GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard, read, seen some where about putting a car tire on the rear of a wing. Any info pro or conn.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
YES. Maserati and Ferrari comes to mind....... :drive1: :cop2: :cus:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
car tars

IF you find a good car tar to run on the front of the wing let us know.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the answer is No huh.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Actually, I really don't like to get into any arguments about anything on this site. People with experience on specific things are a great help and greatly appreciated. I've read a lot of good things about Fred's videos and ordered a set while they were on sale. But, unless Fred has actually used a car tire on the rear of his Wing, I really don't think he knows how it handles. I have been using a Dunlop Winter Sport 195/55/16 for the last 6000 miles. The more I ride on it, the more I like it. Especially riding 2-up, loaded and pulling a trailer. I have tried different tire pressures and 40 psi 1-up and 44 psi 2-up is just right for me. The tire is great in the rain, I have not experienced any hydroplaning or slippage, and I consider myself a semi-aggressive rider. After this one wears out, I'll probably try a runflat because of the stiffer sidewalls.

I am not encouraging anyone to try a car tire. Do not do anything out of the "norm", follow the crowd and be happy with what everyone else tells you to do.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I wish HDL would stock and sell some acceptable car tires for us. :?

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Gizmo said:
I wish HDL would stock and sell some acceptable car tires for us. :?
You might not want to hold your breath for that one! :roll:

-----------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried the car tire on a Wing. I have tried it on two different models of the Valks. Makes them handle like a bucket full of behinds. Nasty! I was with a guy that locked a car tire up on the back of his Valk Tourer. The back end of that bike bounced like a basketball. The bounce was so violent I thought he was going to get thrown from his scoot! He had no stopping power. Not much traction when the tire is off of the ground. LOL...

If you enjoy a car tire, more power to you.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bet his insurance company would have a cow....

Heck, he can't even find a BIKE tire that is acceptable to us........

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Which one is more dangerous? Running a car tire on the rear or making experimental suspension modifications like disabling the front anti-dive valve?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
XRAYTED said:
I have heard, read, seen some where about putting a car tire on the rear of a wing. Any info pro or conn.
In addition to the thread Rick Mays posted here are a few more.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... obile+tire

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... obile+tire

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... t=car+tire

There are probbly 50 more threads over the years about car tires just on this board. Good luck in your research.

I have not used a car tire (yet). I will probably try one this next summer. If you read all the threads on car tire use on the Wing you will find either they are the best thing since sliced bread or that the heavens will open up and strike you from the earth if you use one. The truth of course is somewhere in between. :?

Your best bet is to buy a cheap (inexpensive) rear wheel from a trike converter and mount a CT and try it yourself. Let us all know what you think. We need another thread on CTs :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts