GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have had Cardio By Pass Surgery I have a question:

How long after surgery before you were able to ride?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I waited 12 weeks and have been riding post bypass since 2005. with no problem and no restrictions. Good luck I hope yours goes as well as mine did. I was a lucky and grateful man. Take care.

Fred

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Dr. told me 6 weeks before driving a car. I could ride the bike after that when I could pick it up off the side stand without any pain.
The problem is if you suffer any kind of impact in the sternum area before it pretty much heals.
A shot from an airbag(coming out of the steering wheel) or pitching off the bike could drive bone into the heart/lungs.
Probably not what you want to hear(me neither at the time) but, it would be best to give the bike a 2 month rest!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had my brand new 01 Wing delivered to my home about a week after my surgery.

I would go out and sit in the garage and stare at it!

I rolled it down to the end of the driveway, and put it on the side stand. I got off and walked around it admiring it.

I swung my leg over it, and yanked it up.....I was used to a Venture, which was top heavy.
The bike went past vertical and was almost going down on the right side.....!
I absolutely was not going to drop my brand new Wing with zero miles on it!!!

I pulled with every bit of strength I had, and got it back up straight.....!

It felt like I pulled my sternum apart, and strained all of the wires that were holding it together!!!!!

Talk about pain !!

I waited for a month before I took it out riding.....of course not far....it was February in St. Louis.

I also drum for 2 bands in St. Louis.
I played a 4 hour gig at two months after surgery.

You will heal and get your strength back....it just takes time!

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Went to the hospital for prostate surgery. The next day I had a heart attack. Had open heart surgery the following week. I waited for 6 months before getting on the bike and taking out for a short spin. Its now 9 months, no soreness and riding for about 3 hours at a time. Still being very careful. Its been a very long road, everytime the doctors did something or changed meds I had some sort of reaction. One of the best things I did was the CARDIO REHAB program held at the hospital and now I go to the local gym and excerise about one and half hours, three or more times a week. :roll:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cardio By Pass

Had a triple bypass in 2004 and was riding my bike in 8 weeks. Just made sure that when I threw my leg over the seat I used the inner thigh push as my right foot reached the pavement. Have had 2 stents placed since then and still never longer than 6 weeks on them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I haven't had it but I work in a cath lab (where you found the problem) and I have worked in surgery. Generally it is around 3-4 months...You need to let the sternum heal properly. It ain't good if it doesn't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Had a triple bypass in 2004 and was riding my bike in 8 weeks. Just made sure that when I threw my leg over the seat I used the inner thigh push as my right foot reached the pavement. Have had 2 stents placed since then and still never longer than 6 weeks on them.
Same here. Everybody is a little different, don't push it, the bike will be there when you heal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cardio By Pass

Thanks for the information. I had 5 by passes June 2nd and the Surgeon said I could ride, however I think I might wait til Sep 2nd before I putter around the area.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Thanks for the information. I had 5 by passes June 2nd and the Surgeon said I could ride, however I think I might wait til Sep 2nd before I putter around the area.
I had four of them and waited about 12 weeks. Does not hurt to err on the side of caution. Take care, and good luck to you.

Fred

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wow, none of this is what I wanted to hear. It's has only been two and a half weeks since I had my double bypass and I am already chomping at the bit. I've been very good until now, but I need to get out and do something soon. Hopefully, I will start rehab this week and some of the extreme boredom will be interuppted by at least a little activity. I don't think the wing would be a good idea to ride, but what about a little TW 200?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I had a pacemakers put in a few years ago and had to wait 2 months before I could ride or lift my left arm higher then my shoulder.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a quad bypass and I agree with Kevtn. Be patient and don't let your ego or just feeling good get ahead of your common sense. Take your time getting into lifting heavy weights it will pay off in the long run. I know from experience..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, none of this is what I wanted to hear. It's has only been two and a half weeks since I had my double bypass and I am already chomping at the bit. I've been very good until now, but I need to get out and do something soon. Hopefully, I will start rehab this week and some of the extreme boredom will be interuppted by at least a little activity. I don't think the wing would be a good idea to ride, but what about a little TW 200?
I too was 12 weeks and I don't have on click or clack in my chest. A lot of guys seem to start trying to do things to soon and it only prolongs the healing process.

If you are bored and need some activity try walking. You need to be doing that anyway as part of your recovery.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I too was 12 weeks and I don't have on click or clack in my chest. A lot of guys seem to start trying to do things to soon and it only prolongs the healing process.

If you are bored and need some activity try walking. You need to be doing that anyway as part of your recovery.
I'm doing lots of that, but mostly inside my house. It seems like it has been over 110* for the last 20 days or so. My only walks outside have been before 8:00 am in the morning. I guess I'm just getting to the point where I am feeling good enough to start complaining! <G>

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I was given 12 weeks. Was told not to lift anything heaver than a quart of milk for that time. Do yourself a favor and don't try to push the limit. It isn't worth it. You got a lot invested and it isn't worth breaking that breastbone just for a ride. You got a lot of good times ahead of you. It's been over 8 years for me and I now bench press more than ever.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For those who have had Cardio By Pass Surgery I have a question:

How long after surgery before you were able to ride?
I had a triple when I was 49 (6 years ago ), I was oked by my doctor after
12 weeks. I had some pain from the sternum when I tried to ride so I
waited till 16 weeks. I felt fine then, don't push it , your body will tell you when its ready.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2 years ago I had June Surgery too and it was in September when I started riding. I didn't like some of the stories about breaking the Sternum loose so I actually behaved and waited. Good Luck ! The rehab helped a bunch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Big lefty havent seen or heard from you sence we met in the mountains somewhere in Washing State back in the middle of June.Seems like you were going to see your granddaughter or something in Ykama I know when the flagman finally waved us by you were off like a Rocket!! Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back out there soon. My best to you and yours EASYE

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Big lefty havent seen or heard from you sence we met in the mountains somewhere in Washing State back in the middle of June.Seems like you were going to see your granddaughter or something in Ykama I know when the flagman finally waved us by you were off like a Rocket!! Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back out there soon. My best to you and yours EASYE
I remember, we were up on HWY 12. I really enjoyed our conversation, and yes, I made it to Yakima in record time.<G> I ended up being under the weather most of that trip, so after Yakima, I spent a couple of days in a motel in Grants Pass, OR trying to get strong enough to make it to my sisters house. I spent 8 more days resting under their care. After I got home, never did seem to feel great again and on a routine visit to my cardiologist discovered a couple of issues. Those should be fixed with the bypass, but I am really itching to do something. I guess I will behave as long as I can, but the way things are going that might be Wednesday....lol! Thanks for the well wishes, and nice hearing from you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts