GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Cardo Packtalk bold unit.

My intention is to use Carplay for the phone connection (not pair the cardo to the phone, just to the bike)

A few questions
Which mode did you pair the bike to your packtalk bold? As a phone (Primary channel) or to the secondary channel (for another phone/gps/music device)?

Is there a good reason to pair the phone with the packtalk bold itself vs using pairing it with the bike and using carplay only?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
If you are planning on using carplay through the bike, do NOT pair the phone directly to your headset. Doing so will only introduce headaches that you do NOT need. You need only do the most basic pairing between the bike to the headset. No need to pair it as a GPS or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
IIRC, most people here plug their Iphone into the bike vs. making a BT connection.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have my Packtalk Bolds paired to the bike and the iphone, separate channels. I keep the bluetooth turned off on the phone unless I want to change something using the Packtalk app. Never have bike and phone bluetooth connected at the same time. I can't remember which one is to bike and which one is to phone. I don't think it matters.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
pair the headset to the bike and connect the phone via cable. even if you dont use everything right now, you will. you can have your music playing through the phone, waze warning you of road debris and ploice, siri looking for fuel stations or restaurants, etc....its just as easy and as long as you turn off your phone BT, you wont have any issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drgsin
I use my usb cable for playing mp3 music,
I bluetoothed my phone to the bike for apple play and phone use,
I just paired my Cardo to the bike (which I haven't used yet)
Are You Saying I'm going to have issues?
Should I reconfig everything?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Drgsin
I use my usb cable for playing mp3 music,
I bluetoothed my phone to the bike for apple play and phone use,
I just paired my Cardo to the bike (which I haven't used yet)
Are You Saying I'm going to have issues?
Should I reconfig everything?
Thanks
Is there a reason you usb AND bt? Why not do one or the other?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
i would buy another usb cable and connect it under the seat in the back. you can snake it into your saddle bag easily and have your MP3s. then do the rest, as i mentioned up front in the cubby

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have another usb in the same front compartment and another in the trunk, they only have 5v power to charge a phone.
As far as I know there is no way to have two usb's as a data input.
I plug my phone into the power usb and the music into the data usb.
I will try it until I have issues and then I can try and load music onto the phone and plug in to data usb.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have another usb in the same front compartment and another in the trunk, they only have 5v power to charge a phone.
As far as I know there is no way to have two usb's as a data input.
I plug my phone into the power usb and the music into the data usb.
I will try it until I have issues and then I can try and load music onto the phone and plug in to data usb.
I believe Brian Fenner confirmed the second USB connection supports data. I plan on installing that cable to my saddlebag once it warms up... I was told by more than one person that the 2nd USB connection from Honda supports data as well as power.

Also here

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I believe Brian Fenner confirmed the second USB connection supports data. I plan on installing that cable to my saddlebag once it warms up... I was told by more than one person that the 2nd USB connection from Honda supports data as well as power.

Also here
Correct......The second USB port will support USB drives for music but will not support CarPlay, only USB #1 works for that.
I have USB #1 attached to my iPhone 11 for CarPlay and USB #2 attached to a flash drive for music.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As Brian Fenner stated, USB1 and USB2 can play music and charge devices. Only USB1 communicates with the Wing's mobile network. The attached may be of help to some.

Note the USB1 and USB 2 Audio Unit connectors are keyed differently. This is accomplished through the use of a [removable] plastic insert in the cord's connector. Location and functionality desired dictate the key required.

USB_Cords.png

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Brian Fenner stated, USB1 and USB2 can play music and charge devices. Only USB1 communicates with the Wing's mobile network. The attached may be of help to some.

Note the USB1 and USB 2 Audio Unit connectors are keyed differently. This is accomplished through the use of a [removable] plastic insert in the cord's connector. Location and functionality desired dictate the key required.

View attachment 365785
Ahhh! Excellent info. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Do you think its possible to get another main cable for the length and plug it into the second port are are then different plugs?

·
Registered
147 Posts
"Do you think its possible to get another main cable for the length and plug it into the second port are are then different plugs?
The USB connectors on the Audio Unit are keyed; USB1 at 9 o'clock, and USB2 at 3 o'clock. The various USB cords are keyed to match their intended use/port on the Audio Unit. To use a Center Pocket USB Cord [39190-MKC-305] intended for USB1 with USB2, you would need to remove the 9 o'clock insert and replace it with a 3 o'clock insert found on either the 08E79-MKC-A00 or 39115-MKC-A01.

This is a pic of the insert from the 08E79-MKC-A00 USB Cord Kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
After looking at your picture and thinking it through,
I'm getting the Long USB 1 cord and I'm going to flip the collar around from 9 oclock to 3 oclock and see if that works.
Or take the 3 oclock collar out of the dummy plug.
What do you think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts