GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this particular response to a question in Wing World concerning the safety of car tires. Stu further relates how unsafe they are. I have a Kumho on my wing, but this makes me think about it. Here it is and are there any published articles on car tire safety on motorcycles.

Riders who mount car tires on motorcycles
fall into three groups: Those who believe
they have extensive knowledge of tire design
when they in fact have little or none; those
who believe that tires are generic and that any
tire can be safely used on any vehicle to which
it can be mounted; and those who admittedly
have no knowledge of the subject yet choose to
believe and follow anonymous Internet gurus
of unknown qualification.

I like my car tire, like the traction, the feel, but is it safe? I know I am probably opening a can of worms,but I am curious. I know several people on this forum have put 100 s of thousand of miles on them.

Oh, Happy Fathers Day

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Here we go again... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Can you say "Google"?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
You need to take this over to the "DARKSIDE RIDERS FORUM" where you will get a resounding . . . YES!!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My thought would be to question how much first hand experience the author has on the subject. In Stu's case he has none.

The proof is in the pudding...thousands of riders happily and safely using such dreaded tires and the only rebuttal one gets is from anonymous gurus of unknown qualification.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Edit: like mentioned above, may want to take to DS forum. You wouldn't want to upset the mental state of those don't know.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Just because you buy a MT doesn't mean it wont kill ya. Id bet more accidents have occurred from MTs. One almost killed me in 1976 on the freeway. Rear blow-out at 70mph. The bike whipped violently across all 4 lanes. All I could do was stand forward on the pegs to try and get more weight to the front of the bike. My passenger bailed on the last whip, the bike and I did a 180 and ended up facing the on coming traffic :22yikes:
My passenger ended up in the bushes down the middle divider with a broken wrist and a few scrapes. Still gives me the willies when I think about it. I had just come from having a new MT installed at the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
10,000 miles on mine the tire is in great shape. Can get 10,000 more easy will never go back to a mc tire.:doorag:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Safe

If you are looking at safe then you are enjoying the wrong sport. Anyone that says the a motorcycle is safe is one looking for a crash. There is a lot of thing that can happen animals cars truck holes in the road .

Is a car tire safe describe safe. It will grip better in sand,gravel,wet roads,stay up without air and is better in slow speed maneuvers. Does it like uneven roads no.

I love the Kumho that I put on my bike before I triked it would I do it again in a heart beat. Back before they made mt tires that was what they put on the old bikes look at you pre ww2 pictures of Harley D. JMO

Remember you do everything at your own risk the decision has you be yours and no one else.

Sonney 600

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
Go on down to the Darkside Forum --there you can convince yourself:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I read this particular response to a question in Wing World concerning the safety of car tires. Stu further relates how unsafe they are. I have a Kumho on my wing, but this makes me think about it. Here it is and are there any published articles on car tire safety on motorcycles.

I like my car tire, like the traction, the feel, but is it safe? I know I am probably opening a can of worms,but I am curious. I know several people on this forum have put 100 s of thousand of miles on them.

Oh, Happy Fathers Day
The true answer on THIS board is,
MAYBE, then again, MAYBE NOT! :popcorn:

Check with the Darksider's board for SURE. :lol:

thecruiser

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

Oh, Happy Fathers Day
Stu is a somewhat knowledgeable person of general motorcycle knowledge. His knowledge and experience with the use of a Car Tire on a GL1800 is nil. I guess that puts him into the category of "Those who have no knowledge of the subject yet choose to ignore those who do."

·
Registered
526 Posts
There has been several posts on MC tires delaminating this year, are all MC tires safe :confused::confused:. I have not heard of any CT tires delaminating on cars or bikes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Wrong board for a CT thread. :coffee1:
You need to take this over to the "DARKSIDE RIDERS FORUM" where you will get a resounding . . . YES!!
Go on down to the Darkside Forum --there you can convince yourself:thumbup:
Excuse me but who died and made any of you the board or forum cops???

In my opinion, (and as we know everybody has one) the Dark side forum is light-years ahead of you guys by far, they have more intelligent threads than all the rest together, and when you need help with a problem nine times out of ten it will be a Darksider that comes to your rescue with the help you need... And there is hardly ever an argument on any of their threads...

Granted there is a section for C/T related discussions but wingjewler has a very valid right to ask this question here where there will not be any bias towards C/Ts, yes there will be plenty against C/Ts here, but the man is asking for the truth and if you haven't tried one you don’t know the truth...

I personally don't run a C/T nor have I ever run a C/T yet, but this is a very good question that needs to be answered honestly...

You wanta be cops and self-righteous jerks that have been ruining this board, you need to get on your bike and do more riding or craw back in your hole and shut up!!!

Go for it...

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
no car tire on my bike, at least not yet

the UPS guy was here the other day and said that lots of folks on his route were switching thier wings to car tires and he wanted to know what i thought about it, told him i was well aware of it but wasn't very interested in trying it myself but u never know, i recently bought a couple of rear motorcycle tires from folks that switched to car tires

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Excuse me but who died and made any of you the board or forum cops???

In my opinion, (and as we know everybody has one) the Dark side forum is light-years ahead of you guys by far, they have more intelligent threads than all the rest together, and when you need help with a problem nine times out of ten it will be a Darksider that comes to your rescue with the help you need... And there is hardly ever an argument on any of their threads...

Granted there is a section for C/T related discussions but wingjewler has a very valid right to ask this question here where there will not be any bias towards C/Ts, yes there will be plenty against C/Ts here, but the man is asking for the truth and if you haven't tried one you don’t know the truth...

I personally don't run a C/T nor have I ever run a C/T yet, but this is a very good question that needs to be answered honestly...

You wanta be cops and self-righteous jerks that have been ruining this board, you need to get on your bike and do more riding or craw back in your hole and shut up!!!

Go for it...
I guess you policed things up on this thread Sheriff. :roll:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you expect Wing World to endorse a Car Tire. Imagine how many members they would lose if they did that. That's dollars to them.

A Car tire is a personal choice. If run them both on my wing and Valk. Like yes. Everyime I change tires it's my choice to run them. It's part of my right to do what i want to myself. Use them if you like them.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not for me.

I'll stick with my MC tires simply because they work, and I eliminate at least one defense an insurance company may have if I crash. And I do have knowledge about that - for over 20 years I have represented insurance companies in auto accidents.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Wingjeweler

A few things you need to know about Stu, besides being old and brain dead, he is employed by the "Cult", the "cult" assumes no responsibility for his comments, articles, and reviews, which are only opinions and are written with his name to sell membership. Stu searches all the web sites that deal with motorcycles to find his stuff for a profit. Sort of like an ambulance chaser or cheap lawyer. His time has come.

With that said, take it for what it is worth. His comments are more of a Safety Issue that needs to be published in order to adhere to the "cults" IRS rules to promote safety so that they, "cult" can enjoy their tax free status.

Real life experience can be found on the Dark Side Board and nothing more than opinions will be found here.

Again, Take it for what it is worth to you and you only.

I love my Kumho so much I bought 2. The spare in the garage will have dry rot by the time I replace my first Kumho. Lesson Learned.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
I'll stick with my MC tires simply because they work, and I eliminate at least one defense an insurance company may have if I crash. And I do have knowledge about that - for over 20 years I have represented insurance companies in auto accidents.

You care to expound?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts