GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
UPDATE ON MY ISSUES:
I returned the Duo units and received the new set today. I also got a response from the support team, (pasted below). The Cardo Duo set actually worked right out of the box. I updated the firmware, tweeted the settings with the Cardo app and it's almost working properly. The only issue I've run across is that the "Hey Cardo" function works about one in ten tries. Not sure if a setting will help that. Will fiddle with it tomorrow.

Technical Support response: If I read it correctly it says: If you want to use your Goldwing on board audio functions, you can't use the intercom or Hey Cardo! WHAT??
Well, you DEFINITELY CAN use the intercom in DMC.

As far as using the "Hey Cardo", I kind of understand not being able to use that. For example, using voice, you can tell Cardo to increase volume. When connected to the bike, you use the toggle switch on the left handlebar. The bike also has it's own phone call capabilities, so there would be a conflict with Cardo software if the Cardo was connected to the bike.

I've never used the Hey Cardo functions. Considering the Cardo (and other headsets) are used with a lot of bikes that do not have built in audio systems, I understand the reason why Cardo has functions that are not compatible with other bikes, like our GLs, HD tourers as well as BMW tourers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks,
Just turned them on again. They both greet with, "Packtalk Bold DMC intercom mode". Bike was shut off. Turned both off. Turned mine on & tuned in an FM station. I then turned hers on and my volume immediately went to low background.

Will start from scratch hopefully tomorrow, bringing them back to factory defaults and start over, I'll post what happens.
I have the same problems with my Packtalk Slim. When the DMC intercom is turned on, not being talked on, music or sirius radio volumes are too low to hear. Turn off DMC intercom and the music audio goes back up to a useful level. Hey Cardo has an unmute audio command. That makes no difference. In fact "Hey Cardo" commands work maybe 10% of the time for anything. These problems are true while sitting still or moving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, you DEFINITELY CAN use the intercom in DMC.

As far as using the "Hey Cardo", I kind of understand not being able to use that. For example, using voice, you can tell Cardo to increase volume. When connected to the bike, you use the toggle switch on the left handlebar. The bike also has it's own phone call capabilities, so there would be a conflict with Cardo software if the Cardo was connected to the bike.

I've never used the Hey Cardo functions. Considering the Cardo (and other headsets) are used with a lot of bikes that do not have built in audio systems, I understand the reason why Cardo has functions that are not compatible with other bikes, like our GLs, HD tourers as well as BMW tourers.
The Cardo units have their own amp and volume controls built into the units. When you say "Hey Cardo volume up" it is turning up the volume on the Cardo, not the bike, phone or external music player.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's not the cardos. It's Hondas sorry BT version 2.1+EDR. You can not use Hondas junk system and the cardos or any sena at full potential with the Wing. You are locked into a certain mode of operation. If you deviate from Honda/Harmon Kardon's mode of operation and protocol, failure is your friend Sir. You have to use cardos very good app to get all your settings right and setup independent of Hondas junk system. Set yours up with your phone and hers with her phone. Then unpair the phones from the cardos. I know it's dumb as can be. Then make sure yours and the wifes cardos are paired on the standard bluetooth. Then pair your cardo to Wing as #1 and hers as #2. Then you can pair the phone to the bike, but if you want to use carplay or the pending android auto you have to turn your cell phone pairing with the bike off. It really is utterly stupid how Honda/HK screwed this up with BT 2.1+EDR from 2008. The 2.1 was the very first version of BT to have hub function. And it's a dumb hub. It has no ability to prioritise channels, nodes or data transfer. The +EDR is a very cheap and dirty way to basically side stream data because 2.1 alone did not have the needed bandwidth to keep the connects/nodes/pairing and through put the data needed in one package. BT version 3.0 was the first smart hub that ran like a little network and priorities became a thing of the past from setup to use and user interface. So with that little bit of knowledge understood and set aside let's look at the Honda system. We have a navi that is a slightly changed honda car navi from 2006. Our units have real memory for storage and are not dvd driven, but we lost the touch screen. So we can only operate them through buttons in a very archaic manor. And if setup correctly we get audio from navi, whoopi. FM reception is bad at best. Both my sena 10s and cardos have better built in FM reception. We have the ability to use the main usb cable for carplay or up coming aa or we can use it as a data port to listen to music. Or add another usb cable for data only. So I really don't gain much by using Hondas truly out of date system. And the cardos are impressive used as stand alone. Pair them up with each other. Wife can have her phone paired, I have mine paired, we both have our cardo app, she can listen to her music. I listen to mine or we can share music or phone calls, txt msg. They will do more than either one of us will ever use and sound pretty good to boot. My old iphone 8 has 256 gig of storage. Just with the 30+ gig of music I have on it now I could listen to music for better than 3 months and never hear the same tune twice if I wanted. I can use phone navi and be just fine. And still use hondas way sub par navi if I needed to because of lost or low cell signal. And if I have to have carplay I can buy it and put it on my phone. Honda put more into the marketing of there infotainment system than they did in tech. Every bit of it is old and outdated tech. On one hand it kind of pissed me of,,,, it did piss me off. But on the other I have a really great cardo duo system that is really good. I still have hondas junk if I need it with a outdated navi, fm from the stone age and a audio system that sounds like a boom box from the dollar tree. It's a win for me...
Just for reference. I'm on a 2001 abs Goldwing. I'm using an external bluetooth adapter plugged into the bike's wired audio output. My bluetooth adapter is 4.1. The volume problem is built into the Packtalk along with the Hey Cardo voice command problem. It has nothing to do with the bluetooth music source.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
When you say "Hey Cardo volume up" it is turning up the volume on the Cardo, not the bike, phone or external music player.
Yes, I understand that is the way it is SUPPOSED to work. However, it seems when paired to the 2018+, the bike has master control and the Hey Cardo functions are not available. If NOT paired, those functions should be available.

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
The problem is Hondas/HK's BT version is 2.1+EDR, it's now 12 years old! It has a very basic hub function setup by pairing order. It's basically what a bluetooth keyboard and mouse works on and that's all it was ever intended for,,,, very very basic set and locked hub function. <...>
<...>
So Honda used a severely out dated BT version.<...>
Interesting technical synopsis of BT versions, @blast - nicely done.

I can only surmise that using a BT version that low may have been (1) cost savings (2) design intent (3) both 1 & 2.

Sure, buying 50,000 BT chipsets for use in this system was dirt-cheap, but what was around in ~2016 - during the time that this system was being designed? BT 4.x, most likely would be bleeding edge technology. In fact, it's quite possible that the Honda system and the H-D system (and maybe other powersports systems...) quite possibly share some design similarities. So, you're not buying 50,000 BT chipsets, but maybe 100,000 BT chipsets.

So, your vendor has taken the 'cheap way' out of the problem, yet made it much more challenging for both users and those maintaining the system (Honda/H-D/HK) to keep things working for their users. Imagine the headaches five years from now.

BT 4.x probably solves the issue. Now imagine the design work it would take to upgrade the head unit to allow this to happen. Probably mainboard out, mainboard in. Blow in some firmware, and call it a day, right? o_O

Does this truly surprise me that Honda - and H-D - and other powersport OEM took this way out of the problem?

Nope, not at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I can only surmise that using a BT version that low may have been (1) cost savings (2) design intent (3) both 1 & 2.

Sure, buying 50,000 BT chipsets for use in this system was dirt-cheap, but what was around in ~2016 - during the time that this system was being designed? BT 4.x, most likely would be bleeding edge technology. In fact, it's quite possible that the Honda system and the H-D system (and maybe other powersports systems...) quite possibly share some design similarities. So, you're not buying 50,000 BT chipsets, but maybe 100,000 BT chipsets.

So, your vendor has taken the 'cheap way' out of the problem, yet made it much more challenging for both users and those maintaining the system (Honda/H-D/HK) to keep things working for their users. Imagine the headaches five years from now.

BT 4.x probably solves the issue. Now imagine the design work it would take to upgrade the head unit to allow this to happen. Probably mainboard out, mainboard in. Blow in some firmware, and call it a day, right? o_O

Does this truly surprise me that Honda - and H-D - and other powersport OEM took this way out of the problem?

Nope, not at all.

Nope, not at all.
Honestly Honda and HK screwed this up royal over a nickel 98 pos china bt part. The only way they got it cheaper than bt 3.0 is if they bought out some old new stock junk bt 2.1+edr. But who knows,,, maybe Hk and Honda thought it prudent to pay more to run new bt 2.1+edr and pay more for less. No matter what it's ate up with stupid! And Honda has been perfecting stupid for the last 10 years. I use to buy nothing but Honda cars. Well Honda completely screwed them up. So no more Honda cars. And a lot of Honda fateful are walking away from there complete product line because of the insanely stupid stuff they are doing now days. They use to be very focused. Now there all over the place. Seems there robotic and budding aircraft that's done nothing but lose money is taking priority over motorcycles and cars now days.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts