GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Packtalk Bold JBL Duo set for my wife and myself. I’m pretty impressed with the quality of the sound. We’ve only scratched the surface of what these units will do. If you are a Packtalk Bold user, I have a few questions for you.

1. I can't get "Hey Cardo" to respond, no matter how softly or loudly I speak. Any suggestions?

2. Since we purchased the Duo set, the factory default for intercom is through the DMC mode and is pre paired in that mode. In the DMC intercom mode, if I'm listening to the radio or aother music source (Apple Car Play, etc), the volume is reduced to about 1/2 for the music. I have to press the roller wheel switch to turn off the DMC intercom to get the volume back for the music or other audio sources. Is there a way to keep the volume of the music sources up except while speaking on the intercom via the DMC mode?

3. If we switch to Bluetooth intercom, is it correct that we will have to press a button to talk & press again when we stop talking? Should we switch to Bluetooth intercom to avoid the problems listed in question #2?

4. The unit has two BT channels. I have the bike's audio system linked to one channel and an external Garmin GPS to the other. If I want to use the Cardo phone app to change settings or set up a mesh group with my phone, the phone has to be paired to the Cardo BT unit. This kicks the bike to Cardo pairing out. Suggestions?

5. An alternative way to change the settings is through "Cardo Community", where you plug your BT unit into a USB port on your computer. When I try this, I keep getting a "no device connected" message, and all the setting menus are greyed out. I am fully registered and the settings page recognizes me and my desktop computer (Imac). I use Chrome, which Cardo suggests for software upgrades. ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Unpair everything paired...use the factory default reset procedure. Make sure you have the latest Cardo Updater software installed on your computer (that took me 4 tries). Update the units to the latest firmware. Re-pair one device at a time and make sure it works before pairing the next device. When using the "Hey Cardo" command, just use a normal voice volume....shouting or speaking softer doesn't seem to work. Don't give up....sometimes you have to try pairing devices a few times or in a different order....experiment with pairing order. I have found the less paired devices the better off you are. Good Luck!
https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/pocket/en/packtalk.pdf

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've NEVER had a problem with the music volume increasing once the DMC intercom conversation is over. Could it be you or your passenger are getting too much wind noise in the mic?

What number do you have the bike's music volume set at? I have mine in the low teens and rarely touch the Cardo's wheel to increase volume.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unpair everything paired...use the factory default reset procedure. Make sure you have the latest Cardo Updater software installed on your computer (that took me 4 tries). Update the units to the latest firmware. Re-pair one device at a time and make sure it works before pairing the next device. When using the "Hey Cardo" command, just use a normal voice volume....shouting or speaking softer doesn't seem to work. Don't give up....sometimes you have to try pairing devices a few times or in a different order....experiment with pairing order. I have found the less paired devices the better off you are. Good Luck!
https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/pocket/en/packtalk.pdf
I will unpair everything as you suggest. When setting up and registering the units, I installed the latest firmware on both which was just released last week, and got the message that they were successfully updated. We use my wife's unit only for intercom. She does not want the radio, music, CB chatter or any other sounds on her BT. Hopefully the resetting and starting over will get it functioning properly.

One suggestion I got from remoandiris was that possibly the wind noise was turning on the intercom, thereby reducing the background music volume, however, as soon as we turn my wife's unit on, the volume in my unit immediately decreases to background level, even with the bike not running. The only way I've found to bring the music volume level back up is by pressing the roler wheel switch, which turns off the DMC intercom. To talk again, I have to press the wheel switch again.

It may be a day or two before I can get back to sorting things out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
One suggestion I got from remoandiris was that possibly the wind noise was turning on the intercom, thereby reducing the background music volume, however, as soon as we turn my wife's unit on, the volume in my unit immediately decreases to background level, even with the bike not running. The only way I've found to bring the music volume level back up is by pressing the roler wheel switch, which turns off the DMC intercom. To talk again, I have to press the wheel switch again.
That should definitely NOT be happening. When the Bold is turned on, the voice says "Packtalk Bold DMC intercom mode". That volume should be constant. Test it indoors. BTW, the flashing light on the Bold should be green in DMC mode.

There are a lot of vids on Youtube for the Bold. One of them might help. You'll just have to search.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That should definitely NOT be happening. When the Bold is turned on, the voice says "Packtalk Bold DMC intercom mode". That volume should be constant. Test it indoors. BTW, the flashing light on the Bold should be green in DMC mode.

There are a lot of vids on Youtube for the Bold. One of them might help. You'll just have to search.
Thanks,
Just turned them on again. They both greet with, "Packtalk Bold DMC intercom mode". Bike was shut off. Turned both off. Turned mine on & tuned in an FM station. I then turned hers on and my volume immediately went to low background.

Will start from scratch hopefully tomorrow, bringing them back to factory defaults and start over, I'll post what happens.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Don't forget to adjust the mixer settings in the Cardo Connect smartphone app. This is where you can adjust the audio mixing volumes between all of the various sources.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Will start from scratch hopefully tomorrow, bringing them back to factory defaults and start over, I'll post what happens.
Remember to pair yours to the bike as the rider and her's as the passenger. Also remember the phone or whatever else, is paired to the BIKE, not to the headsets. With that said, is she wants to listen to different music than you, do NOT pair her headset to the bike...pair it to HER phone or whatever BT device she will use for HER music.

And if you're using an iPhone, you don't pair the phone to the bike. You plug it in the USB port.

·
Administrator
4,114 Posts
You can actually call Cardo and a real live person will actually talk to you, who knows what they are talking about. Several months ago that wouldn't happen......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remember to pair yours to the bike as the rider and her's as the passenger. Also remember the phone or whatever else, is paired to the BIKE, not to the headsets. With that said, is she wants to listen to different music than you, do NOT pair her headset to the bike...pair it to HER phone or whatever BT device she will use for HER music.

And if you're using an iPhone, you don't pair the phone to the bike. You plug it in the USB port.
The cardo needs to be paired to your phone to configure settings using the app on your phone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have the Packtalk Bold Duo and after a year of using the DMC intercom mode we switched over to bluetooth intercom. With the DMC we would occasionally get wind buffeting in one of our mics which would cut off the music and put a lot of static through the speaker. The BT intercom is only on when you want to talk and you push the button to activate or deactivate the intercom. Works like a charm. No more buffeting noise in the speakers and since the intercom is not on constantly your battery should last longer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

iPhone-Yes. Paired to bike- No.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

All she wants is intercom. She Does Not want to hear anything else, including music. So I didn't pair her headset with anything. The Duo set came pre linked to each other via DMC intercom. I did pair my Garmin GPS directly to my headset. So you're saying I should pair the Garmin to the bike instead?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All she wants is intercom. She Does Not want to hear anything else, including music. So I didn't pair her headset with anything. The Duo set came pre linked to each other via DMC intercom. I did pair my Garmin GPS directly to my headset. So you're saying I should pair the Garmin to the bike instead?
AND, I use Car Play for Pandora music just about every time I ride. It works great.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can actually call Cardo and a real live person will actually talk to you, who knows what they are talking about. Several months ago that wouldn't happen......
".......who knows what they are talking about. " You mean they Don't know what they are talking about? LOL.
I think you meant "and they know what they are talking about.".

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't help it. As Flip Wilson said, "The Devil made me do it! "

GOV5, Chief of Grammar Police

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you have to pair the headsets to your phone to use the phone app and make the headset adjustments. when youre on the bike though just make sure the BT connections between the bike and the headsets are off. there are a lot of adjustments and connections to be made with the app. the latest version is 5.6. came out last week. make sure youre updated. i go into the cardo website and connect my PTs via usb cable and itll tell me if theyre up to date.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
you have to pair the headsets to your phone to use the phone app and make the headset adjustments.
Not arguing the point, but I thought I read a post several weeks back about iPhone users NOT pairing the Cardo to the phone, just pairing the Cardo to the bike. Maybe that was pre-latest firmware version.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
One other suggestion is to check Youtube for vids on pairing the Cardo to a 2018+. I admit to NOT being a fan of that guy who has a popular vlog. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Plus he's not a mechanic, just a trial and error guy. But, maybe his, or one of the other vids, can help you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts