GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use this app to make setting changes however I have to pair my phone to the headset to do so, I then have to re-pair the GW back to the headset each time. I have my wife paired as well. I think the cardo only has two channels available. Maybe a cardo user has this figured out, or maybe I am missing something.

I seem to have carplay working well along with all other functions

rider to passenger paired
passenger to her phone
rider to bike
iPhone plugged in.

On another note, I moved my earpads to the inside of the built-in holders thus putting them closer to my ears and sound is much better. I may take some filler and put in the holder to push the earpads closer against my ears. I have a half helmet so there is a lack of firm support pushing against my ears.

Reactions: JED

·
Registered
468 Posts
It has more than 2 channels. I used to have the app but changed phones and haven’t downloaded it yet. It worked fine using my android phone, my headset was paired to wife’s headsets, bike, and phone.
The app I believe has to be connected in BT mode on the headset

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I would like to use this app to make setting changes however I have to pair my phone to the headset to do so, I then have to re-pair the GW back to the headset each time. I have my wife paired as well. I think the cardo only has two channels available. Maybe a cardo user has this figured out, or maybe I am missing something.

I seem to have carplay working well along with all other functions

rider to passenger paired
passenger to her phone
rider to bike
iPhone plugged in.

On another note, I moved my earpads to the inside of the built-in holders thus putting them closer to my ears and sound is much better. I may take some filler and put in the holder to push the earpads closer against my ears. I have a half helmet so there is a lack of firm support pushing against my ears.
ive been thinking about the same thing. this is what im going to try this weekend. there are 2 phone channels and a gps channel. i was told to pair the bike to the gps channel and that would free up a phone channel. bluetooth the phone to the cardo. turn off bluetooth on the phone when youll be plugging in your phone into the bike for carplay. then turn blue tooth on your phone when you want to use the cardo app. you may have to unplug the phone from the bike to use the bluetooth though. i dont know which would have priority or if theyd both work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I falsely assumed (I think) that I could connect with other devices and update the software to the Cardo Packtalk Bold via the app; essentially that you could control the Cardo device through the app. Apparently that is not the case. If I'm wrong please let me know.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
you update your headsets through the cardo website, in the cardo community. it shouldve been the first thing you did after opening the box. they all need updating, i was told.
the cardo phone app is to control your phone calls, music, intercom connections, etc... most people find it easier to use the voice commands of the cardo and/or siri.

which iphone model do you have?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive been thinking about the same thing. this is what im going to try this weekend. there are 2 phone channels and a gps channel. i was told to pair the bike to the gps channel and that would free up a phone channel. bluetooth the phone to the cardo. turn off bluetooth on the phone when youll be plugging in your phone into the bike for carplay. then turn blue tooth on your phone when you want to use the cardo app. you may have to unplug the phone from the bike to use the bluetooth though. i dont know which would have priority or if theyd both work.
Give it a try, then post back your results. I might do the same except I would screw things up and everything is working good now. The only thing I want was the settings feature.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hope I am reading what you are doing wrong. The first thing I do after taking my PackTalk Bold off the chargers and go out to my bike is turn them both on so they can connect to each other. Hold the On buttons down until you get a flashing green light on each unit. This means the helmet intercom are connected using Mesh, not Bluetooth. I do this before I even attach to units to our helmets. I then go out to the bike on put it in accessory mode until the unitsvtell me they are connected to the bike. Then and only then do I connect my phone to the USB cord in the tank compartment of the bike. If your phone is an iPhone Car Play should open automatically.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I hope I am reading what you are doing wrong. The first thing I do after taking my PackTalk Bold off the chargers and go out to my bike is turn them both on so they can connect to each other. Hold the On buttons down until you get a flashing green light on each unit. This means the helmet intercom are connected using Mesh, not Bluetooth. I do this before I even attach to units to our helmets. I then go out to the bike on put it in accessory mode until the unitsvtell me they are connected to the bike. Then and only then do I connect my phone to the USB cord in the tank compartment of the bike. If your phone is an iPhone Car Play should open automatically.
yea, i do the same. i dont have any problems getting carplay to come on and work every time. that comment was about using the cardo app during a ride.

-do you have your packtalk connected to the bike through a phone channel or the gps channel?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
'Packtalk Bold duo' headsets should arrive already paired to each other in DMC mode, leaving the 2 channels available for other devices.

The downloadable cardo instructions suggest:

2.5 PAIRING YOUR UNIT TO BLUETOOTH DEVICES

Your PACKTALK BOLD has two Bluetooth channels for connection to Bluetooth devices such as mobile phones,
GPS devices, and Bluetooth music players with A2DP.

To connect your unit to a Bluetooth device, you must first pair them. Once paired, they automatically recognize
each other whenever they are within range.

If you are pairing more than one device, Cardo recommends that you pair the mobile phone to channel 1, and
the additional device (such as GPS, music player or additional mobile phone) to channel 2.
If you are pairing the unit to more than one mobile phone, the phone paired with channel 1 is the default phone
for outgoing calls.

I'm not seeing any reference in the downloadable Packtalk Bold manual to a GPS specific channel?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
'Packtalk Bold duo' headsets should arrive already paired to each other in DMC mode, leaving the 2 channels available for other devices.

The downloadable cardo instructions suggest:

2.5 PAIRING YOUR UNIT TO BLUETOOTH DEVICES

Your PACKTALK BOLD has two Bluetooth channels for connection to Bluetooth devices such as mobile phones,
GPS devices, and Bluetooth music players with A2DP.

To connect your unit to a Bluetooth device, you must first pair them. Once paired, they automatically recognize
each other whenever they are within range.

If you are pairing more than one device, Cardo recommends that you pair the mobile phone to channel 1, and
the additional device (such as GPS, music player or additional mobile phone) to channel 2.
If you are pairing the unit to more than one mobile phone, the phone paired with channel 1 is the default phone
for outgoing calls.

I'm not seeing any reference in the downloadable Packtalk Bold manual to a GPS specific channel?
if you get to channel 2, like youre pairing to channel 2 and roll the dial slightly, itll take you to a gps channel.

cardo tech told me to pair the bike to the gps channel.
is your phone paired to the Packtalk? if so, channel 1 and the bike on channel 2?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
if you get to channel 2, like youre pairing to channel 2 and roll the dial slightly, itll take you to a gps channel.

cardo tech told me to pair the bike to the gps channel.
is your phone paired to the Packtalk? if so, channel 1 and the bike on channel 2?

I was coming back (obviously to late:wink2:) to edit my post to say that I found that in the pocket guide.
Still haven't found it in the full (downloaded) manual.:serious:

I just got my Packtalk Bold JBL set (graduated from a discontinued cardo model), --- but I'm playing with an android phone.

Currently have phone paired one ch 1 - and also to bike.
Bike paired on ch 2 (as mobile phone2, rather than gps).

For years, I've been using a flashdrive on the usb input, currently testing with using phone as the music source, both via usb and also bt source to bike or direct to headset (not all at same time...).

USB control on 1833 is crappy (and different than carplay, according to the manual).
I've got 1000's and 1000's of miles of the usb input experience/practice on the 1832. the 1833 is definitely U]worse[/U] that on the 1832's. (I'm using the same usb device on the 1833)

Only have a little time invested so far, but still haven't found the combo that gives me the control of MP3's and the navi input that I want.

Seems both the bike and PackTalk Bold think they should be the 'main unit' in the headset/bike/phone interconnection.
Voice control from headset might make it better to just use headset as main control when Carplay isn't in use.

Clearly I need more trial time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts