GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you own or have you owned a carbon fiber, full face helmet? If so, what brand and was it worth the $ to get the lighter weight?

I am interested in the pros and cons of the carbon fiber helmets.

Thanks for your opinions and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Do you own or have you owned a carbon fiber, full face helmet? If so, what brand and was it worth the $ to get the lighter weight?

Mike

If the muscles on the back of the neck are weak, a 4 lb, front weighted, modular helmet may make them spasm painfully. That has happened to me on IBA 1000/24 rides. It is relieved by removing the helmet and taking 3-5 minutes to stretch the muscles until there is no pain. The pain returns after 2 hours.

My HJC Symax II weighs 3lbs 14oz and the HJC AC-12, carbon, weighs 3lbs 4oz. IMO it's not worth the money to reduce by 10oz.

My HJC Symax II is very heavily front weighted because of the modular mechanisms.

I have switched to a Shoei Qwest full face 3lbs 10oz. It is balanced and I can ride all day now with no neck spasms.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got one of the Joe Rocket (RKT 101) carbon fiber helmets. It was about $400+ but was marked down to $179 so I couldn't resist the price. It was last year's model, but looks exactly like this year's model (to me, anyhow). You might still find one somewhere. It's lighter than my other helmets and I think I will really like it, but the headset keeps screwing up, so my replacement headset is in the mail back to me now. I'm supposed to do a Blue Ridge run beginning Friday morning, so I'll probably have more info once I get the headset installed and get back to wearing the helmet.

I am under the impression that HJC builds the Joe Rocket helmets and might be less expensive, not sure.

2W

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
... I am under the impression that HJC builds the Joe Rocket helmets and might be less expensive, not sure.
2W
When talking to an HJC rep I was told that the Joe Rocket carbon fiber is indeed made by HJC but it is their old shell design. He said, their newest shell is only sold under the HJC label.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I've got one of the Joe Rocket (RKT 101) carbon fiber helmets. It was about $400+ but was marked down to $179 so I couldn't resist the price. It was last year's model, but looks exactly like this year's model (to me, anyhow). You might still find one somewhere. It's lighter than my other helmets and I think I will really like it, but the headset keeps screwing up, so my replacement headset is in the mail back to me now. I'm supposed to do a Blue Ridge run beginning Friday morning, so I'll probably have more info once I get the headset installed and get back to wearing the helmet.

I am under the impression that HJC builds the Joe Rocket helmets and might be less expensive, not sure.

2W
We found the same deal. After a recent 14 day trip my wife said her neck didn't hurt at all. Major difference in weight. We got use to the full face and very comfortable wearing them. Except for the putting on of glasses after you put on the helmet.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We found the same deal. After a recent 14 day trip my wife said her neck didn't hurt at all. Major difference in weight. We got use to the full face and very comfortable wearing them. Except for the putting on of glasses after you put on the helmet.
I'm anxious to try mine on a long run. We're supposed to be gone 4 days and close to 2,000 miles beginning early Friday morning. My neck is degenerating, according to some imaging I had done in 2007. I do get quite a bit of pain in my neck and near the top of my spine. My left arm gets numb and tingles at times. Hopefully, the lighter helmet will help. If not, I may have to wear the road out between my house and the Dairy Queen!:joke:

2W

The older shell design doesn't bother me. It fits OK and feels good. Hopefully, it's what I need.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
A friend of mine had a carbon fiber helmet when he went down hard on a 4 wheeler... he went over the handlebars... ATV ran over him... his helmet (don't know what brand) shattered.. there was no pieces larger than apple, but many pieces smaller than a half dollar needlless to say he was badly injured..
i don't think i will ever own a carbon fiber helmet ....

cosmic

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. This is the place for information!:agree:

Mike

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Mike
Mike - two weeks after I purchased my HJC AC-3 Full Carbon Fiber Shell 3/4 helmet I was involved in a head-on collision between a drunk driver in a pickup truck, and myself on my 07 Goldwing. My HJC took a major impact which ripped off my face shield, but protected my brain from more that a serious concussion. IMO if it wasn't for the carbon fiber my head would have been squished on his hood.

If/when I'm physically able to ride a 'Wing again I'll be going with a full faced carbon fiber helmet. This one for instance -- http://tinyurl.com/6dwyl7n

Here's a picture of the aftermath --

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You can have the snazziest, most expensive helmet on earth, but if it doesnt fit you correctly, it could be little help to save your life. Be more insistant that it fits rather than how it looks. Make certain it will not twist on your head from side to side or roll forward and hit your nose. Simple comfort does not mean it fits!

I just purchased a helmet that's shell is comprised of KEVLAR/CARBON FIBER/FIBERGLASS.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This is the Joe Rocket RKT101 Carbon Fiber Helmet, its the MOST comfortable helmet I have ever owned, and I believe I have 8 right now, including a $650 flip face w/ premium J&M headset.

When the box arrived, I thought they had forgotten to put the helmet in it because it is SO light. Joe Rocket helmets are made by HJC and I had been using the flat black HJC CL-15 while on the Rune, you can see next to the Carbon one. My neck would get sore with any of the other helmets on the Rune, just due to added wind, but the RKT feels like you are not even wearing one because it is so light. I got it last week on ebay for ~$195 shipped, although this week I see some are cheaper (of course). I also added the tinted shield. I had been putting off getting one because they are ususlly $350-$400.
Sizes are the same as HJC.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a Suomy Apex Full Face medium. Sticker on the back says weight 1200 grams +/- 50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts