim.
You don't want to put one on your motorcycle? Then don't, no one is asking you to. We are just sharing information here.
I may try one sooner or later. I'd love to have something with a little more wt. rating. Just asking questions and stiring the pot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most of the auto tires have a range of rim widths they will fit. Ask a tire dealer about sizes.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
My Dunlop FM 901 195/50/16 is rated for a 5-7.5 wheel.

When I measured my stock wheel it was 5 3/4 wide.

I am a darksider & wouldn't go back to a cement tire..

Yes I drag the pegs on a regular basis too,and this tire sticks better than the E3 that is sitting in the garage with 3,000 miles on it..

My next rear tire will be a 195/55/16 run flat..The 195/55 is the same OD as the stock tire...

This current tire has the Speedo of by 6 Mph consistently! according to my GPS

·
Registered
598 Posts
JMATANDEM said:
In a recent thread about weight limits, the issue of tires came up, ineveitably, as did the suggestion that a car tire on the rear added some margin of safety for high weight loads. I'm a fairly conservative rider, and although I've never scraped a footpeg, I can't help but wonder how a car tire, with a relatively sharp corner between the contact portion and the sidewall, corners. Is there an abrupt shift of the bike as it reaches or goes beyond the edge? Does cornering eventually round out the edge? Etc.???
This question, and just about every other question regarding a car tire on the rear of a GL1800, has been covered quite extensively in this thread: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=65510
If you're really interested in exploring the handling characteristics, avail yourself of the reports that can be found there. You might be pleasantly surprised. :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
RedStreak said:
Mad Meteor said:
As Mad Meteor pointed out, a bit of skepticism might not hurt. While I had no trouble trying out a car tire on the back of my Wing (and finding that I really like it :D ), my own skepticism keeps me from jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with nothing more than a glorified bedsheet strapped onto my back, or jumping off bridges tethered by an oversize rubber band to keep me from going "SPLAT!", despite the thousands of people who have already done both successfully. :lol:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

No but every run flat I ran on my 1800 came off looking
like this on the edges.. Granted I ride harder then most
on a Wing, this is what they look like when rode hard
on the edge in corners..

Once I switched to a non run flat (bead lock) Falken
the tire tread wears even across the whole tread..

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
No but every run flat I ran on my 1800 came off looking
like this on the edges.. Granted I ride harder then most
on a Wing, this is what they look like when rode hard
on the edge in corners..
Chuck you SOB.you owe me a monitor-I spit coffee all over this one from a joke like you posted.:eek:4:

Paint dries faster than you ride..:nojoke:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Oh no, here we go again!:lol: Let the games begin!!!

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
4 Year old thread.... YAWN .......chuck 211 did you dig up this fossil just to brag??

Matt(BCNV) :tongue::22yikes::tongue:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts