GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay no more silly belly pan questions from me!
This may be a "nobrainer" But how about this one.
The owners manual say's not to use high pressure washing.
But I can't get the lower part of the bike clean without using
the local car wash sprayer. So I did, and avoided the upper half
of the bike. This seemed to work well so far. I understand the
risk of getting the electronics wet. But living on a dusty dirt road
I have to do something to keeper clean! All your input is very
much appreciated. Riding weather is closer!
Had flurries yesterday!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Doug,

I've use the high pressure wands from those car washers that are so equipped, but I've only used this method sparingly while on trips. I just keep the wand far away from the bike that the pressure is more of a mild damping, than a high pressure damaging result.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't point a high pressure wand anywhere near your wheel bearings. Personally, I won't use one anywhere on the bike. I would rather use a bucket and sponge and a real low pressure hose.
:agree:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Good wax to start with and I use a quicky car wash with no soap.

Ride it 6 blocks home, wipe it off with a microfiber and put a little goo on the windshield.

I probably wouldn't wipe it off if we didn't have lime in our water.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I use Turtle Wax car wash solution, mix it in a bucket of water and wash it like a car, wheels, mufflers, undercarriage everything, It's a touring bike, water won't hurt it. Then I use my leaf blower on low setting to dry it, stay away from the speakers, then apply a coat of wax and I'm ready for the next ride.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I use a bucket ,water, soap and sponge. Takes 10 minutes

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I use the car wash, but I never spray the top shelter area or the controls. Just the front fairing and the saddlebags & trunk areas that tend to pick up a lot of mud and grime. And I use the low pressure soap soaker feature to get things going.

And I step back to lower the pressure. For wheels and other stuff I use a spray bottle and lots of synthetic cloths. I have to do the wheels this weekend....they are grimy from salty road residue.

I live in an apartment that doesn't allow any maintainence, including washing vehicles in the parking lot. I actually change the oil by waiting for the security guy to finish his rounds and that gives me 20 minutes to get the oil out of the bike and out of sight.

Even minor maintainence calls for a negotiation with building management.

Fred, you have my admiration for the gumption to do it by hand.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
S-100 is an excellent cleaner/ degreaser/ brake dust remover. It was formulated for motorcycle use. It is safe for plastics, seats, lenses and of course tires and rims.

It comes in a kit with a soft sponge to work off the thicker bits. I kept my 1500 clean with this stuff and followed up with protect-all spray. It's kind of like son-of-a-gun only 10 times better. It leaves a waxy finish that will bead water and protect against UV ray damage. I've used it on my 1800 and had excellent results. I wouldn't recommend spraying WATER at ANY of your switches or buttons and nothing more than a garden hose at anything else.

Car Washes are definately a no-no. The high pressure spray will get into your switches and either cause corrosion or lubrication washout. You are asking for trouble.

Honda sells the S-100 in their own packaging, I think it's called Hondabrite. My Honda dealer also sells the S-100 in its original packaging.

It makes cleaning the wheels especially easy. I always follow up with Protect-all after to get the water spots, and to give those thinly coated wheels a little protection from corrosion. Honda really cheaped out on lacquering the wheels on the 1800.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Okay no more silly belly pan questions from me!
This may be a "nobrainer" But how about this one.
The owners manual say's not to use high pressure washing.
But I can't get the lower part of the bike clean without using
the local car wash sprayer.

I can't see where you can hurt anything with the carwash sprayer if you are washing the under side of the bike. I would be very careful around the overflow bottle as it is plastic. The real danger is you can't see what you are spraying under there. If you aimed the stream at the front wheel bearing seals from a couple of inches away, you might get some water in there but the wheel bearings are also sealed and I doubt seriously that you could get water into the bearings.

A little bit of "common Sense" goes a long way, but like Grandpaw said; Common Sense ain't that common!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Bucket of soap and water works best i have never used high pressure car type washers also washing and polishing your bike is the best feeling :lol:

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I use zip-lock sandwich bags with a little masking tape and cover the speakers. Wash with zip car wash. I wash the WHOLE bike including the windshield, shelter, handlebars and even the nav screen. I rinse everything with the hose and blow dry. The important thing is to ride it and get any standing water out of it before you put it away. takes me about 1/2 hour and I'm done.
Your goldwing is waterproof.
Darts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I use zip-lock sandwich bags with a little masking tape and cover the speakers.
Your goldwing is waterproof.
Darts
Except for the speakers apparently... You must not ride in the rain....:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Along with some common sense, I use a power washer (my own) for cleaning.

If you need help with the part in italics, maybe you should just leave her dirty. :joke:

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
:thumbup:I have a few ideas, but haven't created them yet. I think someone ought to make a water proof cover that has elastic so you can put it over your mirrors, goes up to the dash and attaches with velcro or a snap, and then let it drape over the electronics, all the way to the gas tank. For the back speakers i would cut out a sheet of this magnetic sign material that people advertise on the side of their cars. Cut it to fit the speaker grills for the rear (if there real metal) and wash away. After your final rinse, you can wipe the other stuff down with your damp towels. I would buy it in a heart beat if it came in a kit.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
fine mist out of a sprayer on a hose to wash the dust off wash it rinse with water coming out of the hose no sprayer, my 06 is as clean under anywhere as it was new , you can clean it just get under there and get a bit wet-----
no high pressure washes!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have and will continue to, "Bug Wash from a distance", then ride home and hand wash the rest. High Pressure around any bearing area is a NO-NO!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Some do and claim no problem, I wouldn't. If you do, at least avoid critical areas like wheel bearings and switchgear.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I used the car wash the other day. The only problem I had was I forgot to put my face sheild down. :eek:4:
Mick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts