GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car tires do not belong on Motorcycles….

Is what I have always read, except from the darksiders. For the last 6 years, right before I bought a new tire (I ride about 20k miles a year, so it is often) I would ponder the darkside. Then I would read all the posts about the darkside. There would be 80 posts pro ct, and 1 anti CT. I would stick to the 1 Anti CT and order the motorcycle tire (MC).

I met some guys from Texas at Nacogdoches this weekend. I left Saturday morning at 4:30am. Friday night at 10pm I realized my Dunlop (11k miles) was bald. I have an E3 mounted on another rim, so I put the e3 on. Friday morning at 5am, those E3’s were howling on the highway, very annoying.:cus: I thought, a car tire can’t be any more dangerous then the howling I am getting from the E3 so I decided to bite the bullet first thing Monday morning.

Monday (today)morning, I go to Discount Tire and buy the Michelin Primacy HP run flat 195-55-16. I take my “fancy trailer wheel” with Dunlop tire mounted, they said they can’t mount motorcycle wheels. I tell them about it being a “fancy trailer wheel.” They said they can’t mount it. I go across the street to NTB (National Tire and Battery). The guy says, “Sure we can mount it, but they don’t have that tire available. I told the guy I can buy it across the street at Discount Tire, he said, “No Problem, go buy it and bring it over and we will mount it. The only problem is we don’t have motorcycle wheel weights so we can’t balance it.

The guy at NTB is a member of Samcro (Son’s of Anarchy Motorcycle Club), I could tell because he had a Samcro hoodie sweatshirt on with SOA on the back with the Grim Reaper J:doorag: So I assume since he was a real biker he didn’t see a problem mounting my tire. The guy even got my dynobeads out of my old tire and put it in the new tire (at my request)

I go across the street buy the Michelin Primacy, go back to NTB and leave. An hour later he calls me and says it is mounted. I pick it up, go home, switch wheels and the tire won’t go on!!! I read the nasty darkside forum and they said use a trash bag. I let the air out, use a walmart plastic bag and the tire goes on super easy. I go for a test ride of about 20 miles.

Why was I so chicken about the car tire business?? This thing rides butter smooth, yes there is a SLIGHT learning curve, and it is also very quiet. I rode it across all kinds of roads and I really liked the feel. The thing will pop up on it’s own coming out of a corner, slow speed handling is actually easier because it wants to stand up naturally. I was expecting to have to put more input on cornering, but I really can’t tell any difference except coming out of the corner. Coming to red lights or stop signs, I almost don’t have to put my feet down. All in all I absolutely love it.

I am going to the Lone Star Rally this weekend so I will have a chance to put about a 1000 miles on it. It has to be better than the 650 miles I rode Saturday with the dadgum E3 howling at me. I had to finally put my earplugs in to cancel out the howling. I hate E3’s. By the way, I realized I am a double darksided.

I put the Battleax Rear on the front (reversed rotation) about 10,000 miles ago (July). Still look like new and handle like a dream. The Battleax came with some trepidation also because there were some guys telling me how you are not supposed to put a rear tire on the front, they said I would crash and burn:eek:4: Another perk to the Michelin Run Flat is I don’t have to worry about flats. I hear having a flat tire on the rear going 80 can be bad for your health also. I want to get this tire out on the highway and hit 90 and see how it feels before Friday.

By the way, to you darksiders, here is what the sticker says Michelin Primacy HP 87V (I hope I got the right one). :shock:

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by the way, NTB only charged me $11 to mount the car tire on my "fancy trailer wheel" ;) Discount tire charged me $215 for the tire. I used the NTB at the corner of Davis and Precinct Line in N. Richland Hills.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Now you've done it...you'll surely die a flaming death. If the tire doesn't get you, this board will.

From one who knows...enjoy the quieter and smoother ride.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside! Enjoy all the benefits!
:thumbup::biker:

Joe

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I put one on about 12,000 miles ago... absolutely no regrets CONGRATULATIONS:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
I too am waiting to die a firey death because a CT is flat and it will not lean into the corners. I have been trying to prove the Darksiders wrong for a year. They are not

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
MisterK, I see you must have riled up one of the geritol-deprived crowd since lamonster logged-in and moved your post here. No biggie, enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
855 Posts
> just wondering, how would the bike's insurance company treat this at claim time; regardless of
who's at fault or the cause of the accident

> would having a car tire risk having a claim rejected or is this checked on with the bike's insurance
company before putting a car tire on?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
> just wondering, how would the bike's insurance company treat this at claim time; regardless of

> would having a car tire risk having a claim rejected or is this checked on with the bike's insurance
Many have checked with their insurance companies and they report no issues. Many have been searching (for quite awile) to find a denied claim because of a CT, non have yet surfaced. Doesn't mean they won't, just nothing yet.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

so if i install different size tires on my car can the insurance company deny my claim cause it's not the right size or brand that came with the car or rating? it is DOT approve last time i check and they don't say for car only on tires. here's another example how many guys decide to put on a 240 tire in the rear of a custom bike and it works will insurance company have anything to say I think not casue there are alot of people who do it. or change there front rim for a 19 inch to a 21 or even bigger?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome aboard. Now just sit back and relax for you have alot of (worry free) cruising ahead. I ran two of those exact same Michyz over the last year and half. I just recently switched to the Michy alpine and cant tell any difference other than the price. 202 from tire rack compaired to 146-ish. I will have to look up this ride you speak of and start making some plans. May you find fair weather and curvy roads

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Car tires do not belong on Motorcycles….

Is what I have always read, except from the darksiders. For the last 6 years, right before I bought a new tire (I ride about 20k miles a year, so it is often) I would ponder the darkside. Then I would read all the posts about the darkside. There would be 80 posts pro ct, and 1 anti CT. I would stick to the 1 Anti CT and order the motorcycle tire (MC).

I met some guys from Texas at Nacogdoches this weekend. I left Saturday morning at 4:30am. Friday night at 10pm I realized my Dunlop (11k miles) was bald. I have an E3 mounted on another rim, so I put the e3 on. Friday morning at 5am, those E3’s were howling on the highway, very annoying.:cus: I thought, a car tire can’t be any more dangerous then the howling I am getting from the E3 so I decided to bite the bullet first thing Monday morning.

Monday (today)morning, I go to Discount Tire and buy the Michelin Primacy HP run flat 195-55-16. I take my “fancy trailer wheel” with Dunlop tire mounted, they said they can’t mount motorcycle wheels. I tell them about it being a “fancy trailer wheel.” They said they can’t mount it. I go across the street to NTB (National Tire and Battery). The guy says, “Sure we can mount it, but they don’t have that tire available. I told the guy I can buy it across the street at Discount Tire, he said, “No Problem, go buy it and bring it over and we will mount it. The only problem is we don’t have motorcycle wheel weights so we can’t balance it.

The guy at NTB is a member of Samcro (Son’s of Anarchy Motorcycle Club), I could tell because he had a Samcro hoodie sweatshirt on with SOA on the back with the Grim Reaper J:doorag: So I assume since he was a real biker he didn’t see a problem mounting my tire. The guy even got my dynobeads out of my old tire and put it in the new tire (at my request)

I go across the street buy the Michelin Primacy, go back to NTB and leave. An hour later he calls me and says it is mounted. I pick it up, go home, switch wheels and the tire won’t go on!!! I read the nasty darkside forum and they said use a trash bag. I let the air out, use a walmart plastic bag and the tire goes on super easy. I go for a test ride of about 20 miles.

Why was I so chicken about the car tire business?? This thing rides butter smooth, yes there is a SLIGHT learning curve, and it is also very quiet. I rode it across all kinds of roads and I really liked the feel. The thing will pop up on it’s own coming out of a corner, slow speed handling is actually easier because it wants to stand up naturally. I was expecting to have to put more input on cornering, but I really can’t tell any difference except coming out of the corner. Coming to red lights or stop signs, I almost don’t have to put my feet down. All in all I absolutely love it.

I am going to the Lone Star Rally this weekend so I will have a chance to put about a 1000 miles on it. It has to be better than the 650 miles I rode Saturday with the dadgum E3 howling at me. I had to finally put my earplugs in to cancel out the howling. I hate E3’s. By the way, I realized I am a double darksided.

I put the Battleax Rear on the front (reversed rotation) about 10,000 miles ago (July). Still look like new and handle like a dream. The Battleax came with some trepidation also because there were some guys telling me how you are not supposed to put a rear tire on the front, they said I would crash and burn:eek:4: Another perk to the Michelin Run Flat is I don’t have to worry about flats. I hear having a flat tire on the rear going 80 can be bad for your health also. I want to get this tire out on the highway and hit 90 and see how it feels before Friday.

By the way, to you darksiders, here is what the sticker says Michelin Primacy HP 87V (I hope I got the right one). :shock:
Good on you Mister K, and welcome to the brighter side. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the dark side Kevin
Thanks Keith, it was great to meet you and Vallery (spelling) this past weekend. As a matter of fact it was your and Marvin's conversation about having the car tire at dinner Saturday that gave me the courage to move over...

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts

Kenner, My wife is an insurance agent and she says they would not say a thing long as the tire is DOT approved.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts